German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading about WalkyDog and would like your expert advice. Has anyone used this and if so, how old do you think a dog should be before using this device? It seems like Lucy's breeder said we should not start jogging with her until she was at least 10 months old and then start slowly.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I do not know about specific age for running, but one of my previous foster dog's mom bought the Walky Dog. They love it.

I did some research into it, but opted to go with the Bike Tow Leash instead. It is a little pricier, but has a lower center of gravity. The Walky Dog hooks under the bike seat . . .the Bike Tow Leash attaches to the back tire of the bike. I plan to use it too, and am more of a clutz than my husband, so thought this would keep me from going over on the bike. So far he has used it and really likes it -- I haven't yet.

So far our current foster and our dogs just love running with this -- they are all older though. Hopefully someone can give you the age recommendation. Our foster dog is 2, our dogs are 10 and 7 -- the foster dogs runs all out and LOVES it. Of course, our dogs are a little older, so they don't run all out, but at a nice jog.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I have the Bike Tow Leash and love it! It helps if your dog knows commands for stopping, turning right, left etc. I pretty much hooked it up to the bike and to Max (w/harness) and took off. I would have been afraid to try anything that didn't have the low center of gravity, as Max will sometimes pull if he sees another dog. He can't tip the bike or run in front of it. It's pretty well designed. He can control how fast he wants to go so I don't worry running him too hard. I really don't need to pedal!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I have used a Springer and a K9 Cruiser bike attachment, but not a Walky Dog. I really liked the K9 Cruiser. Unfortunately my bike was stolen with the attachment on it so I no longer have one.
I would do repeated/stenuous running with a dog until their growth plates close, which is generally around 14-18 months for GSDs, but some can have later closing growth plates so personally I'd err on the side of caution unless you have x-rays that show the growth plates are closed.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have the walky dog, love it. None of the dogs have been able to pull me down, even when they jerked pretty hard. You feel a slight tug, no wheres near enough to lose your balance (and I am not very balanced as it is). Nash is the biggest at 75 pounds. You really shouldn't start running your dog until she is close to done growing (around 18 months). If you do run her younger than that, stay on dirt trails (off of road/sidewalks) and keep it slow and short.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts