German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I posted in August about our new GSD, Violet. We adopted her from the Humane League of Lancaster County (Pennsylvania) three months after she'd been seized by cruelty officers. She was living on an Amish farm where her foot had been crushed by a horse. No surprise, the owner refused to seek veterinary care and the neighbors alerted authorities. The dog was in such bad shape, she was legally seized and spent three months in the shelter's veterinary clinic where she underwent intensive antibiotic therapy and surgery to remove a toe.
We adopted her in July and found that she needed yet more surgery to remove another toe and several sequestra (infected bone fragments). I posted on this forum at that point wondering if this dog was really that aloof or if she just hated us. We were first-time shepherd owners and had doubts about whether she even liked us or not. She was withdrawn and seemed to be miserable.
Within 36 hours after the second surgery, it was like we had a brand new dog. She was bright, social and really started to interact. It turns out that she was just in misery from being in pain. It took a very long time for her to completely heal but 5 months later, she has no lameness at all and we are very very slowly increasing her exercise level.
This dog has turned out to be one of the greatest things in my life. I have had a lot of dogs, never a shepherd, and the connection she and I have is like nothing i've ever experienced. She completely latched on to me and is my devoted follower. She isn't obedience trained, but it's almost as if she understands everything I say. The instant I call her name, she's by my side and seems to be happiest just sitting there looking at me or waiting for my next move. I have never had a relationship with a dog like this. The only problem is that she's a real drama queen and doesn't like having anything done to her but with some time and patience, she usually relents and I am now able to brush her teeth and coat. I let the groomer deal with the rest though!
She hates having her picture taken but I managed to get a few. This is Violet:

I can't get in the car without her:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Beautiful - and WOW you are a special person to hang in there with her through her troubles. Best wishes for a Happy New Year with your Violet :)

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Violet is beautiful:wub::wub::wub: Such a warming story thank you for saving this angel!!! She will be forever great full and loyal:)

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Wonderful story for both of you, so glad you are giving her a life worth living. She's a beaut! Those pics are great, what kind of camera did you use?

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
She is a beauty, glad that she has a forever home! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wonderful story for both of you, so glad you are giving her a life worth living. She's a beaut! Those pics are great, what kind of camera did you use?
Canon 5D Mark II. I've had it a little over a year and love it. I took the last one with my iPhone. Isn't it nice knowing there are idiots on the road snapping photos of their dogs while driving?!

·
Super Moderator
6,133 Posts
She's beautifull!!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Violet is stunning! So glad to hear that she's pain free now and loving her new life. I suspect her devotion is all the thanks you'll ever need for welcoming her into your life...

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
she is gorgeous I am so glad you hung in there with her:)

·
Super Moderator
32,586 Posts
She is absolutely gorgeous, and what a wonderful story!

This dog has turned out to be one of the greatest things in my life. I have had a lot of dogs, never a shepherd, and the connection she and I have is like nothing i've ever experienced. She completely latched on to me and is my devoted follower. She isn't obedience trained, but it's almost as if she understands everything I say. The instant I call her name, she's by my side and seems to be happiest just sitting there looking at me or waiting for my next move. I have never had a relationship with a dog like this.
Looks like you've found out why we all love this breed so much. :wub:

·
Registered
16,070 Posts
What a great story! Violet has it made now!

Just a couple of hints -- I find my dogs don't like my eyes hidden by the camera -- it's easier if I hold it to the side to take their picture. (Now the composition isn't always fine, sometimes a head is missing but they are more likely to sit still and look at me.) Second, THe last picture is terrific but if the car is moving when you took the last picture, it is not recommended to let Violet have her head outside a window when she's in a moving car.

Congrats on your success with Violet!

·
Registered
906 Posts
She is beautiful! It's so nice to hear when people take on a dog like her that needs medical care. I can only imagine how lucky she feels to have you as her owner :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
First, I love your pictures. And thank you for saving her. She looks so happy now. She will be your devoted friend for the rest of her life. I hope you both have lots of great adventures in the new year!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts