German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While walking my 2 GSDs yesterday I turned around to see Shaeffer (11) laying on the grass. He has gotten at least 2 walks a day his entire life and I had never seen this before. I got him up and noticed a sack hanging from his abdomen. Within 3 hours he had undergone a splenectomy for a bleeding tumor. Now we are in the waiting phase (3-5 days) for the biopsy results. Yesterday I never heard of hemangiosarcoma and now I await the worst possible news.
He's been a terrific companion,a red and tan 92 pound beauty,a little aloof but unflappable nerves and boundless energy for play. He loved other dogs,loved people,almost never barked,just a dream pet GSD. I can't help but sob at what seems likely to be the final days of our wonderful friendship. I love ya buddy.
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/1696051-post62.html

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Titon and I have our paws crossed in prayer that Shaeffer pulls through this. Hugs and puppy licks to you and yours.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Sending you and Shaeffer good thoughts.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
sending positive vibes for you both, hang in there

·
Registered
418 Posts
My old guy had his spleen removed about 4 years ago and it was covered with tumors. For a variety of reasons I didnt have them tested. He recovered quickly from the surgery, has had no other health issues (except old age), and is still with us at 12. So hope the report comes back benign for your buddy! Will be thinking about you guys... let us know

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Paws and fingers crossed here that it is benign. :hugs:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Praying that the results are good. I think we all know how this feels. :hug:

·
Registered
12 Posts
That is a great picture. I hope Shaeffer recovers!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I'm so sorry. Enjoy him while you can and help him enjoy all his favorite things in the mean time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can understand what you are going through. I had a similar issue with my mixed GSD in April 2009. Even though Daisy was 12 1/2 and a diabetic, she was living life to the fullest. One minute she was fine and the next minute she was doubled over in pain. It took us 48 hrs to get the test results back. With her age and diabetes, removing the spleen may not have extended her life or given her quality of life. We ended her suffering but still miss her everyday.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I am so sorry you received such bad news. Remember the good times and I agree, spoil and enjoy him for as long as you have him. Remember that often they give you a few weeks and it could turn out to be months...make as many memories as you can and take a ton of pictures.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm so sorry. It makes me cry just reading your post! Enjoy the time you have. I have been through a similar situation and my dog only lasted three days. It was very painful. Sending you my best!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Oh no, I'm so sorry. I know this is a horrible time- I'm sure you'll make his last days comfortable and filled with love

·
Registered
418 Posts
So sorry to hear... Give him a hug for us

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He's back to normal for the moment,very happy,engaging and playful. I call him "Shaeffer 2 times" because he always has ignored the first command,it was annoying but now I'll embrace it. Hard to imagine life without him,he was here first in 1999,then my daughter arrived in 2000 and another daughter in 2001,he's their big brother!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this news. Big hugs to you and your family.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I am so very sorry for your horrible news. You are both in my thoughts and prayers :hugs:

·
Registered
254 Posts
So happy to hear Shaeffer is doing well, love both ways is a thing no one can explain you just have to experience it and with a GSD it truly is special.

He is beautiful, take lots and lots of pics !!!! and enjoy every minute you have left with him.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts