German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. This is not a problem per say, its more of an observation and I'm curious if anybody has any insight into why pups do this and what's going through their mind. This, to me, is actually a positive behavior. Because my pup walks so much better on the leash when she does this.

Anyway, wondering why my puppy grabs her leash around the collar and walks with it in her mouth. She walks VERY good when she does this. Almost like shes on rails. Doesn't chew on the leash or anything, just trots along without a care in the world. It's cute as **** and obviously makes for a better walk.

She already is a very good walker, but she's like perfect when she does this. I was wondering if this is some sort of calming behavior or something in their genetics that explains it. Or just simply what is your take on why they do this. And wondering if maybe I should make a toy for her to always carry around on walks.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I love it when a pup does this! She wants to work and carry something. She is proud of herself for "helping" you. She may enjoy carrying a ball or tug or other toy with her.

If she likes to pick things up and carry them, teach her to drop things on command - ever so useful!! Start by getting her to trade for treats or another toy. I had Gryffon trained to drop things into my hand when I asked him to. So handy for playing fetch!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I feel like she might get some confidence from it. Almost as if she's in control without having to pull and tug. I wish my dogs would do this, but even with extensive leash training they won't walk on a leash well without a prong collar, harness, or e-collar. You've got a good pup there. My shepherd has chewed through several leashes and harnesses at this point haha.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My pup does this too!! she has chewed through two leads so far, find it very annoying!! (and slightly cute). We've started to give her a toy to hold onto to distract her from the lead.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Two years in, Rachel still does this occasionally --- usually when she's feeling particularly affectionate and/or playful. She cocks her head to the side, looks me dead in the eye, and trots (in position, at my side) gaily holding the lead in her mouth. She's never chewed it, nor attempted to turn it into a tug. Most importantly, she'll drop it on command if I need to resume control. So, I generally laugh and tell her what a silly girl she is. It's one of the many games we play.

The only concern I might have is if the puppy/dog keeps trying to snatch the lead from your hand, or keeps trying to chew through the lead or keeps trying to turn it into a tug. IMO, those behaviors are disrespectful of the handler, the lead, and the communication between the two of you. Depending on the dog's age, I would gently, but clearly, discourage the behavior and introduce other objects (a real tug, a stuffie) to satisfy whatever need it is OR (again, depending on age and training) clearly tell them 'No' and resume whatever the activity is.

Aly

·
Registered
10,810 Posts
If my dogs want to carry something in casual situations, it will be a toy or a 'find' but never the leash. The leash means business.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts