German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have given up on letting other people walk with me and my dog outside some time ago. It doesn't matter if it's my sister, or a stranger who just happens to want talk for a bit, it'll give me a gigantic headache. If the person is walking in front of me, my pup pulls full force towards him (making those horrible choke-like sounds), if the person is behind me, he'll turn sideways and will try to pull towards that person. If the person is walking next to me, then he strangely enough has a few things he can do, jump on that person, pull in any direction (seems arbitrary), and doesn't seem responsive to me that much. I can give him treats for walking next to ne, but then I have to bring a gigantic bag full of it, because right after giving it he goes right back into his lunge position.
He is 6.5 months. I mostly enjoy walking alone with him, so it doesn't bother me that much. But I have "turned down" walks with others who wanted to catch up with me for it being too difficult to walk normally. Is it considered normal behavior, something I can do about it, or will it fade away eventually when he learns a better heel walk?

Another thing is jogging. I know I can't do any great distance with my pup on hard surface and surely do not intend to. My breeder told my I can do short distances (1/3 mile or less), preferably not on concrete, with my pup. He said that from 12 months on I can start increasing distances on other surfaces.
I sometimes "need" to run with him to catch the bus, escape the rain, or just for fun on grass. But I can't do it because he'll jump on me and will bite me in the arm/back. Should I start speeding up very slowly and give him treats for walking beside me until I reach the speed where gets excited and the stop immediately?

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
he needs to be trained to walk with other people in the group, the same as you taught him to walk with you alone. Correct him for getting out of position, pulling on the leash, etc. Take short walks at first. Reward him for keeping his focus for just a few steps.

I wouldn't do any jogging on pavement until closer to 18 months old.
For what you are describing, again train exactly like for any other walking. He's running and jumping because he's picking up on your excitement and doesn't know why you are "upset" and hurrying. Work with him on this when you AREN'T in a hurry.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he needs to be trained to walk with other people in the group, the same as you taught him to walk with you alone. Correct him for getting out of position, pulling on the leash, etc. Take short walks at first. Reward him for keeping his focus for just a few steps.

I wouldn't do any jogging on pavement until closer to 18 months old.
For what you are describing, again train exactly like for any other walking. He's running and jumping because he's picking up on your excitement and doesn't know why you are "upset" and hurrying. Work with him on this when you AREN'T in a hurry.
Very clear, thank you! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts