German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's how I feel sometimes when I take Lucca out for walks or to the store. I've wanted a GSD my entire life, but I never realized how popular they were! Everywhere we go people want to stop and say hi to him, comment on some particular attribute, talk about the shepherds that have had or want to have, or just make general comments about the breed. I have even had multiple strangers ask if they could take his picture :confused: I have spent more time talking to people on my walks in the last month or so than I have in the past 6 years of walking my other dog. I find it kind of bazaar to be honest :crazy: But at the same time, it's neat to meet so many other people who admire this breed.

Anyone else have this happen when out & about?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
yes, It's not something I like. I would prefer to be left alone. I;m usually shopping. A lot of people act scared of him too. I'm not sure why...unless they are just leery of shepherds.

I'm also not good with stupid questions. Like, "is he a police dog"...."no, he is a GSD, but the police often use this breed for their k9's."

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I love it when people want to meet Sib and tell me their stories of shepherds they once had..I love it when they tell me she is beautiful..It makes me proud that she is so friendly to everyone...When I meet someone who seems afraid we just cut a wide space between them and us...

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
You should try to see it from your puppy point of view. Peope think they admire him, pat and pet. Woud you like to have any stranger rubbing your neck, pinching your cheeks and patting the top of your head? eaving their aromas in addition. For some unknown reason your doggie must like it.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I had a great Aunt that used to do that.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I have been going through that for the past few years... Saki, our Golden, is "famous" in town. She's known as the dog that walks herself. She carries her own leash. I've even had my vet tell me that people have made comments about "some dog that they heard of/seen that carries her leash" and she laughs and says she knows who it is...
But... since Knuckles has joined in the walks, it's double. If they aren't commenting on Saki, they are commenting on Knuckles. Mostly we get compliments about how gorgeous he is, we don't get a lot of people who walk up and want to meet him.... maybe it's because we never "pause" during walks to give them the chance. We just say "thank you" and keep our pace.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
You should try to see it from your puppy point of view. Peope think they admire him, pat and pet. Woud you like to have any stranger rubbing your neck, pinching your cheeks and patting the top of your head? eaving their aromas in addition. For some unknown reason your doggie must like it.
Puppies should be social and enjoy attention and interaction like that. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, shows confidence and good temperament.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Yes. Wolfie is three years old, and all that happened to us when he was a baby. I thought it was just everyone loves a puppy, but it's still happening. Everyone in our neighborhood knows Wolfie. I was at Walmart and this woman that lives near us was in there too. I heard her calling " Wolfiesmom! Hi Wolfiesmom! " LOL! She doesn't even know my name but she knows my dog.

·
Registered
10,814 Posts
WD gets plenty of attention and compliments. People usually ask if they can pet him and he loves it. Bit also if he is a GSD because of his built and sable color. I am happy that I allowed lots of contact with strangers when he was a pup. He is not afraid of anyone which is great in case he needs to step in for some scary reason.
He looks pretty serious but for some reason no one has ever been afraid of him. He triggers many happy memories from people's past shepherds. It's fun to meet people and talk "dog".
TRCY, educate people instead of allowing your self being annoyed by "stupid questions". This will help us all.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Yes. I get it all the time!! Whenever I would take my last boy out, he was solid black, we got stopped and talked to, pics taken, a while array if things. I loved it.

With Lena, we get lots of questions, but she us more reserved, so people tend to give compliments from afar on how well behaved she is and how I must run her miles a day to keep her calm.

With my new puppy, I get people pulling cars over to compliment him and they get out and ask to meet him. Right now Nix loves it, but he is a baby still. With his coloring, very dark sable, I bet that will change as he gets older and starts looking like a dog.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
377 Posts
If a day goes by and I don't hear, "What a beautiful dog!" it means I haven't left the house. It's more meaningful when you hear it from people who have or have had a GSD. But we like it from anyone. It is especially gratifying to have a parent walk over fearlessly with a toddler to ask to see or pet the dog when so many adults are afraid.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
LoL! I love it. When I'm having a bad day, I love taking Finn to the Boardwalk here or to the dog beach to hang out. It's like walking with a superstar, lol. We get everything from the stop and stare to gushing over him and taking pictures. It's great socialization for him and an ego booster for me, lol.

·
Registered
102 Posts
We once had Heinz out for a walk, and a guy in an SUV stopped, rolled down his window, and offered us his second-born daughter in exchange for the dog. I didn't ask what it would take to get his 1st born.

They are certainly attention getting dogs - and I love when people reminisce about their old shepherds. Heinz is cool with petting, as long as he instigates it. He'll give a nudge to his admirer's hand and then present his butt for scratching.

Unfortunately, I have learned the hard way to specifically tell people not to lean over him, grab his head, or try to kiss him :eek: - that doesn't end well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts