German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a very young puppy, a walk may be enough exercise to tire them out for a few hours.

But for an adolescent dog a walk just won't cut it. Unless you are speed-walking. And then you better go several miles in order to tire out your dog.

If you want a dog that will SLEEP (or at least be calm) while you are at work all day you need to TIRE THEM OUT.

Spend 15 - 20 minutes throwing the ball and having them RUN to get it and bring it back. I'm not talking about throwing it 20 or 30 feet. Get a Chuck it and throw that ball a good 50 - 100 FEET!!

Take the dog for a bike ride (with the proper equipment) and set the pace so they are trotting. Put in a good 20 - 30 minute round trip.

THOSE are ways to tire out your adolescent dog. Walks just aren't enough.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I don't go to those extremes to exercise my dog and he gets enough and sleeps fine. I've been told it's not good to jog with your dog until they are 18 months. So, not sure making them run with a bike is a good idea.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I would think a consultation with a vet is the best place to start with that debate. Some people don't have access to chuck it 100 feet and all they get to do is walk their dogs and I've seen some pretty healthy looking walking dogs on here.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
We usually play fetch minutes, after I'm home from work. For my girls (almost 3 yrs), after a short break, go for a bike ride using a walky dog. Ranger can't bike yet so we do some playing with a flirt pole instead.

The walk is in the evening, half with training mixed in and half with "be free". We mix it up sometimes and make adjustments depending on other demands. They usually sleep just fine.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I don't think all dogs require the same amount of physical exercise. I also think that some dogs require more mental exercise.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I think it's a little extreme to say it's not exercise. It is, they are moving, expelling energy. I would venture to guess that *most people, don't do more than walk their dogs, maybe play a little light fetch in the back yard, and train obedience when they can, and it works for a lot of people, adolescent dog, puppy, whatever.

Depends on the dog.

·
Super Moderator
32,127 Posts
I wish we had a yard large enough to use our Chuck-it! We have to go someplace else to do that, so at best ours would get that kind of intense exercise once or twice a week when they were growing up. Fortunately, they adapted well to the lifestyle and level of activity we were able to provide for them. I also do a lot of training and all my dogs have been in numerous classes, so they got plenty of brain stimulation even when they weren't getting enough hard exercise to truly tire their bodies out.

I do agree that a sedate leash walk isn't really sufficient, if that's the only kind of exercise the dog gets. Right now, we're doing lots of hiking with the dogs. My husband is taking one or the other out during the day 2 or 3 times a week for 4-6 miles. I've been taking Keefer out for a 4 mile hike after work one day a week and then taking Halo out for a longer hike on my Fridays off. Each of them is probably getting between 8 and 16 miles a week, on hilly terrain. Halo and I did an 8+ mile hike yesterday, and she was pretty pooped the rest of the day. It was a warm day in the low 80's, and we only had one real rest stop, at the top of a mile long hill, with two short water stops.

And then Halo has flyball practice most Sundays, and a tournament all weekend about once a month. They've always been really calm around the house, even when they weren't getting tons and tons of exercise every single day - good off switches! :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
I would think a consultation with a vet is the best place to start with that debate. Some people don't have access to chuck it 100 feet and all they get to do is walk their dogs and I've seen some pretty healthy looking walking dogs on here.
My yard isn't very big, I'll use 2 balls and keep up the pace. Sometimes we'll start in the front yard and I'll throw it over the house into the backyard, works great, they get to run and search for it.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
My 7 (almos 8) months old has no interest in fetching.. we walk at fairly fast pace for an hour in the morning, 30 mins at lunch (if im not busy or on a conference call) and an hour before bed, we also play with the flirt pole for about 15 - 30 mins a day, and we also have puppy play dates several times a week around 3 - 4 nights a week we go play with other dogs for several hours... Im not going to make my girl run next to a bike she is too young for that wont do that till she is 18 - 24 months, and where she has no interest in fetching the only other option is our hour long (multiple times a day) walk. She gets sufficient exercise and she is of very health weight and size.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i take my 3 GSDs and the one I am currently watching for an hour long walk everyday that does tire them out. They sleep fine. It all depends on the dog. My female has tons of energy but long as she walks for that hour shes good.

·
Registered
874 Posts
My yard isn't very big, I'll use 2 balls and keep up the pace. Sometimes we'll start in the front yard and I'll throw it over the house into the backyard, works great, they get to run and search for it.
I have a huge backyard...unfortunately it's not fenced and I'm not sure we will ever fence it all in. I don't trust her off leash yet and it will be a LONG time before I am comfortable doing that...so we have taken some temp fence and fenced in a good area. We go out and play in that a couple of times a day.

I'm just saying I have seen a lot dogs on here who the owners say about all they get to do is walk due to jobs or yard issues or apartment living and I'd say they have some fine looking healthy dogs.

I too think it depends on A. the length of the walks B. the speed of the walks and C. the amount of walks taken...but to say it's not enough exercise..that would be up to a vet to determine for the dog and the owner.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
I think you all are missing the point.

While I agree that it shouldn't go to crazy extremes to tire a dog out a dog needs good exercise, especially young adults. At least every second day they should be able to get to do things instead of going on the daily walk. 15-20 minutes of good exercise is not the end of the world and won't take much time out of your day. A German Shepherd is an active working breed that NEEDS exercise.

There is: Over Exercising, Underexercising and BALANCE!

Most people, posting on this forum, with dogs that have issues, have also under exercised dogs.

·
Registered
279 Posts

While I agree that it shouldn't go to crazy extremes to tire a dog out a dog needs good exercise, especially young adults. At least every second day they should be able to get to do things instead of going on the daily walk. 15-20 minutes of good exercise is not the end of the world and won't take much time out of your day. A German Shepherd is an active working breed that NEEDS exercise.

Most people, posting on this forum, with dogs that have issues, have also under exercised dogs.
I feel same way. My boy is 20 months old. We do spend a lot of time outside offleash hiking, biking, playing and training. His energy was always high, so to prevent him from misbehaving in house we exercise him. I believe it him freedom in house sooner because of it.

·
Registered
9,791 Posts
The Chuck It easily overheats dogs, especially in warm weather and at the suggested level Laurie mentioned. I stop WD after 4 or 5 throws with the Chuck It. Biking before 16 - 18 month needs to be limited as well.
Mental exercise combined with moderate physical works best with WD. I can tire him out physically but it won't result in a content dog. But 20 minutes of learning, nose work etc. does a better job.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I disagree. Every dog has different exercise requirements for them to have a balanced day. Some dogs may only need a twenty minute walk to be pleasantly tired and others may have to be sprinted for an hour or worked three or four times a day.

Blanket statements and absolutes are dangerous. I'd hate to see someone take in a 12 year old rescue GSD with HD and force him to run every day. Balance, as has been said, is key.

The other 'danger' is creating a more athletic dog. Some dogs tire with exercise, others 'train up' and require more and more and more exercise without ever getting tired.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts

I don't think anyone is missing the point, because not every dog will require or need the same amount of exercise and most people know what their dogs need. They might be happy with once a week physical exercise. Or maybe they need a daily dose of mental exercise. There is no way that one can determine what every dog needs to be happy and healthy. I can now officially say that both of mine do much better with more mental then physical exercise. I'm not saying that they don't get the physical part, but its not something I have to do. They are ready to go when I am and they also don't have issues with staying put. Mine get pretty tired if they go for a long enough walk, I will say that along the way on the walks we do obedience with them.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
I disagree. Every dog has different exercise requirements for them to have a balanced day. Some dogs may only need a twenty minute walk to be pleasantly tired and others may have to be sprinted for an hour or worked three or four times a day.

Blanket statements and absolutes are dangerous. I'd hate to see someone take in a 12 year old rescue GSD with HD and force him to run every day. Balance, as has been said, is key.

The other 'danger' is creating a more athletic dog. Some dogs tire with exercise, others 'train up' and require more and more and more exercise without ever getting tired.
How about using a little common sense. That doesnt hurt anyone does it? If anyone believes to exercise a 12 yo arthritic dog like a 1 year old, than they have no business owning a dog.

Also, it is onlyna generalization if you make it one. I know exactly how this topic is meant. There is no need to become so defensive. Every dog has a different Energy level, that is common sense too! All that was said is that dogs need more tham just a walk around the block!

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I don't think anyone is missing the point, because not every dog will require or need the same amount of exercise and most people know what their dogs need.
While I agree with the first part of your post, I strongly disagree with the second. IME, most people do not know. The destruction their dog causes is blamed on just "being bad" and they do not seem to realize how bored and under-exercised the dog is.

·
Registered
874 Posts
so then the fact that everybody compliments me on the behavior of my pup means that I get just the right kind of exercise and stimulation ? I am not asking that to be condescending....I'm just kind of asking. I would have gave good luck the credit for it.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts