German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share a video I made of my first foster dog Miss Jess. I fostered her for 9 months before finally signing those adoption papers!

She went to two potential forever homes within that time but both times came back as no one could deal with her "issues".
She is not agressive, quite timid and just has the sweetest nature I've ever seen. She has had a rough life though. She was chained up outside 24/7 and her exercise was looping in a circle. While she did this, she would hit her tail on the fence with each loop and damaged it. Her "owners" taped it up with insulation tape and plastic bags and she tried to get it off, injuring her tail further to the point that it had to be amputated when she was finally taken away from them.
Her issues are that she still loops, and will growl and try to attack her stump tail when eating. We think its a pyschological problem now so I adopted her and I wanted to show her off to everyone!
So hope you like it, as she is my little sweetie! ^_^

And I hope it works!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
You sure she is 6 y/o? Considering the level of care she had prior to your adoption her teeth are in fantastic shape.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Thank you for saving her from that misery, and giving her a good life! She is very lucky, and knows it.

I have come to think the term "foster failure" is often a misnomer -- it's usually a special kind of "foster success!" It tends to happen when the foster has done such a spectacular job figuring out exactly what a special dog needs, has accomplished so much for the dog, and has given so much of their heart to a dog that they realize the dog is where it's supposed to be. Kudos on a job well done!

·
Registered
229 Posts
She looks like a wonderful dog. Congratulations.

Every foster dog should be a potential foster failure. The instant that stops being true we'll stop fostering.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well when she came through The German Shepherd Rescue Trust she was estimated to be between 2/3 years old. I figured that with her energy level at that time she was closer to 2, which makes her 6 at the end of this year.
Her teeth are really good, she is fed raw and those meaty bones do wonders! Although she has her canines filed, which was done prior to her being picked up.
She is such a sweetie, and everyone thought she was unadoptable, she was actually going to be put to sleep before she came to me. Now she is a treasured member of our family and also a Canine Pet Therapy Dog!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts