German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had our interview today at St. Joseph Hospital and I got there a little early to work Gunner in the parking lot before we went in. Here he is waiting patiently as workers trimmed the trees in the parking lot.

He did great! Super happy boy who loves attention. :)
Made me one proud momma knowing my hard work is paying off.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I'm sorry. We are registered under Therapy Dog Inc. and we go to hospitals, schools/library's to have the kids read to the dog, nursing homes etc. We just got our paper work about two weeks ago and I got sick so we were finally to get a jump start. We will be visiting the patients at the hospital in about a week.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
so you had the dog for a year and you trained the dog to
be a therapy dog. very nice, very nice.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Gunner looks so proud in the photo... like he already knew he was going to ace the interview even before going in!

Congrats! Look forward to hearing more updates once he starts his job : )

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
He looks to be a very happy and handsome boy, congrats.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Congrats to Gunner!

May I ask a little about the training and registration for Gunner to be a therapy dog. I have been thinking that Ranger would be good for such a program since hewas bred to be a service dog anyway. Is there an national organization that offers the training and certification? How much does it cost?

Thanks.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! He was so comfortable in the hospital, it was awesome. I had to get blood drawn (didn't have vaccination records) and as we waited in the waiting room, Gunner was laid out flat. No one was in the waiting room so I allowed him to be lazy. :)
I'll have more pictures soon.

Congrats to Gunner!

May I ask a little about the training and registration for Gunner to be a therapy dog. I have been thinking that Ranger would be good for such a program since hewas bred to be a service dog anyway. Is there an national organization that offers the training and certification? How much does it cost?

Thanks.
There are a few organizations that are therapy organizations, but we use Therapy Dog Inc.
Here is the link from TDInc.'s website on how to become a member.http://www.therapydogs.com/become_a_member.aspx
It is pretty much basic obedience is required and not provided by Therapy Dog Inc.
The fee for becoming a TDInc. Member is $40 dollars.
You can also search for a registered member close to you.

An observer will meet up with you after you fill out paperwork and have negative fecal. The observer will test you and the dog, who will be on a 3' leash and either a martingale collar or regular buckle collar, on you having control of the dog, if they are friendly, how they react with canes, someone running past them, and what they do when you walk up to another person with a dog ( on opposite sides & not touching ) and shake their hand. As long as you have control over your dog, you'll be fine.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts