German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 10-month old has always gotten plenty of exercise. Daily walks and fetch sessions are routine. On the weekends we often take him hiking (well, in the summer!). But I've noticed that the hour walk he gets in the evening doesn't seem to have ANY effect on him! In fact, when he gets back home he's ready to play.

He seems to get much more from a session of fetch than he does from walking. We walk at a pretty decent pace and I've even loaded him up with a backpack, on occasion, with bottles of water but nope - he doesn't seem to show any signs of being tired. We would much rather walk him for an hour than to give him another 15 min session of fetch as we think it's better for him to get out and explore but if all it does is tee him up to play then is this really beneficial for him?

How about you folks? Does your daily walk seem to have any effect on your pooch?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh is 10 mos old too and he seems to have a new surge of puppy energy, more endurance than energy I guess. We go for a daily off leash hike in the woods, 30 mins of frisbee in the morning and training and more play in the afternoon. Used to be enough- now even another hike in the evening still doesn't wear him out. That's why I'm starting herding training. Not something a lot of people have access to, but thankfully I do. So to answer your question- no, it's not enough lately

·
Registered
32,009 Posts
Walking just stretches Jax's muscles out. :) We could go for a three mile walk around the country block with hills and she's ready for a good bout of frisbee when we get home. I'm ready for bed!

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
Mental exercise wears out a dog as much as the physical...
Tracking is mental and most dogs really love it.
I've walked Karlo on the 6 mile loop and by about the 4th he starts to slow down some.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Wolfie doesn't get very tired form our walks. I do some training with him if I really want to tire him out.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it sounds like different dogs have different drives at this age.

Stosh - I wish we had access to herding, that would be great!

Still interested in hearing from others!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I agree with others that mental stimulation often makes them more tired than physical activity. Maybe a flirt pole would help?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
your dog probably has built up to walking for a hour
or more. playing fetch after the walk should/might help.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I walk with my dog two hours a day, one walking the other I run with him then after our run I do a little flirt pole work with him.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We don't have a flirt pole but I do sometimes play tug with him after his walk. We did so today but didn't really help much as he got the zoomies shortly thereafter!

We do sometimes incorporate a fetch session into the walk, if we are short on time, but don't want to get him to dependent on just fetching. He already gets about 30mins a day of it! He does love it though.

The GF is training him right now so hopefully this helps!

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
the training should help. Getting him to think about it will drain a lot of energy, flirt poles get a lot of energy out too, I incorporate drop it, leave it, and an emergency down while i'm playing with it.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Fritz gets about 3 hours of walks/dog play/ball play/swimming a day. The walks are only for 1 on 1 bonding or some training,drains no energy at all. He needs to run like **** or swim like a fish.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Brody gets 20-30 min in the morning playing fetch, a 30 min walk with me and then another 20-30 min fetch session at night, also playing with our other dog, and training. He still has tons of energy in between. He does takes naps...I call it "recharging" :)

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Being out with my dog in different ways affect them differently.

As far as 'exercise'............. if it's on a leash then it's not exercise at all as far as they are concerned. But it IS more one on one bonding with me. I do a bit of training (my dogs MUST always sit before we cross any road), learning not to pull. Great socialization with other dogs/people we meet when walking. So walking on leash is definitely a good thing.

Now if we are talking 'exercise' I need to have them off leash and running. Chuckit is great (Chuckit on a hill even better :) ), hiking, swimming, canoeing, etc. :wild:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts