German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering how many people take their dogs for off leash walks?I'm fortunate that my house backs up to all the woods I need,so I have a safe place for my dogs to run.I have friends who own dogs that think I'm nuts for doing this.They always ask me aren't you afraid your dogs will take off and not come back?I tell them no I trust both of them.I can't lose them if I wanted too.I have taught them the "wait" command which means if they get too far ahead of me they wait til I catch up,also every so often they know to look back and check on me.I sometimes test them when they aren't looking I'll duck behind a tree or something and watch them,once they look back and don't see me they will come looking for me.So am I crazy for trusting my dogs to run free?

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
I do.

Well, not right now because our car is being shipped to the States but other than that I went on hikes all the times and I am not scared that they take off because I excessively trained the re-call, sit, down and stay. :)

Now that the car is on the way to the US I can't drive up into the hills anymore and I have to go on walks around here. There is too much traffic as if I could let them off leash.

But other than that, yes I do let them off leash and they listen.

See, you are not alone. I love going on off leash Hikes :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
I can't with Lola yet, not because I don't trust her, but because we have a strict leash law here. My solution: buy a 40-50 ft lead, and go the the field by our townhouse, apparently as long as she is connected to me, the cops are okay with it, because they have sat and watched playing fetch and running around sometimes. I wish that they could come when the neighbor's dog is running around the street off leash (crazy little dog), but that hasn't happened yet. :rolleyes:
Mrs. K: that trail looks awesome

·
Registered
11 Posts
We have off leash trails around the GTA. I don't worry about it, Rocky doesn't wander to far, comes to "check in" every couple of minutes, and has a decent recall.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Mrs. K - Love the video! Love Heidelberg too! Thats where I was born! :) Growing up we went back to Germany every couple of years to visit my mom's family for the summer and absolutely loved everything about Germany. :)

I think its great that you all have areas where you can take your dogs off leash and let them have fun. Around here we have a leash law too...and right now my dog doesn't have a strong enough recall to try it either. But thats a goal I have for my dog and I...and as soon as she does have a good recall...I will drive someplace so she can have that freedom. :D

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
When I take Ozzy on walks, he's on his leash. However, if I chose to, he could be off leash. That's just my preference. But when we're going to the park, he's off his leash.
He knows the wait command and has a very good recall. More often than not, he walks right at my side.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I don't. I don't want to be responsible if something happens and Deuce spooks and takes off or if someone comes up to him and he doesn't react well.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Mrs. K - Love the video! Love Heidelberg too! Thats where I was born! :) Growing up we went back to Germany every couple of years to visit my mom's family for the summer and absolutely loved everything about Germany. :)

I think its great that you all have areas where you can take your dogs off leash and let them have fun. Around here we have a leash law too...and right now my dog doesn't have a strong enough recall to try it either. But thats a goal I have for my dog and I...and as soon as she does have a good recall...I will drive someplace so she can have that freedom. :D
I am born in Heidelberg too. :wild:
I grew up right next to coleman barracks in a little village called Scharhof. :wub:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have a leash law here too and I would not let them off leash in the neighborhood,but I can walk out my back gate and be in the woods.I always have the area to myself never seen anyone else back there so I see no harm letting them free.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I walk mine off leash all the time. They both have great recalls and they don't wander off too far.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I do.

Well, not right now because our car is being shipped to the States but other than that I went on hikes all the times and I am not scared that they take off because I excessively trained the re-call, sit, down and stay. :)

Now that the car is on the way to the US I can't drive up into the hills anymore and I have to go on walks around here. There is too much traffic as if I could let them off leash.

But other than that, yes I do let them off leash and they listen.

See, you are not alone. I love going on off leash Hikes :D
YouTube - Holy Mountain Hike with the Dogs
Like the link Mrs. K

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
We used to walk our dogs on our land off-leash, but as they have gotten older (no longer puppies) they are more independent and tend to want to chase animals. Rosa will eat animal poop if she can get away with it. Niko will chase, and I don't want to ruin his recall trying to get him back to me.

But, if you don't have those problems, and you know the owners of the land and they are okay with it, then have fun. Watch out for skunks!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I've found if you start when they are young, and implement TRAINING as you go along, off leash is just the best thing ever for our dogs!

No way our dog on leash can have the same exercise and fun as OFF.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
if your dogs have recall and i mean with the
distractions that woods can bring. i'm in the woods
all of the time with my dog but he doesn't
chase deer, joggers, bikers or horses.
when i'm walking in the city my dog heels on
either side. my dog is off leash 98% of the time.
it's great having a dog that you can do things
with when the dog is off leash.

how do your dogs react to joggers, bikers,
people walking pass, squirrels, deer,
flocks of birds, chip monks, horses etc?

I'm just wondering how many people take their dogs for off leash walks?I'm fortunate that my house backs up to all the woods I need,so I have a safe place for my dogs to run.I have friends who own dogs that think I'm nuts for doing this.They always ask me aren't you afraid your dogs will take off and not come back?I tell them no I trust both of them.I can't lose them if I wanted too.I have taught them the "wait" command which means if they get too far ahead of me they wait til I catch up,also every so often they know to look back and check on me.I sometimes test them when they aren't looking I'll duck behind a tree or something and watch them,once they look back and don't see me they will come looking for me.So am I crazy for trusting my dogs to run free?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I take Nash off leash in the woods, he has an excellent recall, knows "wait" (to stop and wait for me to reach him), has a great "leave it" and checks in a lot. I also try to hide on him a lot, so it has made him a bit paranoid and he always keeps an eye on me.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I take my dogs to a variety of places off leash. Here is a photo at the office park where I work.

I have never had to worry about anybody not coming when I call, but Balto thinks chasing seagulls is good enough reason to push the limits.

Balto has gotten so comfortable, he thinks if he can see me, he's close enough.

Like Maggie, I start them when they are young.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Stark started going for off leash hikes the day he came home.

In the bush, in the park, etc..

1 - 20 of 40 Posts