German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, from the beginning:

Friday pm: dinner a little earlier than usual, around 6. Ate fine, behavior normal.
Saturday am: breakfast a little later than usual, about 8. Noticed mid-way through the day he had vomited some bile in his crate overnight. Chalked it up to too long in between feedings.
Saturday pm: Ate dinner normal time (7). Had been acting a little more mellow than normal all day, but thought nothing of it. Gave a bully stick after dinner, around 8:30. About 2 hours later, he vomited what looked like chewed bully stick and some bits of dinner - attributed this to him eating the bully stick too fast.
Sunday am: Had vomited (not sure what) in his crate overnight again and acted extremely lethargic and appeared disoriented.

Took him to the e-vet for X-rays, thinking the worst - an obstruction. Took DV and Lat x-rays, showed no signs of any blockage. Decided on the home observation route rather than leaving him overnight at the hospital (was going to cost 800$!!) Vet treated with subcutaneous fluids, and prescribed Cimetidine and Sucralfate. He has eaten some boiled chicken and rice this evening and kept it down. He is still acting very disoriented though and lethargic.

Sorry it's so long, but figured I would go ahead and answer any potential questions right off the bat. Anybody have any ideas??? (He has had all 3 distemper/parvo vaccs, rabies and bordetella - last vaccine was 2 weeks ago) Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
If he holds down the bland diet for a few days, then transition back to normal diet....if he barfs again rest his stomach for at least 12 hours and limit the water intake too. No more bully sticks. I would get with your regular vet tomorrow for consult.
If this were an older pup, I would go with some slippery elm to help heal the gut and continue w/ bland diet, but as a baby, vet consult tomorrow is what I would do.
I doubt that the vax are the cause, but you never know, especially if you gave them all at once-could be a reaction.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
If he's still lethargic and/or throwing up tomorrow I would return to the vet. There are too many things that puppies are susceptible to and they can go downhill so quickly that it's not worth taking chances. The disoriented/lethargic thing is worrisome. That's not a side effect of the meds he's taking is it?

For the record: there are several dogs on this board who got parvo even though they had had all of their vaccines.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New symptom has me VERY worried.... He seems to not be able to control his bladder and is very wobbly, like he's having some motor control issues :( Off to the vet we go, well as soon as they open ...

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Gosh, it sounds serious ... waiting for an update PLEASE!!!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Oh no, praying for the best.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
prayers here too...hope for a good update.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Hope we get an update soon.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Starting to worry now...

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Just checking in...hoping for the best.

Re-reading the symptoms with the newer symptoms makes it sound like acute kidney failure. I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Just saw this. VERY worried that there was no update at all today or this evening. Really hoping everything is okay. Fingers and paws are crossed here.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
BowWow I was thinking the same thing having been there myself. I am praying it is not so and this pup is going to be ok.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I'm really super concerned now ... wish she would let us know something!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Agh, I am not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about this. I even checked once from work today to see if there was any updates.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I think I've checked this thread 20 times already today. :(

1 - 20 of 39 Posts