German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my suki is 4 months old. How far should I walk her each day? The recommended amount of 20 mins doesn't seem to tire her out at all and shes a bundle of energy by the end of the day if we dont go out for longer. I got told by another GSD owner to not allow her to run for the first year but she loves doing it and does laps around the garden if we dont take her out. Any help much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You should not do forced running, IE on a leash running on the road or concrete, or playing fetch for extended periods of time. Running off leash or a natural surface should not be an issue. Issues arise when a puppy is kept on leash and forced to keep up a certain pace.

Teach your puppy how to do nothing. A place command is good for this. Exercise won't teach a dog how to settle, it just tires them out for a bit and increased their stamina so as time goes on it takes more and more exercise to tire them out.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
All animals have a limit. There is no such thing as an animal continually increasing body condition and stamina. An over exercised animal's body will begin to breakdown with sustained over activity.

Physical exercise promotes the release of calming chemicals and hormones, so it does more than just tire an animal physically.

Unlimited exercise on natural surfaces where the puppy sets the pace including when to take breaks and for how long is good for joint health according to studies.

It is fairer to the dog to teach relaxation skills when the puppy is in a calmer state of mind. That place of calm is easily achieved through adequate exercise.

Have you perused the videos on YouTube by Stonnie Dennis? He has lots of good stuff posted.

Reactions: tc68
1 - 4 of 4 Posts