German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a deposit out down on the Rr orange boy out of Christine's Blackthorn WL German Shepherds and then the temperament test came back and he ended up not being a good fit for me. So, I'm trying to research some other breeders to broaden my search for my next puppy. I came across people talking about Vom Davis German Shepherds located in NC and they seem to be pretty solid dogs. Does anyone know anything about them? Pros? Cons? The litter I'm looking at is Joana ZVV 1(Czech Import) & Collins (Czech Import)

·
Registered
55 Posts
What made him not a good fit for you? Anyway, what is your goal with the puppy? Looking at that kennel, they look to be breeding very active working line dogs that are gaining titles. The dam is ZVV 1, which is great, and the sire has a long line of titled dogs which is wonderful. I would like to see more information about the sire; what has he accomplished and why he is a breeding candidate, other than pedigree. Strangely, there is no information on their website about him that I can find and a google search turns up the pedigree, a few potential videos, and a snippet of information about narcotics detection training that goes to a broken link.

For some reason they have two kennel names with all of the same information. The other is Willow Green Kennels.....

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Can't help you with your questions but wanted to say kudos to Christine at Blackthorn for looking for the best matches for her buyers and her puppies. People deserve to be happy with their dogs. Ten plus years is a big commitment. The dogs deserve to be appreciated too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to other male dogs in my home. And the puppy I was going to use for nosework. It would have been great for that but it was an advantage seeking male with same sex agression is what the temperament test said

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The temperament test said the puppy has same sex aggression? How old is this dog?

·
Registered
32,416 Posts
Christine is a very knowledgeable breeder. if she said the potential was there then she saw something.

@Zuka.GSD - vom evolution has a litter right now. Not sure what she has left but it's a repeat litter. I loved what I saw of the last litter. Confident, own the world.
Nikki Banfield - Dog Trainer & Working Line German Shepherd Breeder

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I would absolutely trust Christine’s judgement. While I don’t have a Blackthorn dog, she was a breeder I talked to a few months ago when I started looking. We had a lengthy conversation about what I was looking for. She was especially interested in the dog I already owned and the dynamic of my house. The OP was very wise to be honest with her, as she will be with a potential puppy buyer.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
I have to other male dogs in my home. And the puppy I was going to use for nosework. It would have been great for that but it was an advantage seeking male with same sex agression is what the temperament test said
Was there some reason Christine didn't just pick a different pup or different litter for you?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was there some reason Christine didn't just pick a different pup or different litter for you?
By the time the temperament test rolled around most of the puppies were spoken for or weren't what I was looking for. I'll probably reconnect with Christine in the beginning of the year and try again

·
Registered
264 Posts
He was 7 weeks old and what I should have said was he was showing signs that he wouldn't do well in a home with other males
I would discourage you from getting a male puppy if you have other males in the house including intact males unless you are prepared to do crate or kennel rotations for life. Have you ever owned a strong male working line GSD before? Around 95% of them would not do well with other males.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
By the time the temperament test rolled around most of the puppies were spoken for or weren't what I was looking for. I'll probably reconnect with Christine in the beginning of the year and try again
What is it you are looking for? That might help.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Interesting. I didn't know you could tell that much at 7 weeks old.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What is it you are looking for? That might help.
I was looking for a nosework/scent detection dog and a demo dog but I also need it to get along with males and this dog was showing signs that he would not.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have but I have an intact male

I was under the impression that you were going to neuter him. If so, that would take the issue of having a female in the house off the table (partly). You'd still have to deal with two horndogs that can't actually do anything but get stuck (no puppies). It's annoying, yes (I'm looking at you Kalbi) but it's manageable.

Alternatively, you could fulfill Christine's contract by dealing with one episode of crate and rotate during the female's heat cycle (since most of her females go into season at 8 months) and have her spayed at the 1 year mark as recommended by her contract - I know many who have done that.

Heck, Katsu's littermate's owner has two intact males and one intact female (he waited until 2 to have her spayed). Of course his situation was slightly different. One dog was 10 years old (male), the female was the "middle child", then the 2nd male was just a pup. When she went into season, he would either have a family member take her or take the boys to daycare to keep them "occupied."

The dam of this litter is Blackthorn's Oda (her last litter as well). She has a reputation of having "sass" that is passed on to her pups. I applaud Christine for doing right by them.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts