German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if this is normal. Ive never noticed it before and i dont know if im just being nervous and overprotective because of what happened to him today.

I will explain in more detail;

Daxi and Cleo our two gsd's got out today while i wasnt home. I got the urgent call from my brother to come home asap because they had got into a fight with another dog apparently. I get home and Daxi is limping badly and cant put weight on his front paw at all.

I called the ER vet because mine isnt open and she has informed of things to keep an eye on and to ice it every 3 or so hrs for 3o mins. She said the concern she has is he could have been hit by a car and not injured from the fight. It doesnt seem that way because everything else is normal. He still gets excited when he sees the cats and gobbles his food down. So.... back to the question is seeing his heartbeat visibly normal?

Just so its informed i am taking him to the vet asap tomorrow/monday

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Yes you can visibly see heart beating. On a side note though If that was my dog, and I had no clue what happened. I would pay the extra fee and have him checked out IMMEDIATELY. If he was hit by a car or something, there might be internal injuries and waiting might be a bad thing. I hope he is OK.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes you can visibly see heart beating. On a side note though If that was my dog, and I had no clue what happened. I would pay the extra fee and have him checked out IMMEDIATELY. If he was hit by a car or something, there might be internal injuries and waiting might be a bad thing. I hope he is OK.
thanks yeh i am keeping a close eye on him he is still eating and drinking with the exuberance that he usually does and is the same in every way possible. I was told the warning signs for internal bleeding by the vet and so far ive seen no signs. Its been almost 9 hrs now since the incident occurred

if he so much as changes in the least i will be straight to the ER. Its just an issue of paying 3 times as much as normal and at my er it has to be paid straight away there is no payment plan option.

I will of course pay it if he changes at all i wouldnt want to risk his health

thanks again

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Take the dog in for a vet visit if the limping is still an issue after 24 hours or if anything else crops up. Seeing the heartbeat on the chest wall is completely normal in a dog of a healthy weight. People who don't regularly see their dog's heartbeat usually have overweight pets or aren't terribly observant.
Even if the leg is just muscle pain and soreness the dog deserves some pain control, and if there is a fracture expedient management can make the difference between completely regained function and permanent incapacitation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts