German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here. I have some questions maybe some of you can lend some insight on. I have a purebred GSD, intact male, 19 months old. He vomits about once a day. Usually in the middle of the night. It has been ongoing for about 6 months now. We have been to the vet a bunch of times. He is currently on Reglan (1 pill 2x a day), and that seems to to stop it, but whenever I try to wean him off of the pills, the vomiting starts back up. We've done 2 blood tests, levels pretty normal, tested for EPI and other things, nothing was too out of whack to indicate anything. When I got him he was 5 months old, and the breeder said to feed him Iams, so I had him on that. After he started with the vomiting, I was advised to switch food, so he was on TOTW. It stopped for a little while, but came back. Recently I switched to Nutri Life Fish Formula, and no change. Now the vet wants to do a scope so they can look down inside him, take biopsies, and try to figure it out that way. Anybody have any similar experiences or suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
What time do you feed him?
I have had an ongoing problem exactly with this.
I got it under control by feeding him three times a day, two snacks and a big meal before bed.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
What time do you feed him?
I have had an ongoing problem exactly with this.
I got it under control by feeding him three times a day, two snacks and a big meal before bed.
First thought that popped into my head as well, empty stomach maybe? Have you tried feeding a small before bed or midnight snack?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ouch, have they done a xray to rule out a obstruction?
Not yet. They wanted to do the scope, but when I found out it was going to be $1400-$2000 I told them lets take an x ray first. Scheduling an x ray and neuter soon.

The Reglan will mask the symptoms, but will not take care of the problem.
He could also be sensitive to some ingredient in the dog food, or need some digestive enzymes and probiotics.
Its definitely masking. The vet said she doesnt believe it to be an allergy. Any advice on probiotics or digestive enzymes? I dont know much about them.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Get a vet appointment and ask for a check for a hernia --- diaphragmatic . This came to mind when you said the dog was vomiting " the vomit is all food. Never foamy or liquidy." See the vet as soon as you can . In the meantime I would run all his food through a blender and liquefy it so he has some nutrition. With an internal hernia water can get through .

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Also, is it regurgitation or vomiting? Vomiting is when they have abdominal contractions, and go hurka gurka.
Regurgitation is when they open their mouth and the food just slides out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As for the hernia, every physical examination hes fine. A little backed up with poop, but everything else is good. Is it something they feel for?

And it is vomiting, not regurgitation. He sits down, starts breathing a little heavy, gets drooly and starts blowing bubbles, then gets up, walks around hurka gurkas it out.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Poor guy. I would ask the vet for an SIBO/EPI panel. It is a blood test.
If there is bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine, this could keep the food from getting digested properly, and when it gets farther down the digestive tract, the dog can't handle it and it comes back up.
I just found a pretty good link that explains it.
http://www.globalspan.net/epi.htm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We tested for EPI the last time. Results came back negative.

Im at a loss on what to do next. I am going to go to the local health pet food store where I get his food and have her school me on probiotics and what not. Do the x ray next week sometime to make sure there is no blockages.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
We tested for EPI the last time. Results came back negative.

Im at a loss on what to do next. I am going to go to the local health pet food store where I get his food and have her school me on probiotics and what not. Do the x ray next week sometime to make sure there is no blockages.
Oh, man. I so do feel for you.
Then all that is left is either blockage or irritated stomach.
This is the probiotic I have started to use, because the vet recommended I add them to his food.
Amazon.com: NOW Foods Probiotic-10 25 Billion, 50 Vcaps: Health & Personal Care
He has started to have perfect stools when I added these.
You can also try some slippery elm to soothe his stomach.

Amazon.com: Now Foods Slippery Elm Powder, 4-Ounce: Health & Personal Care
Boil a cup of water, add one teaspoon of the slippery elm powder, stir well, let cool. Refrigerate it ( will be like a glue) and give him a tablespoon of it on top of his food.
You might also try adding green tripe, for the digestive enzymes, in case he needs them.
I love, love this one. I use very little, about 5 nuggets, rehydrated, with every meal.

The first review is mine :)
http://www.chewy.com/dog/k9-natural-raw-freeze-dried-lamb/dp/35427

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Have you thought about feeding less volume at each feeding with the addition of a third feeding? For instance: 2 cups in the morning, 2 cups in the evening and 1 cup later in the evening before bed? He would get the same five cups daily, but split in to three meals? Perhaps 2.5 cups is just too much for his stomach?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Reglan is used to move bowels. Vets prescribe it to Mega E and acid reflux. Has the vet done xrays of the esophagus to see if he has Mega E. A barium is not needed to show this. Reglan can also make Mega E worse. Read up on Reglan it opens up the stomach to the intestines but makes the esophagus sphincter tighten and could make it worse. It seems in your case the Reglan is working..

I would make sure it is vomit and not regurge, that makes a big difference. Its hard to tell sometimes. If it is mega E, when something sits in the esophagus its like sticking your finger down your throat. The gag reflect will make it more like vomit.

Have you vet rule out Mega E before he does a scope which only shows the inside track.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
If he is going to the vet soon, a less expensive x-ray study would be a barium swallow. The barium lights up on the x-ray and would show how his food is or is not moving out of his stomach. The same studies are done on humans with gastrointestinal challenges all of the time. They are also done on dogs when obstructions are suspected as well as conditions such as megaesophagus. Even if he does not have an obstruction or stricture, it would show the emptying time of his stomach and let the vet know that his GI tract is not moving his food through. This might help diagnose what is wrong very quickly.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Get a vet appointment and ask for a check for a hernia --- diaphragmatic . This came to mind when you said the dog was vomiting " the vomit is all food. Never foamy or liquidy." See the vet as soon as you can . In the meantime I would run all his food through a blender and liquefy it so he has some nutrition. With an internal hernia water can get through .
The OP stated they were going to get x-rays done when they neuter their dog. Should they still consider surgery or wait till they find out why the dog vomits daily?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts