German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my German bred GSD has been vomitting bile for about 4 yrs now. Today he turns 7 :). At first I thought he was allergic to chicken. I changed his food to grain free & fish, all holistic products including treats. This helped reduce the number of times per month he was vomitting, but he still gets sick monthly, & usually around 1:00 a.m. Which means I'm up all night taking him outside to vomit. I can see his stomach progressively getting more & more bloated as the month progresses. When he gets sick he usually vomits 10x in an 8 hr period. He has vomitted up to 14x previously. Watching him go thru this tears me apart!!
The vets can't figure out why this is happening. They put him on RX strength Pepcid - it does not work! Probiotics don't work - Greek yogurt causes him to vomit. The vet has said give him emetrol, I have tried but he literally makes himself vomit immediately after he swallows it. Last week when he was getting sick, I crushed fresh ginger & smeared it on his gums. Of coarse he didn't enjoy this, however it seemed to help keep the vomitting at bay for about 4 hrs, & we both got a few hours of sleep. Once I woke up & took him out to do his business he started vomitting again. What I've noticed is, I can distract him....he starts salivating & walking in circles right before he gets sick, if I grab a squeaky toy & say "let's play" he stops the fore mentioned actions & plays or if he sees a toad he will follow it & forget he was about to vomit (I don't let him run around, but he wants to), but eventually he will vomit again - maybe 1/2 - 1 hr later.

Several things I've noticed:
When he first starts getting sick his kibble is broken down from previous day's meal, then he starts vomitting about a cup of bile at least 6x & it slowly tapers off.
He can control his vomitting
He is sensitive to ALL types of Foul
Anti Acids are ineffective
Probiotics ineffective
No loose stool
Drinks water when sick sometimes holds it down for an hour sometimes vomits it immediately - I do not withhold water, I let him drink.
Sometimes he will not eat for 2-3 days after getting sick, other times the next day.
Vets are at a loss- I feel like I need a vet who specializes in gastro or GSD's
No blockage in stomach
He sleeps after being up all night, but not sure if he's just tired or lathargic. Probably both, but would not hesitate to run around outside & play if i would let him, but I wouldn't until I see he's back to eating & I know not to let him exercise after he eats, I wait about 3-4 hrs.

I'm at a complete loss & feel so helpless for my baby. I'm sure you all know the pain I feel for my dog. I highly doubt I have the only GSD who experiences this. Any info or advice would be deeply appreciated. I should mention he is intact, as I WAS going to stud him since his bloodlines are supposedly "superior" HOWEVER I would never ever do that now, knowing what I know about his stomach issues. I would never want to pass this on to his lineage! I am so distraught for him. He's so precious, he comes to my side of the bed in the middle of the night and puts his mouth by my ear and cries into it when he is going to get sick. If I don't hear him he licks my cheek. He will not throw up in the house, unless I am in an absolute dead sleep. He allows enough time for me to slip on shoes, grab a flash light & put his collar & leash on. This in itself breaks my heart- even when he's sick, he's still thinking of me. The loyalty, love & trust is beyond any human I've ever known!

If money were no object I'd fly him to wherever we needed to go to fix this. Unfortunately, my husband had a stroke, our income has been reduced drastically. The guilt of not being able to give my dog the BEST VET care is eating me up. I've often thought I'm doing him an injustice, by not finding a vet who can figure out this problem. I just don't have the funds to chase this problem anymore. I'm literally crying as I write this. I feel absolutely horrible for my dog, it's not right he has to suffer because of me! Thanks for listening ?

Thank you for reading this & thanks in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
Bile is produced in the Liver. Has he been tested for liver diseases?

Has Gallbladder problems been considered?

Bilious Vomiting Syndrome ?
This syndrome is seen commonly in dogs and rarely in cats as chronic intermittent vomiting of bile, usually with an empty stomach. It is considered an idiopathic syndrome, possibly a primary hypomotility disorder, although it has been associated with giardiasis and inflammatory bowel disease.

Mega Esophagus came to mind but usually more food is thrown up.

Have you tried feeding several small meals per day (one being fed before bedtime) instead of feeding one or two meals?

Have you tried Raw Goats Milk?

Moms:)

·
Registered
344 Posts
my dog vomits if he has not eaten in a while. Instead of feeding 2 meals we just make sure to give him a snack meal in between. It has worked out really well for us and he only vomits on the off chance that we forget his snack. He is 10 months old now and were were hoping he would grow out of it. No toads here but he has had giardia before more than once so that could be it too.

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
Have you considered working with a "Certified Homeopathic" Holistic vet?

If you tell me which state you are in, I can give you a list.

Mom:)

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
My guy vomited bile on a regular basis too for the first 3 yrs I had him (He was 1yr. when I got him). At 4 yrs old I switched him to a RAW diet and he never vomited bile again (he passed away at 11.5yrs. - not related). He always had weak digestion though, so I was careful with high fat content in meals. The conventional vet tried to instill in me that he was allergic to chicken because of this and his "winter (only) itch" He ate mostly RAW chicken without any problem.
They also suggested it was related to the pancreas.
I would add a digestive enzyme
Goats milk as suggested by mom's (goats milk is lacking in an enzyme that is in cow milk that can cause digestive upset)
And rather than put fresh ginger on his gums. Buy the capsule/supplement form and pill him.
Ginger helps with nausea, stimulates lipase production (fat digestion) and helps with digestion.
But first I would try a home-made cooked diet. I call it the "Eliminate Kibble" diet.:wink2:
You could poach whatever type of meat and add "The Honest Kitchen" base mix called "Preference" to get started right away (no guessing about balancing out as they give you estimated portion to serve to incl the amount of meat.
Do you feed 2x per day? at least?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi! Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate you taking the time to write. I free feed him - but he doesn't graze all day long- he usually adheres to 3 small meals - for a total of 4-5 cups of kibble depending on level of activity & heat. I live in Southern U.S.

The only water he drinks is from our faucet. We have a pond at the back of our property, he has never been close to it. There are water moccasins in it, so I've never allowed him to get close to it. We are on 3 acres.

I hope your puppy Does not continue to have vomitting issues. I feel for the liitle guy. Best of luck to you & thanks again

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
Hi Ellen,
I would NOT free feed. You may not be getting a clear picture with him.

Divide food into 4 meals feeding the last one before bed and soak food, for at least 20 minutes, with water or homemade broth, or combo of Goats Milk (aides in digestion) & Water to soften food. You can get Raw Goat Milk at the health food store. The Honest Kitchen makes a powdered Goats Milk called Pro Bloom. Pro Bloom Instant Goat?s Milk Find a store near you: Find a Store

Add a Digestive Enzyme as Gator said.
This is one you can get at your local health food store (NOT GNC).
Get the "capsules" and open on to softened food and mix well, or pill him if he refuses to eat mixed in food. The "tablets" are a little hard to grind up but doable. https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Super-Enzymes-Capsules/dp/B000WSP4SI/ref=sr_1_3_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1465994562&sr=1-3&keywords=now+super+enzymes+180+capsules

I'll get you a list tonite!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Obviously I'm new to this forum - I apologize for not getting my reply to appear properly. I promise I will take the time to read & learn the idiosycisys/rules of this forum.

Regarding chicken: he vomits when I have fed him boiled white chicken meat with no skin/fat. This has led me to shy away from feeding raw. I would love to forgo kibble!!!

The fresh ginger was just a quick fix in the spur of moment - I have now ordered APAWTHECARY brand.

I live in South Carolina, however Charlotte, North Carolina is very close.

He does not put his mouth close to toads I tell him they are poison - he stays back about a foot and chases them. He does understand poison - well to the degree of stay away- probably more my tone. We do have poisonous toads in SC, on any given night I can have at least 7 toads in any part of my yard-it's literally a symphony of frogs/toads at night. I have no way of avoiding them. I find them in the pool daily too.

Vets have never mentioned liver disease nor pancreas :(. I will need to google all of MOMS medical terms as I am not familiar with any of those. Which is my next order of business.

I love the idea of goats milk - where can I purchase this- Trader Joes, Whole Foods? Do dogs readily drink it, or should I be prepared to get out the turkey injector, and have him run & hide? Funny how they always know when somethings up.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your time & help. I truly appreciate your suggestions.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
If it were me in your position, I would contact the vet that has seen him and cannot find the problem. Ask him about the closest vet teaching hospital. While they are very expensive to treat your pet/animal they have "trials" that if an ill dog fits a pattern, they may want to make a part of their study and treatment will be free....

I've attached a link to our nearest one here in Idaho just to give you an idea of what may also be available to you in your area. When our local vets get stumped - they always recommend these University facilities that have a vet program because of their sophisticated equipment and teacher/ training for diagnostics. They also trial for new drugs developed by pharmaceutical companies.

Trials are not without their risks, but you would want any explained before you make a decision IF there is one close to you and they would be interested in admitting your dog into a trial. This may include drugs formulated to fix a problem but are not tested enough yet to be released for general vet use. Your vet can tell you much more....

https://vth.vetmed.wsu.edu/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Mom, (I love that I have 2 Moms now ;})

Regarding free feeding him, I actually do know how much food he is eating as he doesn't eat when I'm not in the kitchen with him. He is a very regular eater. I've actually measured his left over food in bowl after he eats just to see how much he's taken in and it is consistently the same amounts time & time again. He eats at the same time daily and also at night right before I go to bed.
Am I doing him an injustice? I am home all day long, he's always with me - room to room. As much as he's watching me, I've got my eyes on him so to speak. Don't get me wrong though, I do leave the house :)

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
Free Feeding is never recommended.

I'd use the 4 small feedings method with a little goats milk and digestive enzyme in each if he were mine.

Sorry, I don't have time for the Homeopathic vet list right now, I'm off to work! :|

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
more questions --

what are you feeding the dog (sorry if you have already mentioned this)

one cause for bile problems (potentially gallstones) is nutritional deficiency .

Gator touched on this when she mentioned her dog had a chronic problem which
resolved over time once she switched to a raw diet .

Bone broth will do wonders as it supplies glycine . (gelatinous material -- so also animal sourced gelatin)
Organ meats. Egg yolks .

Phosphatidylcholine deficient -- helps liver function -- dissolves gall stones ! , helps heartburn (not antacids -- just the opposite -- ) .

Again an indication that the dog's diet is deficient -- sources are liver (organ meats) red meat , again egg yolks.

Phosphatidylcholine is in bile to help emulsify fats and transport them through the bloodstream so that you don't have a fatty build up in the liver and gallbladder.

basically you need to address liver and gallbladder issues with your dog --- improve the diet !!

end for now

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
Here is a list for SC and NC.
Make sure you ask for an appointment with a Homeopath or a Homeotoxicologist.

Good Luck!

SOUTH CAROLINA
Fowler, Jeanne
DVM
All About Pets, PA
409 OLD BUNCOMBE RD
Travelers Rest
864-834-7334
SC
United States
www.holisticvetsc.com
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (IVAS), Chinese Herbs, Chinese Herbs (Chi), Conventional Medicine, Homeopathy - Classical, Homotoxicology, Prolotherapy, VOM, Western Herbs

Onderdonk, Shelley
DVM
Aiken Veterinary Acupunture
370 LANGDON RD
Aiken
(803) 215-3955
SC
United States
www.sodvm.com
EQUINE, SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (IVAS), Clinical Nutrition, Conventional Medicine, Homotoxicology, Massage Therapy

2908 Maybank Highway
Johns Island
843-437-0063
SC
United States
www.sundogcatmoon.com
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture (CHI), Chinese Herbs (Chi), Conventional Medicine, Glandular Therapy, Homeopathy, Laser Therapy, Western Herbs
Shoemaker, Judith
DVM
Always Helpful Veterinary Services
305 NOTTINGHAM ROAD
Nottingham
717-529-0526
PA
United States
www.judithshoemaker.com#http://www.judithshoemaker.com#
EQUINE, FARM, MIXED ANIMAL, SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (IVAS), Applied Kinesiology, Bach Flowers, Chinese Herbs, Chiropractic, Chiropractic (AVCA), Craniosacral Therapy, Electromagnetic Therapy (EAV, Interro, Biotron II, etc.), Glandular Therapy, Homeopathy, Homotoxicology, Nutrition, Other (fill in below), Ozone Therapy, Prolotherapy, Pulsating Magnetic Therapy, Rehabilitation Therapy, Western Herbs
Timmerman, Charlie
DVM
1316 RICHLAND AVE EAST
Aiken
803-648-6886
SC
United States
www.aikenvet.com
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Chinese Herbs, Clinical Nutrition, Conventional Medicine, Homeopathy, Magnetic Therapy, Nutrition, VOM

NORTH CAROLINA
Name
Address, Phone
State
More Info
Alley, Audra
DVM
Shiloh Animal Hospital
10970 Chapel Hill Road
Morrisville
919-825-1000
NC
United States
www.shilohanimalhospital.com
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (IVAS), Chinese Herbs, Clinical Nutrition, Conventional Medicine, Homeopathy, Nutrition, Other (fill in below)
Bowman, Gale
DVM
8308 CREEDMOOR RD
Raleigh
919-847-0123
NC
United States
www.bowmananimalhospital.com
AVIAN, EXOTIC, HOUSE CALLS, SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (IVAS), Applied Kinesiology, Chinese Herbs, Chiropractic, Clinical Nutrition, Conventional Medicine, Electromagnetic Therapy (EAV, Interro, Biotron II, etc.), Glandular Therapy, Homeopathy, Homotoxicology, IAT (Immuno-Augmentive Therapy), Nutrition, Ozone Therapy, Reiki, VOM, Western Herbs

Davis, Laurel
DVM
SUN VET ANIMAL WELLNESS CLINIC
251-A HAYWOOD ST
Asheville
828-254-2221
NC
United States
www.sunvetanimalwellness.com
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (IVAS), Applied Kinesiology, Bach Flowers, Chinese Herbs, Chiropractic, Clinical Nutrition, Conventional Medicine, Craniosacral Therapy, Homeopathy, Laser Therapy, NAET, Nutrition, VOM, Western Herbs
De Haan, Roger
DVM
Caring Holistic Services
105 POLICE CLUB DR
Kings Mountain
704-734-0061
NC
United States
www.aholisticvet.com
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Applied Kinesiology, Bach Flowers, Chinese Herbs, Chiropractic, Chiropractic (AVCA), Clinical Nutrition, Color Therapy, Conventional Medicine, Craniosacral Therapy, Glandular Therapy, Homeopathy, Homeopathy - Classical, Laser Therapy, Magnetic Therapy, Massage Therapy, NAET, Nutrition, Osteopathy, Prolotherapy, VOM, Western Herbs

Fitch, Robert
DVM
155 SHUFORD ROAD
Columbus
828-894-6064
NC
United States
www.bonniebraeveterinarhospital.com
EXOTIC, HOUSE CALLS, SMALL ANIMAL
Chinese Herbs, Chiropractic, Chiropractic (AVCA), Conventional Medicine, Homeopathy
Fochios, Andrea
DVM
16 Harris Avenue
Asheville
828-254-2773
NC
United States
http://www.peopleandpetsacupuncture.com/
EXOTIC, SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (Tufts), Applied Kinesiology, Bach Flowers, Chinese Herbs, Conventional Medicine, Homotoxicology, Nutrition, Pulsating Magnetic Therapy, Western Herbs

Holshouser, Ann
DVM
Riversong Veterinary Clinic
4 Market Street
Brevard
828-862-8450
NC
United States
www.riversongvet.com
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (CHI), Bach Flowers, Chinese Herbs, Chinese Herbs (Chi), Conventional Medicine, Glandular Therapy, Homeopathy - Classical, Nutrition, Western Herbs

Ling, Tsin Yuen
DVM
201 East Arlington Blvd
Greenville
252-327-6168
NC
United States
FARM, SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (CHI), Chinese Herbs (Chi), Clinical Nutrition, Homeopathy, Homeopathy - Classical, NAET, Western Herbs
Loops, Charles
DVM
38 WADDELL HOLLOW RD
Pittsboro
919-542-0442
NC
United States
www.charlesloopsdvm.com
AVIAN, EQUINE, FARM, SMALL ANIMAL
Chinese Herbs, Homeopathy - Classical, Nutrition, Western Herbs

Radford, Kathy
DVM
Lewisville Mobile Holistic Veterinary Service
5335 Robinhood Village, #11
Winston-Salem
336-655-8970
NC
United States
www.lewisvilleholisticvet.com
HOUSE CALLS, SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture (CHI), Bach Flowers, Chinese Herbs, Chinese Herbs (Chi), Clinical Nutrition, Conventional Medicine, Homeopathy - Classical, Homeopathy (AVH), Nutrition, Western Herbs

Schell, Thomas
DVM
3446 FALL CREEK CH. RD.
Jonesville
336-526-6013
NC
United States
www.timbercreekvet.com
EQUINE, SMALL ANIMAL
Chinese Herbs, Clinical Nutrition, Conventional Medicine, Glandular Therapy, IAT (Immuno-Augmentive Therapy), Nutrition

Theisen, Linnea
DVM
Integrative Healing Veterinary Clinic & Mobile Svcs.
302 S. Jimmies Creek Dr.
New Bern
252-671-4883
NC
US
www.integrativehealingvet.com
EQUINE, FARM, FELINE, HOUSE CALLS, Large animal, Mixed, MIXED ANIMAL, SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture (CHI), Chinese Herbs, Chinese Herbs (Chi), Chiropractic, Chiropractic (HOWC), Homeopathy, Nutrition, Reiki
Todd, Jr, Thomas
DVM
1239 OLD MURPHY RD
Franklin
828-524-6121
NC
United States
www.noahsarkvet.us
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (IVAS), Chinese Herbs, Clinical Nutrition, Conventional Medicine, Homeopathy, Homotoxicology, Nutrition

Woodaman, Kristine
DVM
102 UNCLE COSS POND
Columbus
828-863-4318
NC
United States
EQUINE, SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (IVAS), Chinese Herbs, Chiropractic, Chiropractic (AVCA), Homeopathy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts