German Shepherds Forum banner

81 - 100 of 137 Posts

·
Banned
860 Posts
Sure walks help.. But it is hardly enough in my opinion, especially for a dog who is kept in doors the rest of the day..

Playing tug is also a great way to exercise the dog I believe...

Maybe if he knows the touch command and he jumps to touch your hand, etc...

So many ways to engage and exercise a dog.

Just walking is ok I guess.. Would not say it is not exercise...

Just really not ideal for a strong healthy dog.

There is a lot of research for humans pointing to the fact that short bursts of Anerobic exercise is far superior to longer less strenuous aerobic exercise (Talking about light jogging here, not even walking), with regards to improving health and wellness.

The only reason short walks may 'tire' the dog in some way, is because the dog is extremely unfit to begin with.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
There's also The springer: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087YCI42/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame] Which is what I use and love. Though the plastic attatchment it comes with distored some so I have to be careful how it sits on the "eye" or it will pop off. Even still I can just buy something else to use in it's place. I LOVE it and I cannot wait for spring. I only got comfortable riding with my boy at the end of the year so I didn't get to use it much. Once it starts getting light out after 5 for a couple hours I intend to be out pretty much every day.

There is also Dog Lead Leash | Dog Bike Leash | Bike Dog Leash | Bike Tow Leash.

Edit: My guy doesn't really tire out from walks either even if it is a couple miles. I will sometimes use a backpack with him, but even still he really doesn't tire out that much. We mostly just play in the backyard or do training at the dog park. During the winter that is. I cannot wait for the spring/summer so that I can also get him a dog park pass for one of the LARGE parks that has a training pond.

·
Banned
950 Posts
I disagree lauri, the answer is it is dependent on the dog. Some dogs are higher energy than most and need constant running and stimulation. Other dogs do not. I have had several dogs that are JUST walked and have done fine, and were not destructive. Absolute statements like this are fallible.

·
Registered
485 Posts
My guys love the flirt pole (recommended before on the thread); we have this one --> Amazon.com : KONG Chase-It Wand Squeaking Dog Toy, Assorted Characters : Pet Squeak Toys : Pet Supplies, but it is pretty short--we use it inside and it does tire him out both physically and mentally.

We walk and play and he has a boatload of puzzle toys...one thing that we also have (and that has been suggested, wish we we had done it sooner, puzzle feeders---I was skeptical but it slows him down as we use in for 1 of his 2 meals (we have these:

-***by far the best that we have used: (purple/pinkish one is awesome) Amazon.com : Kyjen 2872 Slo-Bowl Slow Feeder Slow Feed Interactive Bloat Stop Dog Bowl, Large, Purple Flower : Pet Feeding Stations : Pet Supplies
^
^in blue (it is good too, smooth and easy to fill)
-
^ he ate the tip off one, uneven and he never ate all food--eh, its alright.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
I would love for you all to come to my house and tell my dogs that the 1 - 2 miles they walk around the neighborhoodisn't exercise.. Because they sure seem to think it is... :)

And I have pretty high drive dogs...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I disagree. Every dog has different exercise requirements for them to have a balanced day. Some dogs may only need a twenty minute walk to be pleasantly tired and others may have to be sprinted for an hour or worked three or four times a day.

Blanket statements and absolutes are dangerous. I'd hate to see someone take in a 12 year old rescue GSD with HD and force him to run every day. Balance, as has been said, is key.

The other 'danger' is creating a more athletic dog. Some dogs tire with exercise, others 'train up' and require more and more and more exercise without ever getting tired.
This. We've currently got a 10 month old GSD, and the thing is... she's only getting tougher, stronger, and faster. It's tough as we don't have a TON of time. I try 5 mile walks, and within an hour, she wants more. She's a full on, working machine! We've got a 50 foot yard, until it hits the forest line, so we can't really chuck any balls too far, or we'll lose them very easily. We've got a dog park nearby, and she loves it. But we can only take her during the weekends when we're not busy. She gets her exercise, but we're definitely seeing that she's getting even more fit. She's got a lean build to begin with, and she's only going to get stronger.

Pretty soon, over the summer once college lets out, I'll try a good 10-mile walk with her and see how that goes. It's fairly cold up here in Maine right now for that kind of walk. With all the snow we're getting, we've been chucking a soccer ball into the snow drifts, so she really works herself working through the snow. It's great exercise for her, and it's safe as she's not running on top of the snow, but through it instead.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Here's my problem... everyone says not to let your large breed puppies run and jump until after they are a year old...but in the winter when there is no swimming and walks just don't cut it what in the world are we supposed to do?! We do a lot of tug and flirt play as well as ball keep away and short distance fetch (he won't do long distance yet) but he just is ready to go all the time. We also train a few times a day and have puzzle toys.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Here's my problem... everyone says not to let your large breed puppies run and jump until after they are a year old...but in the winter when there is no swimming and walks just don't cut it what in the world are we supposed to do?! We do a lot of tug and flirt play as well as ball keep away and short distance fetch (he won't do long distance yet) but he just is ready to go all the time. We also train a few times a day and have puzzle toys.
Its taking your dogs for forced runs with you that isn't encouraged. Free running for them on nice grass for them is ok. So throw balls and get them to play fetch, put a long line on if you think he can't do long distance.

·
Banned
860 Posts
I think everyone would be wrong if that is indeed what they say.

You don't limit normal developmental growth and activity.
You dont strain them...

But running, playing jumping is a natural activity.
Now sure you don't want them doing that on cement, and unnatural surfaces ideally..

But come on....

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I have a decent size backyard and run Newlie corner to corner so that he criss-crosses the yard chasing his ball. I don't do it every day, but often during good weather because he loves it so much. I do shorter sessions in the summer when it's hot. We also do obedience, play "find" and silly little games in the house and take some walks. I may get him a baby pool this summer to see if he will play in it and have also been thinking about trying one of those bike-riding attachments. Newlie doesn't require quite as much exercise now that he is a few years older.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I think everyone would be wrong if that is indeed what they say.

You don't limit normal developmental growth and activity.
You dont strain them...

But running, playing jumping is a natural activity.
Now sure you don't want them doing that on cement, and unnatural surfaces ideally..

But come on....
Sorry that's just what I kept reading while doing reaearch, I only wanted to do right by my dog which is why I posted on here for advice. Why should I bother asking advice on a forum if people are condescending and rude.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Wick - I read through quite a few pages and really very few even hinted at a condoscending tone rudeness... I say this with caution, as there are those who openly and freely speak their mind w/out much filter or tactfulness. Remember that text can have the information you need, but the intent or emotion behid it will be made by the reader... If you are angry 'you' (general you not you you) might read the text with a thought tha somebody is being mean.. Text is really hard to keep level; it requires a thoughtful response so as not to come across cold or unfeeling (which I don't think most people are trying to do - most really want to help :) ). Our job as the reader is to try not to take things personally, but if we do, ask for clarification of intent.... That way, if the post was not meant to come across the way it did it can be clarfifyied and the good received... If it was intended, you can then voice your thoughts and intent... Internet can be good and bad, lol...

I think you care about your dog immensely. You have structured exercise so that the pup could be safe. Awesome! I know I cared my pup up and dow stairs for 6 months (and she is a BIG BIG girl) because she was growing soooo fast and we have very steep stairs... Was it necessary??? Who knows, but it made me feel better doing it (except for my back, lol). Did it make me a bad parent? Absolutely not! My dogs take the stairs with gusto and ease.. So each person that has the dogs best interest in mind is (usually) doing the right thing for the dog out of love (the usually is just for the random oops moment).

How is your pup doing? Pix please!

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
My dog is outside most of the time. We live in the country. I take her on walks everyday, but she is off leash and runs around the woods and fields like a person on crack looking for their next hit. She is non-stop energy all day and she sleeps fine at night.
I think alot depends on thier lifestyle. If you take a dog into your home and the dog sits around inside the house all day and you take them on a 3 mile walk on leash, then that is going to be the dog's perception of their energy for the day. They will adjust and think that is normal.
I can't keep my dog inside all day becasue she is used to be outside and running around and playing. If I took her for a 3 mile walk on leash and kept her inside all day, she would go bonkers with cooped up energy.
This is an important point. If your dog is able to exercise off and on in a yard all day it's a totally different situation than one that has been confined all day and has to get all that exercise in a short amount of time.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Sorry that's just what I kept reading while doing reaearch, I only wanted to do right by my dog which is why I posted on here for advice. Why should I bother asking advice on a forum if people are condescending and rude.
Oh, as the saying goes "you ain't seen nothing yet".:eek: There are a few here that post in what could be called a condescending and rude manner. It's done every day. They do not consider it to be that. They consider themselves to be "direct" or "firm" or "straightforward". Whatever, it happens on a regular basis.

As you know, this site offers a ton of information. If you decide that you don't really appreciate some of the responses you get, there is an alternative before you leave this site in the dust. Many people use the resources of this site without ever posting. That's because there are already probably hundreds of responses to your exact question already sitting here waiting for you to access. Unless it's something really unique, it's already been asked and answered dozens of times.

Problem is, the search engine here stinks. Just search your question on Google first. Be sure to include "GSD" in your search question. The posts on this site will be listed on your google responses. just look for the site title, click on it and wala - the answers to your questions.

I'm using this method more and more for general questions, and use post to try to be helpful or to see what opinions are on a topic, new piece of training equip etc.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a 3.5 month old GSD. We normally walk him about 3 times per day... but the walks are pretty short (5min - 10min). I try to jog/run him for about 2mins of that walk on grass.

I heard that you shouldn't over-exercise young puppies. Is this enough? It seems like it's enough. He's sleeps well at night.

I live in a townhouse and our backyard is pretty small (it's got some grass, so it's great for him to go to the bathroom, but not enough room for him to run around).

I love to go jogging. I normally jog between 6km and 7km and it takes about 35min. I would love to be able to take my dog on runs with me, but I think I should wait until he's 1.5 years old or so right?

When I do take him on the short runs on grass, he's very good at running right beside me.

I'm not sure that I trust him off-leash yet. He's good at obeying commands when we're in the house... but when we're out on walks and he sees other people, kids, or other dogs... he normally gets pretty hyper and wants to visit. So I could take him to a field to play fetch, but I wouldn't trust him not to charge at someone walking by or run into traffic if he saw something interesting.

Is he getting enough exercise right now? How much should I increase his exercise as he grows? And when can I start taking him on proper jogs?

We also do training in the house (come, sit, down, stay). And he plays with balls and chew toys throughout the day... so he's relatively active. We are in 3 level townhouse, so he probably gets some exercise just going up and down the stairs a bunch of times each day. Is that anything to worry about? Will it hurt his hips doing so many stairs per day?

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
Walking IS exercise. It is both mental and physical exercise. Some dogs have different requirements, and walks may not be enough to keep that type of dog from finding ways to use up his excess energy that we may not like.

Puppies have more energy to use up than adults, but you do not want to over do it. I like to let puppies be puppies. I do not run them or jog them at all. I do not put them on forced marches. I PLAY with them. I let them PLAY. And sometimes in the course of PLAY, I introduce some obedience commands, and some socialization.

So, it depends on the dog and the handler. Some people can manage puppies without wearing them out. Some puppies can be managed without being tired out daily.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the Walky Dog Bike Leash and I love it. It is attached right under the bike seat to keep stability and the dog is held out just the right length away from the bike. No running to close, no running to far away or into traffic. You just attach the clip to a harness that is safe for the dog to pull in. It has a spring system inside to absorb shock and it works very well. Highly recommended.

WalkyDog Plus® Bike Leash | Walky Dog Bike Leash | Bicycle Dog Leash | Bike With Your Dog | Dog Bike Accessory - The Dog Outdoors

They also sell other attachments and a different type of bike leash that is supposed to be better for larger dogs for anyone that has a huge dog. My girl is only about 55lbs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Walking is great for both puppers and people alike! Our dogs both have access to a fenced in back yard on good days but we also live in the country and often are allowed to free "roam" providing we are outside with them as well. Though we do walks often in spring, summer and fall, it's a bit more challenging in winter with ice covered roads and snow.

81 - 100 of 137 Posts