German Shepherds Forum banner

121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
True

its true that walking is not that great of an exercise but it is recommended before going for tough exercise as it is great for a warm up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don't think this is an accurate statement. It's been said a few time, and I'm going to say it again. It depends on the dog. It aslo depends on the distance. Do you think walking a dog up the side if a mountain isn't exercise? I walk my GSD about a mile a day and she is completely fine. Also, puppies usually can't keep up with a bike. Non leash trained dogs are nerotic on bikes. You can't expect to hook a dog to a bike and be fine. What happens when he lunges for a rabbit? Just saying...
Thank you I walk my boy for 2 hours minimum daily, he is super built at just 1 year and vet always exclaims how slow and healthy his heart rate is! I think walking your working dog breed for 20-30 minutes is nothing, but a long 2-3 hour walk is exercise in my opinion!

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Walking is not vigorous exercise but it good for the dogs to be able to explore new places new smells of old smells. You can add in some some scent work - find it games on walks and do some obedience exercises.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Walking is not vigorous exercise but it good for the dogs to be able to explore new places new smells of old smells. You can add in some some scent work - find it games on walks and do some obedience exercises.
I agree not vigorous, I also recently added a weight vest. I know a lot of people dont like it, however its not like im adding an extra 20-30 lbs immediately, he seems to still enjoy our walks and he gets tired! I also walk fast LOL corny but it seems to be at his pace too. Weekends we go hiking tho for about 2-3 hours as well that seems to be the ticket lol

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
I like to take my dogs for a long walk nearly every day but it is time consuming. I feel it is good for their endurance. I also like to do something to get their heart rate up a bit. I also like to do something cerebral once a day. If I can get that done for both dogs, if they come to me later on and complain of being bored, I love on the for a bit and then expect them to go settle down.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We walk daily- while not vigorous physical exercise it’s sort of mental exercise. I liken it to us reading the news- my pup gets lots of information about the world around her from the smells!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree. I have mentioned before Eva can be crazy, but she calms down after a couple minutes (inside). We walk at least an hour and a half a day, and then do training, fetch, ect for around an hour or so everyday. We are considering getting a weighted vest for her too when walking. And although she is crazy at first in the house, she calms down and starts to listen. It's just a puppy thing, it'll get better. But it works for us.

Reactions: T'Challa!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree. I have mentioned before Eva can be crazy, but she calms down after a couple minutes (inside). We walk at least an hour and a half a day, and then do training, fetch, ect for around an hour or so everyday. We are considering getting a weighted vest for her too when walking. And although she is crazy at first in the house, she calms down and starts to listen. It's just a puppy thing, it'll get better. But it works for us.
Definitely consider the weight vest its an awesome outlet for excess energy but most importantly it works well to strengthen your pup and overall increase physical health

·
Registered
60 Posts
Definitely consider the weight vest its an awesome outlet for excess energy but most importantly it works well to strengthen your pup and overall increase physical health
Yeah. We were looking at the XDOG brand and will probably order soon.

Reactions: T'Challa!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I walk my dogs 45 min to an hour each dog each(most) days. We incorporate OB exercises into the walk. There is nothing local to me where I can really "run" my dogs with regularity. There is one field I'll stop along the way (under high tension wires) for two ball. I had called public service who owns the land and they were fine with me "working" my dog there. But, the inevitable has happened. Small town, others see me doing it so then they bring their dogs off lead. Everybody assumes everything is a dog park. I'm polite, if I see someone with an off lead dog there I'll either just keep walking or wait my turn. However others don't really get it and will just set their unleashed dog free while I am working mine. Oh well, was bound to happen. I don't own the land was getting a favor, so can't complain.

So walking it is, and two ball if I find my hidden urban gems empty lol

Kid free weekends (joint custody of kids) I strive to be active with them. We go to IGP 2 times a month. Use to hike with one dog, but now with a second dog who is 9 months old it isn't as easy. We are working on making the two of them walkable together lol

I LOVE the X Vest. Just make sure you follow the guidelines. With Valor at 96lbs the MAX he was suppose to be built up to slowly is 9lbs. Me personally- I don't have him wear it on workouts. I would need to see it around for a LONG time before I trusted that making sharp turns and jumping with it on doesn't cause problems down the road. I use it to make a plain old walk a little more challenging for him. It comes off for any real exercise.

My dogs- they lead an active life compared to most pet dogs. But I refuse to believe they should only be owned if they live an athlete's life. Active, and not "sedentary" with mental stimulation (that can be done at home or our running life's errands) is fine in my opinion.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have found that the key is not to try to look up in a table or chart out how far, how fast, or how much a pup should exercise.

The key, at least for me and my pups, is how they react to the exercise. Sometimes a long slow walk is enough if they have plenty of new stuff to process mentally. Other times playing fetch until they fall over in exhaustion is fine.

I like to watch the pups after they get done exercising and come into the house. It is a good sign if they take a leisurely drink, check out what I am doing, then take a nice long nap. After the nap, I like to see stretching and a lot of play bows, but no soreness or stiffness.

If they are not ready to settle into a nap, we have not worked hard enough mentally or physically. If the pup doesn't have the energy to check out what I am doing after it's drink, or the dog looks stiff and sore after it's nap, we worked too hard.

Every pup is different, so it is best to learn to read their body language to see how your dog feels.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have found that the key is not to try to look up in a table or chart out how far, how fast, or how much a pup should exercise.

The key, at least for me and my pups, is how they react to the exercise. Sometimes a long slow walk is enough if they have plenty of new stuff to process mentally. Other times playing fetch until they fall over in exhaustion is fine.

I like to watch the pups after they get done exercising and come into the house. It is a good sign if they take a leisurely drink, check out what I am doing, then take a nice long nap. After the nap, I like to see stretching and a lot of play bows, but no soreness or stiffness.

If they are not ready to settle into a nap, we have not worked hard enough mentally or physically. If the pup doesn't have the energy to check out what I am doing after it's drink, or the dog looks stiff and sore after it's nap, we worked too hard.

Every pup is different, so it is best to learn to read their body language to see how your dog feels.
I feel that, at least for my boy everytime we walk or go hiking that is exactly what he does lol

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well walking is better than nothing and dogs certainly like the exposure to nature that walks provide.

As far as exercise goes, not so much. I try to take Saint on a 2 mile trot at -5 mph or so using the 4 wheeler. Otherwise it's 10 or so maximum throws of the tennis ball with a 'throw stick'. Now he responds at his most vigorous run right out of the starting gate.

·
Registered
624 Posts

Same here. That's what I do with Kias.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My 2, 1 year old GSDs run constantly, play fetch and chase with each other. We can barely get invovled when we try. We are no match for there own kind when it comes to playtime. We train them separately daily though. They get a balance of physical and mental stimulation and they dont have to run a marathon. They sleep wonderfully and are relaxed when we are home. Each dog is different, even my 2 have completely different personalities. There is no 1 idea solves all problems. Just know your dogs needs.

·
Registered
473 Posts
As said several times in thread thread, the OP could have more correctly said that leisurely walking is not ENOUGH exercise for a working breed and certainly not enough elevating of the heart rate to gain a cardio benefit.

I have had 6 GSD in a row and currently have a 5 year old male and a male pup that just turned 5 months

I have a 3/4 acre lot with 5 acres of woods behind and hundreds of miles of trails behind that. The very minimum my various dogs have ever had every day is 3-4 20 minute walks off leash per day and they never relieve themselves in the year so the 3-4 walks are mandatory. Rain or snow or cold never alters that minimum.

Walks are great for stimulation, great for keeping joints loose etc. But they are not exercise in terms of any great muscle or cardio load. Yes, there are exceptions if you say you walk uphill both ways at a brisk pace, play games while on the walk etc but let's be honest, I don't think most people think of that when they say "I only have time for a walk or two, I let my dog out in the yard "for exercise" etc.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
As said several times in thread thread, the OP could have more correctly said that leisurely walking is not ENOUGH exercise for a working breed and certainly not enough elevating of the heart rate to gain a cardio benefit.

I have had 6 GSD in a row and currently have a 5 year old male and a male pup that just turned 5 months

I have a 3/4 acre lot with 5 acres of woods behind and hundreds of miles of trails behind that. The very minimum my various dogs have ever had every day is 3-4 20 minute walks off leash per day and they never relieve themselves in the year so the 3-4 walks are mandatory. Rain or snow or cold never alters that minimum.

Walks are great for stimulation, great for keeping joints loose etc. But they are not exercise in terms of any great muscle or cardio load. Yes, there are exceptions if you say you walk uphill both ways at a brisk pace, play games while on the walk etc but let's be honest, I don't think most people think of that when they say "I only have time for a walk or two, I let my dog out in the yard "for exercise" etc.
I would disagree. Normally the Punk and I walk somewhere around 20kms a day. Sometimes that is on city sidewalks, sometimes it's in the bush. She has a wonky heart and since she is a hunter she does not get to run loose. Sometimes we jog, but I can only do about 1-2kms anymore. She does have a long line that we use and I seek out secure areas to allow unrestrained play but a huge portion of her exercise is walking. To be fair I walk fast enough that she can maintain a slow trot but it's still walking.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I would disagree. Normally the Punk and I walk somewhere around 20kms a day. Sometimes that is on city sidewalks, sometimes it's in the bush. She has a wonky heart and since she is a hunter she does not get to run loose. Sometimes we jog, but I can only do about 1-2kms anymore. She does have a long line that we use and I seek out secure areas to allow unrestrained play but a huge portion of her exercise is walking. To be fair I walk fast enough that she can maintain a slow trot but it's still walking.
Sounds like you disagreed just to disagree frankly.
First of all, a dog with a "wonky heart" puts in in an entirely different discussion as far as what would constitute enough exercise. Then you quote some unrestrained play and slow trotting. So yes, "leisurely walking is not ENOUGH exercise for a working breed and certainly not enough elevating of the heart rate to gain a cardio benefit." which is what you disagreed with lol

Listen a slow walk is a great thing to do (for humans too), it has all kinds of benefits physically and mentally. But it has no cardio benefit and isn't close to optimal for a working breed if you want optimal health. ****, they can LIVE just by being let out in the backyard to go to the bathroom and then sit in the house all day. Respectfully, your choice...

121 - 140 of 142 Posts