German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a GSD...

Our youngest Boxer, 6 yrs old, has been periodically vomiting her entire meal. She does not eat fast. We thought it was the sweet potato treats so stopped giving her those. The last two nights, she has vomited her entire meal. Has had no extra treats or food, no grass munching. Acts perfectly normal.

Anyone seen this? Is it anything to be concerned about? Any suggestions on how to stop it?

·
Registered
32,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kind of where I'm edging to, Ruth. She's an anxious dog to begin with so I have to wonder if she's having an acid reflux issue. I'm trying to remember if I had a base line chem10 done on here when she was at the vet last month. Not that it would show on there if it were acid/ulcer issue.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Is she vomiting forcefully or does she just open her mouth and the food comes out?

If it's the later it could be Mega-E.

My guys puke their entire meals when they eat too fast or if they eat too much at one time.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Did you start HW prevention?

·
Registered
32,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No. Sierra doesn't get HW prevention. She's not an outdoorsy dog and we have very few mosquito's plus HW is a very, very low rate in incidence in our part of the country. No flea/tick either.

·
Registered
32,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is she vomiting forcefully or does she just open her mouth and the food comes out?

If it's the later it could be Mega-E.

My guys puke their entire meals when they eat too fast or if they eat too much at one time.
If it was Mega E, wouldn't it be more often? I think it's more of a forceful vomiting. I really doubt it's Mega E.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Does she already get slippery elm? If not, that could be a good place to start: give 20 minutes before each meal.

There are some foods that are also good for stomach ulcers. The only one I can remember right now is bananas but I'm sure you can google that!

What worked for Massie was putting her on homemade (cooked) food.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Do you know if anyone (neighbor, too) has put out any weed killer or any other type of insecticides?

·
Registered
32,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No pesticides. We really don't have any neighbors. :) And I think that would be more frequent as well. This is sporadic and then the last two nights she's thrown up her dinner.

No, we do not give her slippery elm. I don't really want to give her meds without a diagnosis. Just looking for ideas of what may be causing it. If she does have ulcers, I will certainly start with SE. :)

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
When my Ivy was still alive and young, she used to do this occasionally. With a lot of food experimentation over the years, we found there were just some brands of food she couldn't handle, and it had nothing to do with the price tag (Solid Gold Hund-n-Flocken made her puke, for example). When she ate a LID diet (fish and sweet potato), she had no digestive issues and did great. If we messed around with trying a new food, she was likely to have trouble again. I think it was just a sensitivity to some ingredients, with her.

Regular use of Prozyme (digestive enzymes) also helped settle her tummy.

·
Registered
32,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sierra wasn't on doxy. That was Chaos. :)

I wondered about food as well but the vomiting is sporadic. I would think if it was food, it was be frequent?

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
I noticed on your other thread about Chaos, that Seirra LOVES her and that she licks and kisses...

Is Chaos on any spot-ons? or possibly rolled in something Seirra may have ingested in her "love" for Chaos

·
Registered
32,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No. We don't use pesticides or week killers outside and no Advantix on any dog except Jax yet. And they don't even sleep in the same places so cross contamination is unlikely. I can't remember if the vomiting started before or after Chaos came though. She did have something on her that made us all itch terribly for a couple weeks until I took her in for a bath, but that was back in February.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
If it's that sporadic I would say it has something to do with her disposition at the time.

Is she used to getting meals at exact times? Maybe one meal was a little later than usual and that built up stomach acid.

Was she hotter than normal? With the weather warming up it could be she was slightly overheated.

Had she been exercising more than usual?

·
Registered
32,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
If it's that sporadic I would say it has something to do with her disposition at the time.

Is she used to getting meals at exact times? Maybe one meal was a little later than usual and that built up stomach acid.

Was she hotter than normal? With the weather warming up it could be she was slightly overheated.

Had she been exercising more than usual?
hmmm...I'll start paying attention to meal time. It's usually close to the same time every day due to our schedule, especially for her, Banshee and Chaos.

Not hot here yet so don't think that is an issue. I don't think anymore exercise than normal but will note that as well.

I would not even think anything of this except it's happening more often. Sporadic, yes but it's becoming not uncommon so I keep coming back to something going on with her stomach acids. What is really worrisome is stomach ulcers are common with mast cell tumors and she's a Boxer. I'm not letting my brain go into panic mode for that yet though.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
If it was Mega E, wouldn't it be more often? I think it's more of a forceful vomiting. I really doubt it's Mega E.

No, it is not more often, it depends on the severity of it. Regurge is more like a quick burp and out comes the food. But Mega can also make it so things are stuck in the esophagus and they get a gag reflect and actual do vomit.

Only real way to tell is an xray it shows up without barium. Barium can be real bad for a Mega E dog.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts