German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been blessed with a vocal whinny pup.. 8 months old. Sometimes he is so whinny, that I correlate this to how a baby cries when he/she is overtired, so I crate him for a few hours of sleep and he comes out quieter. For ex, he woke up at 8am and up all day running in yard and beign walked till about 7pm when the whining annoyed me too much. Make sense about being overtired?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hi

Can you please give a rundown of your dogs typical day - include food, exercise, sleeping, training, infact anything you can think of.

When does he whine - only indoors, outdoors, on walks or all three ?

It pays to look at everything your dog does, rather than just concentrate on a behaviour you would like to stop. You can teach quiet but it's unlikely to help much if your dog is stressed or bored.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the same issue. We have 2 brothers now 4 1/2 mos. Rocco...the whiner is driving us nuts. Its like he gets separation anxiety when he's not on top of his bro playing. We go out of our way to keep them separated, but they do get play time together throughout the day. We have tried correcting him and then praising when he stops, but it doesn't seem to get any better. He doesn't whine when he playing with his bro Milo.

I would like to nip this in the bud so he doesn't carry this habit into adult hood.

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Are these dogs whining or talking? GSD's do talk and I don't think that you can train that out of them..Mine is vocal too, she talks all the time and most of the time she gets the last word in too:)

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
luke, yes, I think you are right in your read of the situation, and crating him won't do any harm at all, sounds like it helps a lot.
If it works and gives you a break and causes no harm then do it.
In my experience, my dog whines because she is either talking back or she wants something... or she's trying to tell me something.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
does this mean your dog is in the yard starting at 8:00 am whining
and being walked at 7:00 pm?

I've been blessed with a vocal whinny pup.. 8 months old. Sometimes he is so whinny, that I correlate this to how a baby cries when he/she is overtired, so I crate him for a few hours of sleep and he comes out quieter.

>>>> For ex, he woke up at 8am and up all day running in yard and beign walked till about 7pm when the whining annoyed me too much. <<<<

Make sense about being overtired?

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
You are right. My breeder told me that they can get whiny, just like kids, (and landsharky, too) when they are overtired. We have scheduled naps here, and when I don't keep track of the time and run late crating him, the whining begins.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts