German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods- please move if this post isn’t dog related enough...thanks

So... if all goes well, the vehicle in question will be mine this time tomorrow.
I like the vehicle a lot but one of the main areas it gets bad reviews is the limited cargo space.

23.8 cubic feet and if I can avoid it, I’d like to use the space for the dog(s) without having to lay my back seats down (the rear seats do slide forward 6” providing a bit more cargo room).

My thoughts are as follows:

- both my boys are pretty small for the breed and the majority of my trips I have one or the other (Tilden loves the beach, Keystone likes hiking).
- Tilden is approaching 12yrs and this vehicle will most likely outlast him.
- I plan to be a single dog household after T, and have future dogs within the same size range as Keystone)
- any 2mi+, multi day, backpacking type trips will only include Keystone

...I say all that to say, I’m fine with occasionally putting the seats down if I have both dogs with me but more often than not, I’ll just need to accommodate 1 22.5” 55lbs gsd (or 25” 65lbs)

Still curious however to others thoughts or experiences with this vehicle.
Photos would be awesome too!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Shadow is about the same size as your boy and I use a smaller crate for travel then I do for home. Her small crate fits on top of the seat in my extended, not quad, cab GMC 1/2 ton and fit beautifully in the back of a Dodge Caliber with ample room beside it for stuff. I have never driven a Tiguan but I can't imagine they have less space then a hatchback car.
Measure the space, and see if it works.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
When I was shopping for a new vehicle, the dog crate came with me, so I could be sure it fitted.

I learned the hard way to crate my dog: she locked me out of the car TWICE! The first time the window was down enough that I was able to reach the lock. The second time, it was a hot day, in an isolated spot, and I had a hard time finding someone to help me pop the lock.

You are not going to find may vehicles out there you can fit a crate into with the rear seat up. I am able to fit it into my Rav 4, if I turn it sideways.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
I am leaning towards a Pacifica van (when Griff gets too big for the side-by-side crates in the back) so I can fit two crates next to each other in the middle of the car. This will help to protect them when rear-ended. But I need heavy negotiations at home before we go shopping for one. (I know it wil happen...)

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually don’t crate them in vehicles *gasp*

Keystone, the smaller one has been in one before and I remember it being fine... wasn’t looking at purchasing one back then so curious about the long term practicality from folks with experience. Prefer not to deal with 2 dogs for 3ish hours at a car dealership but that’s totally a common sense suggestion that I hadn’t even thought of, lol... so thanks! 82 degrees on a Friday, my brain is fried!

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
If you are looking at potentially having to shoehorn stuff into your vehicle to make it work, I'd check into something a little bigger. Even if if you plan on being a one dog household at some point, packing up a smaller vehicle for trips to do anything is a pita.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use a fabric seat cover that covers the back seat of my wife's car. it protects the leather.
Max (my GSD) did a number on the top of one of the door panels in her car. I have since found door guards that I have to install.

I am still apprehensive about taking him in my Macan.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
I actually don’t crate them in vehicles *gasp*

Keystone, the smaller one has been in one before and I remember it being fine... wasn’t looking at purchasing one back then so curious about the long term practicality from folks with experience. Prefer not to deal with 2 dogs for 3ish hours at a car dealership but that’s totally a common sense suggestion that I hadn’t even thought of, lol... so thanks! 82 degrees on a Friday, my brain is fried!
Lol. Sabi rode around for a decade in the patrol truck uncrated for the most part. Can't see how she could have navigated and stole my lunch locked up.
Can't see why it would be an issue if no crates. I would check safety on rear collisions though, but that's just me.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol. Sabi rode around for a decade in the patrol truck uncrated for the most part. Can't see how she could have navigated and stole my lunch locked up.
Can't see why it would be an issue if no crates. I would check safety on rear collisions though, but that's just me.
Thanks for that suggestion Sabis Mom - safety for rear collisions was rated Good!

·
Super Moderator
32,037 Posts
That should be plenty of room for one dog, especially without a crate. Are you thinking about getting a car crate for the future, or just wondering if there's room for a single dog and a bunch of gear?

We test drove a Tiguan back in 2009 when we ended up getting the Audi A3 wagon. I liked the Tiguan and there seemed to be plenty of cargo space, but we always leave the seats down unless we have an extra passenger, which is rare. The main reason we didn't buy it is that we already had the Acura MDX and didn't need two SUVs, even a more compact one.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mods- please move if this post isn’t dog related enough...thanks

So... if all goes well, the vehicle in question will be mine this time tomorrow.
I like the vehicle a lot but one of the main areas it gets bad reviews is the limited cargo space.

23.8 cubic feet and if I can avoid it, I’d like to use the space for the dog(s) without having to lay my back seats down (the rear seats do slide forward 6” providing a bit more cargo room).

My thoughts are as follows:

- both my boys are pretty small for the breed and the majority of my trips I have one or the other (Tilden loves the beach, Keystone likes hiking).
- Tilden is approaching 12yrs and this vehicle will most likely outlast him.
- I plan to be a single dog household after T, and have future dogs within the same size range as Keystone)
- any 2mi+, multi day, backpacking type trips will only include Keystone

...I say all that to say, I’m fine with occasionally putting the seats down if I have both dogs with me but more often than not, I’ll just need to accommodate 1 22.5” 55lbs gsd (or 25” 65lbs)

Still curious however to others thoughts or experiences with this vehicle.
Photos would be awesome too!
23.8 cubic feet is really not very much space, however for 1 dog it may be fine. Your GSD's are smaller than mine, but when I bought our SUV in April, Kairo was around 45 lbs or so, and I thought he took up a lot of space then. Our SUV has 39.2 cubic feet of cargo space. Now that he is over 70 lbs, the cargo space still works, as he is laying down most of the time, but there is no way I would want to put another GSD back there with him, just too cramped. Of course, my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We did it!!
It’s a tight fit but they’ll survive, especially since most often there will just be one.
Thanks for your input everyone...
I love this little car!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,037 Posts
Congrats! The light interior and exterior colors will keep it cool, a plus when you've got dogs. Tilden is looking very good for his age, BTW.

Didn't you have an Outback before? They have a longer cargo area than a lot of SUVs, but the roof height is much lower.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Luna rides in the back -she likes it as our last truck had we had a crAte. The so she is used to sitting and staying in the back. Luna stare at all the cars behind us we crack up. Nice truck exciting congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tight fit indeed, but as long as you are not going cross country I guess. Nice car btw!
If I decide to go outside of the Bay Area, I promise I’ll put the seats down LOL.

Congrats! The light interior and exterior colors will keep it cool, a plus when you've got dogs. Tilden is looking very good for his age, BTW.

Didn't you have an Outback before? They have a longer cargo area than a lot of SUVs, but the roof height is much lower.
Tilden has some secrets for sure! Not sure how he does it.
I looked at Subies, the Crosstrek was my #1, but out of my price range and has even less room in the back... The Outback isn’t really my jam, although the amount of room it offers is awesome. Had the VW Passat wagon before - still love them but I prefer the older models.
Happy I went with the light colors too ;)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
We did it!!
It’s a tight fit but they’ll survive, especially since most often there will just be one.
Thanks for your input everyone...
I love this little car!
Would you mind telling me what year you got? We have a 2017 Subaru Crosstrek and are selling it. We're planning on getting a Volkswagen Tiguan, but we aren't sure what year we want. We will have a 73 pound golden retriever as well as a male GSD puppy soon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts