German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Angel and I are walking 1 mile in 20 mins 3 times a day.
Morning, lunchtime and after work. she enjoys it, but it is brisk and she is TIRED after. She is 5 months old and about 30#
I dont want to hurt her, I think it is good for her... what do you think?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I think that is ok for a 5 month old. What is bad for a 5 month old is if that walk involves a lot of jumping or straining her hips, shoulders and elbows.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
so you're walking 3 miles a day at a nice clip.
i don't think i would do that every day. you're
pounding those young legs and muscles on
Angel. i think you and Angel need some recovery
time. i don't know this for a fact. i have a
feeling that it's to much. i would probably do
the 3 miles every other day and a short
walk on the off days. someone on this forum
knows.

i do a 3 mile to 5 mile walk twice week
with my boy. my dog is 16 months now.
we hike on trails so he has to jump
over things and crawl under things.
the trail is up and down and flat.
he's tried when we get home.

are you carrying water for you and Angel??

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Does she get tired enough DURING the walk that she starts lagging behind, or wantsto lay down and rest if you were to stop?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
she is not lagging behind or wanting to rest.... but I can tell she is tired (tongue hanging out and she usually naps when we get home)
I have not carried water, but it is only 1 mile, 15 - 20 mins... we are back pretty quick... it is like 3 blocks.
Recovery tme does make sense though.... I workout at the gym, and understand that WELL....
so you have all helped me alot! I think we will do intervals of long/short walks..and no walk...
she does LOVE the walk though...
TOday was a treat ..garbage day, we saw the BIG truck, and met the nice sanation engineers,,, and they were QUITE good looking (we will always walk thurs now!)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Originally Posted By: Sweet Mammy
TOday was a treat ..garbage day, we saw the BIG truck, and met the nice sanation engineers,,, and they were QUITE good looking (we will always walk thurs now!)
Good looking enough to be called "sanitation engineers" instead of garbage men.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
My Chama is 13.5 years old and walks three times a day, totaling 1.5 to 2 miles. I adopted her at 5 weeks old and by the time she was 7 weeks old she was walking 4-5 miles a day. When she was 3 months old she went backpacking and was hiking (in the mountains) 5-6 miles a day. All of this exercise has been great for her joints and I'm sure is the reason she is still so active and mobile at age 13.5!

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Otto is 4 1/2 months old - we only have time for one walk a day so I take him little over 2 miles now, working up to a little more each week. I walk until his tongue starts hanging out sideways, then we head home.

He never lags behind, he's usually pulling when he figures out we're almost home - my neighborhood is a big grid so there's many different ways to keep it interesting for me and the dogs. He's learned which streets are only a block or two from home but if I can make him exhaused by what he has seen, he will slow down on the way back (like yesterdays walk by the pond, lots of squirrels and birds).

I like having him totally worn out before lunch so he takes a nap at lunch and is calm when my kids get home from school.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts