German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My main reason for posting these videos is to get feedback on what you think about his body language, meeting other dogs, and over all being here.

Chief and I went to the dog park today we stayed for a long time probably 4 or 5 hours. He did amazing the whole time and met a bunch of dogs including about 4 other GSD. We had been there a couple hours before these videos and mostly all the dogs in them he had already met.

The first dog he checks out in this video had snapped at him a few times she was protecting her ball from everyone, so she was pretty snappy and the owner kept telling everyone that she doesn't like dogs in her face. After that dog you will see a dobie puppy and a tri colored dog that Chief had tried to mount numerous times. I made it clear to him that was not acceptable and he finally controlled himself to ust sniffing the dog and not trying to mount. I could tell he still wanted to, but he walked away.

This one is just him checking out dogs at the water bowl

This one shows him at the fence as he sees another dog coming. You can see he lowers his head a little and wags his tail

This one starts where the last one ends. He ended up laying down as the other dog approaches the fence then he pops up. As he is running around the fence he is whineing some, but you can't really hear it.

This one shows him meeting a couple of dogs coming in the gate. These people were already here once they left and came back. It shows one dog nip at Chief and Chief took the warning and went on. He actually ended up wrestleing a bit with the dog that nipped at him. The dog got him to play. He probably would have played longer if he was not already tired.

Finally last is one of him meeting a golden. He went under and licked like he normally does then was pushing his head on his shoulders trying to dominate him then you hear a snarl. The golden actually wanted nothing to do with any dog there and snarled at almost all of them he only wanted to meet the people and took a special liking to me. I played with it it chased me, played fetch and was able to get it to go up the a frame that's in the back of the park when the owner couldn't. Chief ignored him after this meeting maybe came up a couple of times and sniffed his but quick.

Please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thoughs would be much appreciated :)

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I'm going to try to get the subject line changed, and this moved into the behavior section so you may get more views and comments...

:)

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
GENERALLY he's doing pretty well. The sniffing the ground is actually a 'calming signal' and fantastic to see from most of the dogs.

What I saw that is not good and can maybe cause problems with some dogs is when he hangs his head/neck over another dog's head/neck with kind of a stiff body posture. That's something I'd step in to discourage. You can just walk between the 2 dogs to 'split' them. If he does it to another dominant dog they may be a scuffle.

A great DVD to purchase that helps 'see' dog behavior with other dogs, along with ways we can manage it, is called Calming Signals by Turid Rugass. Well worth the money.

Amazon.com: Calming Signals: What Your Dog Tells You: Turid Rugaas: Movies & TV

·
Banned
377 Posts
Nice videos. Chief looks like a confident, easy-going dog. He doesn't mind giving a bold hello and he also doesn't mind if the other dog tells him to back off.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both. I typically do let him know to knock that off, but I was just trying to video him as he is. He does defiantly have a bold hello and want to meet every dog.

·
Registered
50 Posts
my dog Steve does similar things at the dog park, especially the last video. He licks the other dogs junk then will do the exact same thing Chief does and hangs his head over the other dog. If the dog gets aggressive he runs away just a little then does it again. Some dogs it's like he is teasing them in order to get a reaction out of them. But he will always go back no matter what or unless i correct him, which i do.

he is ho hum about it and is always very very happy pup. He's only been protective one time when a dog jumped on me. He wasnt even aggressive he just darted between me and the other dog and growled. He's only ever done it once.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
hes a nice laid back dog he might be a lil pushy but who isnt?

only thing keep him from the gate where other dogs come in that is where another dog will feel threatened and attack.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts