German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
umm, i think both of you would enjoy yourselves a lot more
if you taught your dog to "heel" on either side with or
without a leash and use a command for switching sides.
i use "other side". nice looking dog.

Actually, my pretty girl allows me to walk
with her! Before anybody says anything,
yes,

>>>>> she is not doing a 'rigid' heel, but as long
as she doesn't pull (and she doesn't!) I let her
enjoy herself.<<<<<

Sunday morning walk, 6:30am - YouTube

·
Registered
658 Posts
I don't see why she should be in a heel during a walk, she is dog after all! And she's not a sporting/working dog right? A beloved family pet? All the more reason to be a dog ;)

She's still responsive and that's the important part.

For my kiddos he has his release command, "heel" and "fuss". Heel is a more laxed, "eye contact not required" heel, and fuss is our competition heel. On walks I let him walk freely (given a release cue) most of the time, but not pulling, if we're walking around others/in busy areas then I have him heel. *shrug* Just knowing the command is good, as you can use it when you need to then.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when your dog heels you have control. you can walk in
center city, the woods, a crowd, through a store, etc.
a sporting dog, working dog, rescue, family pet, mutt
doesn't matter. heeling is a part of having a well trained dog.
you don't have to have your dog "heel" for the entire walk.
you can release him/her from the heel on command.

>>>>> I don't see why she should be in a heel during a walk, she is dog after all! And she's not a sporting/working dog right? A beloved family pet? All the more reason to be a dog<<<<<

;)

She's still responsive and that's the important part.

For my kiddos he has his release command, "heel" and "fuss". Heel is a more laxed, "eye contact not required" heel, and fuss is our competition heel. On walks I let him walk freely (given a release cue) most of the time, but not pulling, if we're walking around others/in busy areas then I have him heel. *shrug* Just knowing the command is good, as you can use it when you need to then.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I just said it could be useful to teach a heel with a release for certain scenarios ;)

I see absolutely nothing wrong with it in this video. And you can definitely have control without heeling, depends on the dog and threshold levels from my experience. A reactive dog would benefit more from being closer is what I mean by that.:)

·
Registered
874 Posts
I too walk with a relaxed intention...I don't command a heel..when we walk it's our bonding time and there is a lot of world out there to sniff. I've gotten the pulling almost down to none so that's my progress. Sometimes people take the fun out of having a dog and take the fun out of it for the dog :(

ps your dog walks like my roxy..she always looks at me to make sure everything is still ok ..and a loose leash

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should have realized there was no way I could post w/o
someone making comments about the heel.

She DOES have a very good heel. MOST of the time she is
right by my side. The video was taken about a half hour
into our morning walk, and she was only let out of heel
for the purposes of the video, okay? I wanted behind her
head shots to show off her beautiful "highlights" and side
shots of her motion, etc. and that would have been very
difficult for me to get with her tight heel. This from a dog
whose rescue bio said she pulled on leash and had no off
leash recall. Within a few days with me, she had BOTH.
About 20 mins. into our THIRD walk, she looked up at me
for the first time. As you can see, she occasionally still
checks.

Sheesh.

·
Super Moderator
32,367 Posts
I should have realized there was no way I could post w/o
someone making comments about the heel.
Feel free to ignore unhelpful comments. ;)

The leash is slack, she either returns to you or waits for you to catch up, without being told, and she checks in with you occasionally. I don't see anything wrong with that!

Everyone gets to decide what training criteria is important to them and it's really nobody's business what is acceptable and unacceptable for anyone else. Some people need a perfect heel and some don't.

I almost never use the heel command, and my dogs are rarely required to be in perfect heel position, but I do have criteria for a loose leash walk that I enforce fairly strictly. And my criteria are MINE, other people aren't wrong for doing it differently.

I have absolutely no need to train my dogs to walk at heel on either side of me, if I'm in an area where it would be better if my dog is temporarily on my right side rather than my left, I'll simply move them over or step to the other side of them. I can pat my right side and say "over here". When my dogs are off leash they don't need to heel because we're at the park throwing balls for them to chase. If I needed them to be at my side, I'd simply put them back on leash.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have absolutely no need to train my dogs to walk at heel on either side of me, if I'm in an area where it would be better if my dog is temporarily on my right side rather than my left, I'll simply move them over or step to the other side of them. I can pat my right side and say "over here". When my dogs are off leash they don't need to heel because we're at the park throwing balls for them to chase. If I needed them to be at my side, I'd simply put them back on leash.

thank you for that...I too have different sides for different situations. And Roxy is a weaver..but I respond to that too. I consider it part of her herding instincts and just deal with it as we go along. I will change sides with her if we have a "new" situation that we have never dealt with approaching. That way I can see if there will be a reaction...99.9% of the time there isn't but I'm going to be safe instead of sorry

·
Registered
874 Posts
I just start feeling sorry for dogs when it seems they are never out of "train" mode. To me it's like not letting a little kid be a little kid...of course there are situations where they need to be by my side but there are other times ( that is walk time for me) where she just needs to be able to be a dog and enjoy the scene.
When I take her to the dog park..I'm not taking her there to train her with distractions..I am there to let her off the leash and go romp with the other dogs. I am not driving 45 minutes to do something I can do somewhere in town and not use so much gas. ( I've been scolded for letting her play at the dog park too)

I don't know..whatever I am doing I must be doing ok ..cuz I get compliments all the time on how well behaved she is.

Just do what you feel in your heart is right for you and your dog.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Actually, my pretty girl allows me to walk
with her! Before anybody says anything,
yes, she is not doing a 'rigid' heel, but as long
as she doesn't pull (and she doesn't!) I let her
enjoy herself.
I see a great job. I see a dog who isn't pulling, or stopping, or sniffing. I see a dog that continues to look back at the handler to 'check in'. I see a dog who is pacing herself with the handler. I see a dog who is confident in her surroundings and enjoying herself.

To me, it's obvious that even if this dog didn't know the heel command, you could easily shorten the leash and draw her close without her breaking down.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sometimes people take the fun out of having a dog and take the fun out of it for the dog :(
I'm glad I am not the only one that thinks this. I am all for obedience training and keeping your dog under control for their safety as well as other reasons. But sometimes a dog should get to be a dog and have fun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts