German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i think a few shorter walks would be best as the added time on the walk could stress the joints almost like a puppy weighing more than they should as they grow. Shasta is almost 6 months old and does fine with 2-3 15-20 minute walks a day and some play time.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think a few shorter walks would be best as the added time on the walk could stress the joints almost like a puppy weighing more than they should as they grow. Shasta is almost 6 months old and does fine with 2-3 15-20 minute walks a day and some play time.
thx kzoppa,.. my problem is that i cant take him more than once outside.. anyway i will make the one hour walk 4 days a week and on the 3 other days just a short walk.. i also give him daily jumping and playing with the ball exercises and keeps him in a big place where he can run and walk whenever he wants..

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I think he'll be fine too, but you might not want to make him jump, it's pretty hard on the hips and joints. Playing fetch is good

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Jake was easily doing an hour last month...just work your time/distance up slowly. Is this on trails or pavement?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
6 months old and only an hour? thats like you only eating 1/8th of your dinner. not satisfying
so you dont believe in that theory of 5 minutes walking per time for each month of the puppy's age :)).. i too dont believe in it because according to this mine should walk only 30 minutes per time while i see him walking an hour with no problem..

1/8th!!.. you are exaggerating here though!!..

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I was running my dog at least 3 miles a day plus two 1.5 mile walks a day in addition to his chuckit and training time by the time he was six months old and that only took the edge off him.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I do 2-5 mile trail off leash hikes with my 3 month old long coat GSD 5-6 days a week... The other 1-2 days are usually an hour or two on the beach of walking and playing. She does really well and usually has even more energy to burn afterwords. I would think 1 hour even on pavement at a slower pace would be perfectly fine.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Indra already went on four hour hikes with us when she was six months old and she asked for more.

On hikes, they are usually off leash and they barely "just" walk. They run back and forth, chase each other...

A six month old shouldn't have any issue of doing any of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=Qfu0Fm9VyeQ&feature=related

·
Registered
219 Posts
My 3 month old puppy gets a walk for between 1hr 30 mins to 2 hours and then later in the day I walk him for another 30/40 mins. And he still wants more!!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
my puppy must be defective or something. inside she has the energy of a kid on coffee. outside a walk around the block is enough for her. I must have gotten a lazy shepherd... but i'm also kinda lazy myself and walking an hour or more a day just isnt gonna happen with my knee the way it is. least not for a good long time yet.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thx for all your answers..

actually one hour early in the morning (from 6 am to 7 am) is perfectly fine with me.. i would like to go with him for another walk in the evening but unfortunately the area i live in is full of cars and ppl and walking a dog after 8 am wouldnt be interesting!!..

i live in egypt and we dont have dogs parks as most of you have..

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
thx for all your answers..

actually one hour early in the morning (from 6 am to 7 am) is perfectly fine with me.. i would like to go with him for another walk in the evening but unfortunately the area i live in is full of cars and ppl and walking a dog after 8 am wouldnt be interesting!!..

i live in egypt and we dont have dogs parks as most of you have..

oh ick. mornings. i havent been able to handle mornings for anything since high school. lol. i usually do middle of the night walks when i can but we've had deer stalking us again and Shasta isn't big enough or old enough to be much of a deterent yet.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I do 2-5 mile trail off leash hikes with my 3 month old long coat GSD 5-6 days a week... The other 1-2 days are usually an hour or two on the beach of walking and playing. She does really well and usually has even more energy to burn afterwords. I would think 1 hour even on pavement at a slower pace would be perfectly fine.

A 2-5 mile trail with a 3 month old pup??? That is a lot. May want to be careful about those hips on the pup at such a young age. That is a lot o stress on thos young and still forming hips. I would think a 1/2 mile is good enough and of course you have normal in house/yard play time.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
My pup had pano so 1/2 hour on pavement was enough for her. She recovered fine and runs like the wind. Because of the pano I still don't put too much time on pavement but we have lots of wooded trail to go nuts on.

·
Registered
616 Posts
A 2-5 mile trail with a 3 month old pup??? That is a lot. May want to be careful about those hips on the pup at such a young age. That is a lot o stress on thos young and still forming hips. I would think a 1/2 mile is good enough and of course you have normal in house/yard play time.
Im with Ace on this, ive heard alot of horror stories on to much exercise with young pups still developing. I waited to take mine for walks til he was 5 months old and that was barely 1/2 mile. To paranoid for me i guess.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts