German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience using a baby bijorn or similar infant carrying contraption and walking their dog?

I attempted the stroller thing several times while I was pregnant. I'd stick a 10lb sack in the stroller and take Smokey and Zeeva but had little luck controlling anything. My husky never really got trained out of pulling. My shepherd is decent at loose leash walking with a prong. But the leashes and the big bulky jogging stroller and the attempting to do poopy patrol and the preventing crittering..it was too frustrating

We do walk...a lot. I walked with them up until being around 8 months pregnant but one day I fell on an unpaved road. I was ok but I landed on my Zeeva's hind side. She had a limp for a while after that馃槩 So we stopped.

Anyway, I took one dog at a time yesterday with my 6 week old in the bijorn. It wasn't bad. Our pace is slow which both dogs seemed to adjust to although Smokey would walk to the end of his retractable and then look back at me impatiently...Smokey is somewhat dog aggressive and we will occasionally have loose dogs running around our neighborhood. I saw two beautiful Dobermans yesterday but I try to look ahead and anticipate so we found a way around them before any of the dogs were in mingling proximity. I must admit though it was exhausting.

I guess the thing I'm scared about is falling again. I think practice will make it easier...and then I will be able to pick up the pace.

Do you think this is a bad/dangerous set up? I don't want my baby, my doggies or myself to get hurt...

Super Moderator
Sounds scary to me!The first image that popped up in my mind is the stroller spilling over and the baby tumbling out.Unless you have someone to go with you to handle the dogs or push the stroller it doesn't sound safe.
Ideally the dogs should have been trained to walk calmly and non reactively.Please,keep yourself and your baby safe!

Registered
Personally, if there is a decent likelihood of encountering loose dogs, I would say no. Two dogs that size imo, can be enough to take care of if loose dogs come charging at you. Let alone if one of your dogs has reactive tendencies... add a baby to that and honestly. I just wouldn't go there.
And no retractable leash in that situation for sure. Best would be having both dogs trained with prong collars, on maximum 6ft leashes, to give you maximum control in an emergency. But again I would just say its best to walk them and the baby without someone to help.

BTW! Im was a long time lurker here before I actually registered and was wondering where you went! :)

Registered
Yes, I use the baby bijorn to carry my 6 month old while I walk Asher (my 1 yr old GSD). I use a six foot leash and a prong collar on Asher for added control and haven't had any problems. I've been walking with the baby and the dog since the baby was around 2-3 months old. We do not walk on our street anymore, however. There are lots of loose dogs on or road. Asher is not reactive, but I don't want to risk a dog fight with the baby in the middle. We pack up and go to the local "greenway" where the dogs are leashed. We have a stroller but I haven't used it yet. I prefer the "sling-type" carriers as I like my hands free--that may change when the baby weighs more. When the weather was nice, I'd set the baby on the porch in his carrier and exercise/train Asher in the yard where I could watch them both. The baby loves being outside and observing things!

Registered
I haven't dealt with this situation but I'd consider taking one dog at a time with you and the baby. You could do shorter walks or alternate which dog you took out if two of the longer walks are too much for you.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes, I use the baby bijorn to carry my 6 month old while I walk Asher (my 1 yr old GSD). I use a six foot leash and a prong collar on Asher for added control and haven't had any problems. I've been walking with the baby and the dog since the baby was around 2-3 months old. We do not walk on our street anymore, however. There are lots of loose dogs on or road. Asher is not reactive, but I don't want to risk a dog fight with the baby in the middle. We pack up and go to the local "greenway" where the dogs are leashed. We have a stroller but I haven't used it yet. I prefer the "sling-type" carriers as I like my hands free--that may change when the baby weighs more. When the weather was nice, I'd set the baby on the porch in his carrier and exercise/train Asher in the yard where I could watch them both. The baby loves being outside and observing things!
I guess a park would be a better option to prevent a dog fight. I imagine loading everyone and everything to take some planning and extra time...

What carrying contraption do you use? Have you tried more than a few of them to walk the baby and Asher? Is the one you currently use comfortable? How long do you all walk for?

Thanks for your help! I'm glad I found someone that has experience with the situation.

Have you trained Asher to walk with a stroller yet? If yes, how'd you do it? Or plan on doing it?

Registered
We're just figuring things out one day at a time. For the first month or two my husband took over most of Asher's exercising. Physically I was still recovering and I wasn't getting any sleep. Hubby couldn't do much to help feed the baby at night, so taking over some of the animal care was something he could contribute. Once I started feeling better and the baby started sleeping through the nights, things got easier and we started to find a rhythm that worked for us. It takes a while! We are lucky enough to have a house in the country with a couple acres so Asher and I spend a lot of time playing/training in the yard. I put the baby in his bassinet/playpen in the living room near the windows. He has a baby monitor also. Then I take Asher in the side/front yard for play and training for an hour or so each day. When my husband comes home, I'll let him babysit and take Asher out walking up the street. About a quarter of a mile up the street, there's a house with about 5-6 loose pit mixes who come up the driveway barking at us. While they are very skittery and run away when I yell at them and stomp my feet (I also carry pepper spray), I don't want to risk it with the baby.

Once a week, Asher has obedience class. We've been doing that since he was a little puppy and I'm so glad we get to continue it (I took about a month off, however). My mother will babysit and hubby and I go out for a doggy date night (isn't that dorky)! We'll go to dinner afterwards. Fun stuff! :)
So far I've only tried the one carrier...I want one with straps and buckles. I have a sling-type that you have to do a lot of wrapping. It looks too complicated for my taste. I don't like a lot of fuss. I'm lucky I can tie my shoelaces, hah! It looks like it would be easy once you took the time to learn the technique though. And it does look very comfortable.

I was on maternity leave for 4 months. After I felt better and was getting sleep, Asher and I spent a quality hour or two together most days. We still do, although I work three 12 hour shifts each week and can't do much those days. Hubby takes over his exercising on my work days.

I don't go to the park as often at the moment because the weather is somewhat cold now and it's easier to run him on our property. I take him to the park maybe 1-2 times a week in the nice weather, less in the winter to be honest. It's about a 20 minute drive to town, and it's nice to have some days where we don't go anywhere.

I haven't tried to use the stroller yet (isn't that awful)! Not sure what special training we will need to do. I only use one hand to walk Asher, so am hoping I can walk him in one hand and push the stroller in the other without a lot of additional training. Of course, my hubby will come along with me sometimes, and I'll just give him the stroller as Asher listens to me better than my husband!

Anyway, feel free to keep in touch. I've had several dogs, but this my first baby. We're just figuring things out as we go along, and trying not to make too many mistakes!!

Registered
We were fine using an Ergo with our baby whilst walking as it allows both hands to be free to handle leashes, though you need to be get into a good squat position to pick up poop without pinching the baby's thunder thighs. With a stroller, it was a little more of pain especially if your dog isn't a good heeler/gets excitable but doable. Definitely do not tie any leashes to the stroller.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts