German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So finally our Heidi is home. She is 7 weeks. Stereotypical gsd puppy. Whole 9 yards. Best thing ever after the loss of our Bella. Anyway, most of it is coming back to me except some stuff which I have forgotten in these 12 yrs. current question- how much leash walking is too much or too little?. We have a mammoth yard & have already started very basic commands, come, go, run( hop)!etc. But how many times a day can she walk on leash & how many minutes a time? 5.. or...? Thank you in advance guys!!

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Since you have a yard, leash walking to a bare minimum.
At her age keep her to dog free areas until shots are completed. I would say a gentle stroll of just few minutes, if at all. You can lay the foundation for leash work off leash and in your yard. If you can sit on a front step or something and watch goings on that is perfect.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Rule of thumb is 5 minutes per month of age. You can do leash training, without going for a walk, but keep the walking to a minimum. Free play is different, but don't do a lot of repetitive things like fetch... a few times is ok, but it's the repetitions over and over that are a problem. Enjoy your pup and have fun.

Reactions: bellamia
1 - 4 of 4 Posts