German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday our 4 month old puppy had a very normal day. 2 meals (Innova lbp) normal drinking, play, urination and bowel movements. The last bm was at 9pm on his evening walk. At 11 pm he woke us by vomiting his food on the crate. At 11:30 he vomited bile. We gave him a small amount of kibble at this time. At 3:30 he vomited bile. He ate a normal breakfast, then vomited it 2 hours later. Needless to say I am concerned. Zeke has been on antibiotics for the last week and a half for a skin infection, and ear ointment for yeast in his ears. All shots are up to date, and fecal test 1.5 weeks ago was clean. I have only owned him for 2.5 weeks. Other than the vomiting, he is symptom-free. Good playful energy, normal appearance and drinking. What do you think? Immediate vet visit? Withhold food for 24 hours? Chicken broth and rice? Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Agree with Jean, and don't feed him, only ice for "water" til you see the vet. Anything he takes in will just cause him to vomit.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Argh! I tried to call the vet office, but they aren't open on weekends. Do you think withholding food for the next 24 hours and keeping a very close watch will be okay? I do not think that he needs to go to the vet hospital at this point (if I hadn't seen the vomit, I wouldn't think he was any different). Of course we will reassess often and take him into town if anything changes. I am super-paranoid. My sweet old mutt was euthanized only two weeks before getting Zeke and am so afraid of him being hurt or sick.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I think the antibiotics could be causing the vomiting. My friend just took her female in yesterday for vomiting. She had been on antibiotics for several days and they gradually took their toll on her GI system.

You will need a vet to try and diagnose, but it could be the antibiotic tx.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Always a good idea to go with a mid day dose of probiotics when giving anti-biotics, to keep the gut flora active. I would fast the pup for about 12 hours and then do the bland chicken and double cooked rice diet, still limit water intake to small amounts several times a day. Get some probiotic/digestive enzymes from a pet supply store to sprinkle on the food. Too bad your vet doesn't have an emergency # just so you can consult.
One reason I am with the vet I go to~ she is always available by phone.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Antibiotics often cause vomiting. I am sure you are feeding the antibiotic with food. Try adding rice to the kibble to aid in absorption and add some blandness.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a quick update: I restricted food for 12 hours, then a bland diet working our way back to normal. Zeke never missed a beat. Normal stool, energy, the whole bit. He hasn't had another vomiting episode. Weird. I will be scheduling a vet visit to follow up anyway though. Thank you very much to all who replied. I very much appreciate it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts