German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took these videos a month or two ago and I just got to uploading them to youtube.

Kaiser prefers to pace when we are going faster than a "slow walk" (both legs on the same side moving together) but he will transition into a trot if I start to jog.

Here is the original thread describing his movement http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/277762-bunny-hop.html

If you don't want to read through it all, I'll just reiterate here that I only notice this hopping movement when he is searching for something in a hurry. For example (and as you will see in the first two videos), I had Kaiser in a stay and then released him after throwing a ball out into the park for him to find. Upon his release he goes immediately into search mode which is a trot with his front legs and a hopping motion with his rear. He ONLY does this when he is looking for something in a hurry. He does have a normal "gallop" (run...and he is crazy fast) and he does have a normal "trot" otherwise.

Run - YouTube

Run2 - YouTube

In contrast, THIS is a VERY tired Kaiser in a relatively normal trot (he's exhausted so he's not extending as much as he would had I videoed him when we first got there).

Trot - YouTube

I have decided to get him x-rayed on his second birthday, but in the meantime, thoughts?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
My dog does the same thing when she's at a trot searching for her ball and her hips are perfect. Looks normal to me.

Get the x-rays to be sure, but the stuff I see in the video wouldn't worry me unless he's showing pain too.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, this dog bounces off walls and keeps going, lol. He is highly active, though I tried to minimize his jumping he sure does love to run/fetch.

My only other concern is that he pops and cracks enough for me worry (he is only 16.5 months). He doesn't appear to show pain at all however I have noticed that when he gets up/lays down SOMETHING in him makes noise. My 8 year old gsd/collie mix doesn't even pop and crack that much.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Personally wouldn't be too bothered by this, but its worth it to get the X-rays done just to be safe. Penn Hip will do them at almost any age if you want to go ahead and be sure, or even just regular X-rays can still be done at 16 months to give you a baseline.

If he's not showing any difficulty moving around/walking/etc, and doesn't seem to be in any pain, then I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I guess anything is possible, but get the x-rays done so you don't have to worry about it. Without signs of pain or stiffness, I wouldn't be too concerned though.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont think there are any vets around here who are really good at getting correct x-rays (they act like everyone knows how to do it, which makes me wonder...). I figured I'd shoot for two though just to make sure if there was something developing (hopefully not of course!) that it'd show up on the x-rays (I read somewhere that the dog needs to be mature enough for everything to show up properly on the x-ray). Of course, if something changes in the next 8 months i'll certainly go sooner!

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
If you get x-rays done now, you'll have a good idea if they're going to be good or bad at 2 years. You can get prelims done at 4 months if you want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts