German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How soon after pups second vaccination can we take him out for walks?

Yoshi had his second jab yesterday at 11 weeks exactly. There’s a fate going on in our town on Sunday and we would love to take him but not sure if we can? He weighed in at 10.9kg yesterday so will be well over 11 by Sunday so far too heavy to carry.

Our vet has said a week, looking online some say a few days, some a week, some 7-10 days and some 2 weeks...

TIA!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've always gone by 2 weeks. I've lost a pup to parvo before (back when no one had ever heard of it) and it really, really isn't worth the risk.

·
Registered
10,481 Posts
I have had dogs for over 40 years and never lost one by taking him/her out from the time I got them as a pup. But you need to use common sense. They need to see the world but without overdoing it. 5 minutes for a new exposure is OK. Let them walk on their own four feet. Do not let them sniff grassy, poop, pee or soil-like areas. Not sure what you mean by a 'fate' but I would take him.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I have never had a dog get sick going out right at 8 weeks either, but all it takes is once. I would be comfortable taking him, but I would not allow him to greet other dogs or smell poop or obvious pee spots. I would probably keep him moving so he doesn't have the chance to get into something you can't see. Moving may also cut back on some of the people that will be making beelines for you. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts