German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My GSD is 9 weeks old and has her 6 week shots for Distemper, Hepatitis (CAV-2), Parainfluenza, and Parvovirus. She's booked in for her next round of shots on Friday. Is it safe to walk her now?

Do these virus' survive the cold. Its like -25 celsius outside (-13F)

Thanks guys, I'm super excited to take her for a walk, but am not sure if its safe yet.

--Tyler

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I would take her out for a walk, just keep her to herself and stay away from areas with other dogs until after the next shots. It's not like she's going to walk all that far at this age anyway so it shouldn't be that hard to avoid other dogs.

You must live in Canada with how cold it is there?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You betcha, Northern Manitoba. It can get pretty cold lol. It was -55 celsius when I left for work one morning about a week ago.

She won't be going far, and its rare to see other dogs being walked in the winter up here ... I'm just getting bored with trying to give her excercise inside the house throwing a ball down the hallway lol.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
There's nothing like a walk in the brisk fresh air. LOL! Just be aware that your puppy is very little and very young and will get cold quickly so keep an eye on her.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's nothing like a walk in the brisk fresh air. LOL! Just be aware that your puppy is very little and very young and will get cold quickly so keep an eye on her.
Yeah we only made it around two blocks ... and she was cold. She pretended like she wasn't, she was shivering ... but she so badly wanted to stay our strolling.

Oh well, short frequent walks is fine with me as well ... besides, I don't have any fur, and its **** cold out there lol

Thanks for the quick response ... I think we both needed the walk!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I have always wanted to move to the north woods but can't think of any way to support myself short of winning the lottery up there. What do you do for a living?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
i understand your need to exercise your pup but be super careful- i just had a puppy with parvo and thankfully he survived but it was an absolute nightmare. The parvo virus is extremely hardy and can survive cold and hot conditions. My pup had his first vaccination and was 8 1/2 weeks old. I just don't want to see you pick up anything and have to go through what i did, including massive vet bills (he was in the hospital 6 days). I don't mean to be doom and gloom but I am now super cautious because of my experience. The virus has an incubation of 3-14 days so it doesn't surface right away. i would def stay away from places you see dog poop and places you know people are walking their dogs. an adult can survive many things, but puppies have an undeveloped immune system and can go downhill fast with diahrrea or vomitting. Good luck!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts