German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sheena (9 yr old female) has been throwing up yesterday. She ate her breakfast about 7:30...fine all day...went for a slow, shortish walk about 12:30. About 1:00 she was laying on the chair and she vomited...not forcefully...it just came out...food mixed with thick white foam. Also maybe 2 times after that. She is acting fine. Wants to play..drinking water..normal poop. Dinner time I gave her about 10 kibbles mixed with rice and some chicken...I just didn't know what to feed her/if I even should...sure enough...2 more times a few hours later more puke...white foam and food. All none forceful vomits.
Her belly feels soft, her nose a little warm...slept good all night. Breakfast is approaching, and I'm not sure if I should feed her or not. Anything I can give to calm down her stomach. Should I even feed her?
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Just feed her today but a little less than usual. I don't know why but sometimes dogs do this. Usually it will go away again. Consider it may be the kibble or the fact that you are mixing up the food. I will always mix the food and the dogs do acclimatise. Every few months one of them will puke a bit. If it turns into a regular thing you need to change the food. Also the dog could be eating to quickly so get a bowl with sections so the dog eats slower

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She really doesn't eat fast...same kibble forever. She definately is hungry this morning. I'll give her a small amount...fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
If she does that today. You might want to have her checked out at a vet. There might be something going on that you are not aware of.

·
Registered
538 Posts
A day of vomiting isn't a real concern ... our Jake gets sick periodically. If it continues into today, I would suggest a vet check. You can try feeding something bland like rice and boiled chicken or ground beef today to help settle the stomach. Hope she is feeling better today.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Anything I can give to calm down her stomach. Should I even feed her?
Thanks for any help
Activated Charcoal - will settle nausea, bind toxins so they are eliminated - 2x260 mg. capsules - repeat hour later if seems - this is indicated at 100x the dose in the case of poisoning - so very safe in nominal dose

Peppermint tea (dogs like peppermint) - but natural one from health store

Ginger - in capsule form - 2/3 of a human dose

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A day of vomiting isn't a real concern ... our Jake gets sick periodically. If it continues into today, I would suggest a vet check. You can try feeding something bland like rice and boiled chicken or ground beef today to help settle the stomach. Hope she is feeling better today.
Guess this was the situation with her..she was good today. I fed her 1/2 the amount I would normally feed her and so far so good. Eating, drinking and playing.

Also, thankyou GatorBytes on the stomach settling tips.

Yes, I definately would have brought her to the vet if it had continued...not messing around when it comes to one of my babies.

Thanks all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts