German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have very cheap laminate flooring in my dining/living room. I want to replace it. We have 6 dogs and 2 cats in the house. I really want to choose what flooring would be the best to easily clean - like with a swiffer mop (I cant do this on my current laminate) and which would be best for moisture. My toy rattie is bad about not always going outside if he doesnt like the weather and we have a doggie door so mud comes in sometimes. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Looking for easy cleaning and durable.

·
Registered
217 Posts
vinyl is way better, especially if you are mopping it regularly, or dogs tracking in much etc. The biggest thing with vinyl is when you pick, if you get the pattern with lots of lines/grooves, if it isnt mopped reg. It gets gunk stuck in there that is hard to get out. But it holds up much better.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
We had a pergo style floor we installed in NC and we loved it with the dogs. I think if you get the right stuff it is very moisture resistant, but it has been about 2 years since we have looked at stuff like that.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
IMO, if you choose lower quality anything (and I do too when I have to) the trade off is that lower quality material wears out faster and does not stand up to much "ill-treatment".

I would get the best quality material of either type that I could afford and if that meant putting up with what I had until I could save up for better material then I would wait.

Better quality laminate usually has a better warranty that vinyl, so I would choose the laminate. I had very good quality vinyl in the seciond storey of my home (which I now have to rent out) because I thought it would be quieter than Laminate and it got ripped by the furniture of the reasonable tenants and decimated by the unreasonable ones.

In my case the laminate I have replaced the vinyl with will stand up better to any abuse - it has a 25year warranty.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
We're getting new carpet for Christmas (thank GOD!!) and right now the kitchen is linolieum. We thought about putting laminate wood flooring in there, but we've found this cool tile that looks just like wood panels. It's really neat in case you'd like to have something for a kitchen/bath area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts