German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone uses vienna sausages for training treats? Ingredients are Mechanically Separated Chicken, Water, Beef, Pork, Salt, Corn Syrup, Contains 2% or Less of: Natural Flavors, Garlic Powder, Sodium Nitrite, Dextrose. Broth: Chicken Broth.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't eat them and i definitely wouldn't
feed them to my dog. you can find much better treats.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Never thought of it... But people use hot dogs as treats all the time. I don't see the big deal...?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I would find something else to use as a treat. I would think that vienna sausages might cause digestive upset. I don't use hot dogs as treats either, but I know some here do so that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Ewww what is "natural flavor" and how is it quantifiable in a percentage like that? LOL
I've never fed it but I can't see it being any worse than petstore treats, if they like it, why not?

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
I don't see it hurting anything. I've come across multiple dogs working in kennels over the years who eat several with their meals and even small dogs who eat them as FULL meals. (Though I still wouldn't encourage it as a regular diet since they're NOT complete for it) I don't see why it'd be a big deal as a treat??

We used to use them for pilling dogs and when canned foods didn't tempt a dog into eating. We'd smoosh them with our hands into the kibble. Bleh! But the dogs did love it. :p

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
may be to salty?

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I also think they may be too salty. If you want something of that size, you can find other "cocktail weenie" types that are the same size and probably a little better for the dog.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have used them often for training treats (cut into smaller bite sized pieces) with no problems. Kain loves them. Heck, I have eaten cases of them myself and I'm not dead yet.:D

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
yuck, double yuck, but I haven't eaten a meat hot dog in a decade. My dogs eat veggie dogs and liverwurst for treats lol Ooops! well they did until we stopped the fatty treats now it is just green beans.
My father did this medical study about hot dogs (pork) and the nitrites that are in them. If you bury a hot dog, you can find traces of it in the dirt 7 years later because of those nitrites. I assume those lil weenies are the same hahaha

·
Registered
800 Posts
yuck, double yuck, but I haven't eaten a meat hot dog in a decade. My dogs eat veggie dogs and liverwurst for treats lol Ooops! well they did until we stopped the fatty treats now it is just green beans.
My father did this medical study about hot dogs (pork) and the nitrites that are in them. If you bury a hot dog, you can find traces of it in the dirt 7 years later because of those nitrites. I assume those lil weenies are the same hahaha
I'm curious how they determined this. Did they actually bury a hot dog for seven years and then exume it? Or is it an educated guess based on something else? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Those type of treats don't hold up well in my pockets....I use them to worm my barn (feral) cats because they are squishy and mushy and I can force medication into them. I've never considered putting them in my pocket for training...ewwee

My dad loves them with mustard, I suppose if he ever gets to the age that I have to force medication on him, I can keep that in mind......

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Those type of treats don't hold up well in my pockets....I use them to worm my barn (feral) cats because they are squishy and mushy and I can force medication into them. I've never considered putting them in my pocket for training...ewwee

My dad loves them with mustard, I suppose if he ever gets to the age that I have to force medication on him, I can keep that in mind......
LOL!:crazy:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Training treats is what I meant. I've had them before, they aren't bad. 59 cents a can and I think there are 6 or 7 in it. LOL. Piper likes them, but she likes just about anything.

·
Registered
800 Posts

Yeah, they're not very 'pocket friendly' for sure. :)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I'm curious how they determined this. Did they actually bury a hot dog for seven years and then exume it? Or is it an educated guess based on something else? Inquiring minds want to know. :D
I am assuming they use a decomposition algorithm or something. I'll have to ask. I just know he did it in the 90's and I haven't touched one since.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I haven't used them in much volume. I have a dog who loves them as one of her tracking rewards.

When I was a kid, my Mom gave me those as a snack after school. I loved them. One day at the store after I was grown, i picked up a can and read the ingedients. Mechanically separated chicken parts?!? What is that? Roadkill?!? This generated a call to my Mom.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts