German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12 wk old pup. When we go for walks she doesn't seem to want to go. I will first take her outside to let her do her business and afterwords will go for a walk but when we start to leave the front yard she stops and I have to keep encouriging her to go. I don't pull on the leash, I will just stop and in a high voice say "Let's go". She does this periodically as we go on our walk. I take a treat bag with us so when she walks beside me I will give a click give her a treat and praise.
Also, while we are walking if she hears another dog barking she will some times walk between my legs (under me).
Is this normal and what is the best way to correct the behavior.

Thanks
http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u347/jharmon3/DSC_0156-1.jpg

·
Registered
598 Posts
Puppies this age will just plop down on the ground and stop playing/walking when they are tired. If they do this, don't force them to continue - they know when they should stop. As she gets older (and it won't take long), she'll start lasting longer.

She is a gorgeous little puppy!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
What a cute girl you have!

As I understand, Jeff's pup doesn't lie down but simply refuses to go outside the house/backyard. My puppies were the same at this age.

I solved the problem by going to new places every day and walk and socialize there. Even to these days they go to the car by default after we get out of the house.

As walking between your legs, I would ignore this behaviour and sound very upbeat and happy. I actually have a specific word for dogs barking behind fences, and when I say it my dogs relax and absolutely don't pay attention to the barking.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
If you dog is just standing there, to get him to walk I pulled on the leash to make him go forwards. At first we walked up the street and back. As the pup builds stamina we started making it further and further.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
How often is your pup on a leash? Just for walks?

Put a drag leash on her. Let her drag it through the house and yard. Pick it up now and then, and play with her. Take off trotting, skipping, whoo-hooing and having lots of fun. Play with her and her toys while she has the leash attached to her. It's possible that she simply isn't associating being on a leash with having fun.

Then, as Oksana says, take her new places, fun places, places so exciting that she doesn't even realize that she's not at home. She should have (or should be about to get) her 3rd set of vaccines. So she should be able to go most places safely (I still avoid dog parks, heavily trafficked pet stores like PetSmart, etc). But that leaves a lot of wonderful places to go.

Sit outside a school and let her greet older children (squat and put her between your legs; show the children how to give her a small treat and pet her on the chest so she feels safe). Enroll her in puppy classes if you haven't already. If you have, take her to the academy where you take your classes on different nights and just stand off to the side while other dogs come and go into THEIR classes. You don't have to socialize with the other dogs; she can just watch. And sniff and smell all the wonderful smells of other dogs. If you see owners just hanging out, ask them if they (the person) will greet your pup. Go visit friends, especially dog loving friends with very well behaved dogs. Be creative. There are so many interesting places you can take your puppy; she will quite literally forget that she either hates being on a leash and/or is timid about leaving your yard. She will quickly be one of those dogs that rushes to the gate as soon as you pick up the leash and your car keys.

And walking her will be a breeze.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I've had luck getting puppies to move forward by simply walking on. Drop the leash and walk forward. They will not sit there by themselves. If you get 10 or 12 feet away, they'll go "hey, wait! I'm coming!" and then run to you--then you praise.

Tugging on the leash will (in my experience) just get the puppy to dig in harder.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I agree with what Luca said...you don't really want to pull them along. I made this mistake with my GSD and when he got out of the "i'm not cool with walking" phase. It was harder than heck to walk with him on a loose leash. I'm assuming because of the sensation of the tug.

Another thing...and I'm sure this is been said hundreds of times, but cannot be stressed enough. When coming up to a crossing of the road. Command sit...then treat & reward. You may be able to stop her now. But, it won't be as easy when she's full grown. Plus, it instills positive reinforcement. I'm surprised on how quickly my pup picked up on this. I don't even have to use the command now. And I'm sure it goes the same with the GSD breed.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Two out of 2 of my GSD's did this when puppies.

I do not agree with pulling them along, and I haven't the patience to wait for them to get over this (and it's not really 'exercise' for a puppy either).

What DID work for us is I only used the yard for the poops/peeps. And once a day I'd pick up the puppy, put her in the car, and we would DRIVE somewhere new. Could be down the block to a park. Or to a friends. Or for a hike. or...........................

When we were somewhere 'new' both my pups would walk along like champs, meeting and greeting and having fun. But it just seemed like if we were home they just wanted to stay by the house and it didn't work at all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Originally Posted By: Luca_stlI've had luck getting puppies to move forward by simply walking on. Drop the leash and walk forward. They will not sit there by themselves. If you get 10 or 12 feet away, they'll go "hey, wait! I'm coming!" and then run to you--then you praise.

Tugging on the leash will (in my experience) just get the puppy to dig in harder.
I would not let the leash go and walk away if you are not on your property or live on a busy street this could be bad news if your pup runs away from you or decides they want to explore.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I understand that some of you disagree with me, but when I have gently pulled on the lead and kept walking, the pup didn't pull back, but just walked forward.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
That's the beauty of a site like this---one gets to hear about the varying experiences of lots of different dog owners. What works for one pup may not work for another. That doesn't make anybody wrong. But it can be helpful to hear about other ideas that one might not have thought of. If a gentle tug gets a pup moving...then go for it. If, on the other hand, it makes the pup dig in, then try something else. If dropping the leash doesn't work in your particular situation, then you have to find a different way (long lead?). It's all about trying different things till you get the results you want.

·
Registered
742 Posts
When I take my 7 month old puppy for a walk, she will sometimes lie down and refuse to get up. At first I used to prop up her bottome to try to get her in the upright position. This soon turned into a game to her including her whipping her head around to nip me. Although I don't like to do it, now I walk away from her. As soon as I am out of her sight she will get up and run over to where she last saw me.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my puppy didn't always follow me or my GF.
Originally Posted By: Luca_stlI've had luck getting puppies to move forward by simply walking on. Drop the leash and walk forward. They will not sit there by themselves. If you get 10 or 12 feet away, they'll go "hey, wait! I'm coming!" and then run to you--then you praise.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
i am having the same problem with Sami 4 months old. he does a stand off everytime i put him on a leash to walk. i also bring yummie food, and am very happy and upbeat about it. i know its a puppy thing, a stage most of them go through. i don't believe in pulling them either, but then again, some puppies are smart enough to realize they are getting their own way and figure out when they stop walking and start again they will get a treat. i think it becomes sort of a game to them. i also walk along, not really pullling the leash but letting him know i am going to keep walking and he needs to follow. they all have different personalities, some figure things out early on, and are smarter than we think.

debbie

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was having the same problem, but the more walks Tripp and I went on, the better he got. I have also walked away and it only takes him seconds to realize I'm not there and come where I am.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
yep, when they do the stubborn puppy stand off, walking away does help. Sami will also do this in his crate in the car. i open his crate door and he doesn't want to come out. so i walk away, or throw a treat on the ground, and he comes out. definitely it gets better the more they get out, some take longer than others, but they all soon discover going places, walks etc, are fun!

debbie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts