German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was wondering if anyone has experience with this breeder or knows any dogs from them and what they are like; or what you think about them in general?

Von Barren Berg
Males/Stud Dogs

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Dawn (littledmc17) has a dog from them, Brady.
I don't think she comes here anymore, but is on the other GSD forum - I would ask her.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I also think they are expecting a litter from Brady shortly.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Does Brady work in any venues, IE titles?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

I just remember her posting on facebook a while back about it.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Not sure my opinion matters, but it looks like there isn't a huge importance the dogs working or getting titles(the ones she uses for breeding).
I do see the brag pages show different accomplishments on the progeny.
Maybe if the breeder would elaborate a bit more on why they are breedworthy I'd be more impressed.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Iknow the lines and background of her dogs. I think she is breeding good German Shepherds from what I can see. They are not for top competition sport people, but 99% of the people who own German Shepherds are not top competition people anyway. Would her dogs do well in family, herding, obedience, and club level Sch....I see nothing there that gives me any red lights. Appears to be good sound breeding from primarily DDR stock.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
They appear to breed not only long coats but dogs that haven't had their hips and/or elbows OFA'd. (I wasn't able to find a lot of the dogs on the OFA database.)

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
I saw on their site for some of the dogs that they were prelimmed....if the prelimm is good and available for inspection then this is not concern. Reading hip x-rays isn't some kind of mystical art. More important is looking at overall history of hips then actual dogs involved unless the dogs are moderately dyplastic or worse. Call them and ask about the hips of the dogs you are interested in.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Many folks can't read x-rays well enough to know if they are good or mildly bad. If it were that easy, why even have OFA/ "A" stamp ect... in the first place? If someone is going to be breeding dogs and is going to x-ray them, why not just send them in and get an "official" opinion? That way folks and something to go on other than just the owners opinion of if they are "good" or not.

How are you going to know the "overall history of the hips" if they don't bother to get them evaluated?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anyone know of any other good breeders whose dogs have similar lines/looks to Barren Berg's dogs?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'm not looking to get a dog for a while yet, probably a few years so I am just looking into breeders right now... I'm planning to get a long-coat though. Probably DDR lines or a mix (East/West.)

I was also look at this breeder who is mention on Barren Berg's site:
http://www.nordostenkennel.com/

I liked these dogs from them:

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/pedigree/404184.html

Tank Von Barren Berg - German shepherd dog

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/pedigree/542245.html

Ben Von Barren Berg - German shepherd dog

For 'looks' I really like this dog's appearance.

And this one:
http://www.nordostenkennel.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/BradyNov2009008xsm.jpg

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I personally think the dogs look heavy, not just the bone structure but overweight. I know the DDR is bigboned, wonder if they are prone to weight gain moreso than other working lines.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I have the same impression as Jane. The dogs do look heavy and not very athletic. I do not think this is because they are DDRs.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I have the same impression as Jane. The dogs do look heavy and not very athletic. I do not think this is because they are DDRs.
Maybe they need to see pics of Anton so they can see what a 100% DDR line dog that isn't fat looks like!

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I would love to see some updated pics of Anton!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I don't think it's the DDR that makes them look THAT heavy, I know several DDR lined dogs that are very much athletic looking. Much less "heavier looking", these guys seem to be bred more so for their heavy set structure (not just in weight) more so than anything else, that is just my opinion based on the dogs on the website though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts