German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a healthy 7 year old male shepherd. He shows no sign of slowing down but I want to do what I can keep him healthy. Any recommendations for vitiams or joint supplements at this stage in life?

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
For a healthy dog on the right diet, i haven’t found the need for many additives. although i no longer use it, i’ve had great results with Springtime Longevity for my seniors in the past. in the winter i give fish oil to combat itchy skin from cold/dry weather... but there are a host of other benefits in using it for aging dogs too. the product on hand right now is by Just for Dogs.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
I would look at supplements with noninflammatory properties. Feed a good diet. Studies coming back for glucosamine/chondroitin aren't very promising.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Personally, I would not give any additional vitamins or supplements (most dog food has vitamins already added). Not really much evidence that they help anything in normally healthy humans or dogs, and sometimes can do more harm than good. I think it gives people a false sense of security and an excuse to eat poorly. Providing plenty nutritious food, exercise and preventative health checks would be more beneficial.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts