German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 month old puppy slept most of the day yesterday. It's been darn hot in Los Angeles county the past few days so I chalked it up to the heat. Last night Dex had real watery poop and was not sleeping through the night like he usually does. This morning , same thing a real light color. Since I had to come into work I had my daughter take him to the vet with a stool sample. Since he's up to date on vaccinations she thinks it may be giardiasis and put him on some meds while we wait for the tests to come back. Metronidazole and panacur. Last night after watery poop i made sure to give him some pedialyte. My daughter said vet told her hes not dehydrated and to keep him on dog food. But this doesn't sound right to me, I think chicken and rice might be better for him. But would like to hear from some experienced members what they would fed their pup at this time. Any advice

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Test was positive for giardia. My other two older dogs are testing neg. I've never had to deal with this before, has anyone used the vaccine successfully as I was told the vaccine only helps with less shedding of the cysts????

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My new rescue tested that he was exposed to it, but not a carrier. Symptom is the loose stool everyday for the last 10 days...Medicine does not seem to be working to well, but its only been a couple days.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Last time I checked there was no vaccine for giardia...?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
There's a vaccine, but it's not very useful, there are different strains or something to that effect.

Most dogs are carry the parasite, but their immune systems are able to manage it. Younger dogs and those with compromised immune systems can sometimes have trouble with it.

My pup is chronic with it. She's been great for some time, but recently had another bout with it. It's bad enough that my vet doesn't test for it anymore, she sent me home with a big jug of panacur and I can administer myself. The Metro upset her tummy, ironically, as it's often prescribed to settle a tummy down.

I bought a steam mop. Bathe your dog(s), at least once during treatment, wash bedding in hot water, wash toys and bowls, vacuum, pick up poop outside etc.

Good luck, it's a living nightmare for me with my pup! Hopefully you'll have better luck

·
Registered
423 Posts
My almost 5 month old puppy Havoc has giardia. Vet gave me Metronidazole and Panacur. On a handout from my GSD's breeder she recommended not giving him (any pup she sells) the Metronidazole unless the stools are real loose and watery. She said the Metronidazole can harm the immune system and its a lot better to just have the pup's own defense fight it. A handout from my Vet talked about neurological problems Metronidazole can possibly cause. Since my Havoc stools are firm I tried just Panacur. After the 8 weeks wait (?) came back positive again. This time I am trying both against the wishes of my breeder. Vet said don't worry about the Metroidazole. The problems are from using to much of it. He better be right. I won't forgive myself if something happens....

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Try pumpkin...my dog's poop is orange but its getting firmer every couple days.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
We prescribe metronidazole all the time. I feel it is a safe medication. There ARE side effects, but there are side effects to every medication. Neurological problems occur with overdose.

Many dogs have giardia and never show clinical signs. Normally for dogs I just treat with metronidazole, but if vet recommended both I would treat with both. Berlin at 15 weeks got a bad bought of diarrhea after swimming, fecal showed clostridium and rod bacteria, we did 7 days of metronidazole and it cleared up.

As far as eating, I don't agree that any dog with severe diarrhea should eat normal food. They should be given a bland diet, either prescription like I/D or W/D, or broiled white rice with broiled chicken or hamburger. Canned pumpkin is also great to add fiber and bulk up the stools.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
As far as eating, I don't agree that any dog with severe diarrhea should eat normal food. They should be given a bland diet, either prescription like I/D or W/D, or broiled white rice with broiled chicken or hamburger. Canned pumpkin is also great to add fiber and bulk up the stools.
I think this should be based on why they have the diarrhea. If its an food allergy, epi, etc then yes I agree. If its something like the dog being exposed to giardia then I don't think that a bland diet would be necessary.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My girl just finished a weeks worth of treatment of metrondiazole. She had no energy, no appetite, vomited up food I'd give her with the meds. Just wasn't the same dog. She finished it up last night, and today is back to her normal self, albeit somewhat tired. Energy is back, slowly eating more.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Every single vet I've worked with has recommended bland diets for dogs with gastroenteritis (giardiosis, bacteria overgrowth, etc). High fiber content reduces the amount absorbed, therefor reducing strain on the gut. Giving it time to "rest" and heal.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I think this should be based on why they have the diarrhea. If its an food allergy, epi, etc then yes I agree. If its something like the dog being exposed to giardia then I don't think that a bland diet would be necessary.
Epi would be the exact opposite. You dont want to give the dog a bland hard to digest food! You want them digesting every last piece of nutrition they can.

When I'm sick with an upset gi tract, I eat soup and crackers. Definitely not chinese food or big greasy hamburgers. Or even a nice high protein steak

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts