German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Clover will be going with us to a lot of places once he gets all his shots and I know sometimes that may involve walking across a parkinglot or other similar surface.

What do you do for hot grounds? With temps getting close to or over 100* in the summers here the grounds can be like lava!!! If he is anything like his line of reletives he will be close to 100 pounds and I am usually carrying 2 kids along with me as well so holding him across a parkinglot is out of the question for me if my husband isnt with me.

Any tips?

TIA!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i mean I dont guess i have to take him with us to certain places, but most parks and stuff you have to cross a parkinglot to get to the grass. Its more of a just in case I do, does anyone have any tips? I never thought about how hot it gets on dog paws before because I wear shoes!
I just want to have some ideas in for when I do take him places that does have asphalt.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I live in Nashville, and concrete does not seem to bother Meega. Although when it is hot, Meega doesn't want to stay out unless she has lots of water and is typically wet.

·
Registered
815 Posts
At the dog daycare I work at, half the outside is a fenced 0.5 acre grass yard (which is obviously their favorite yard) and the other half is 50-50 asphalt and smooth pea-size gravel. We use the 50-50 side most of the time in the summer since we often have baby pools out and don't want the dogs getting wet and muddy on the grass side.

On hot sunny days the dogs don't seem to mind the asphalt at all, most will hang out and even lie down on the blacktop in the sun while the others play in the pools or with the hose, or use the gravel area to potty.

Only once in a while do we see a dog that seems affected by the heat, and often those are the same dogs that get raw pads easily.

I guess each dog has different tolerance levels and pad toughness.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
We lived in southern Virginia for several years where temperatures are often above 100 in summer with a lot of humidity. Neither of my dogs have ever been sensitive to or had any issues walking on paved roads / parking lots / asphalt.

Honestly, I probably would not worry about that too much, especially if you're talking about just crossing from a parking lot to the park's trails or grassy areas.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I've seen Bianca lay down and stretch out happily (paws down) on hot asphalt in the summer so I don't think it bothers them too much.
If a dog has tender paw pads and they are walking or standing for a long duration on it there could be a problem I suppose. I know I've seen a type of dog boots that are specifically made for hot summers... I think they were called Cool Paws?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts