German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ran across this on Facebook and thought I would share it. I have never seen an a real life apprehension, myself, and things I have seen on TV or the computer are often blurred or not very clear. To me, being an ordinary person, this video was very powerful. The K-9 officer and his handler did a remarkable job as far as I am concerned. One thing for sure, these dogs are not to be messed with.

https://www.facebook.com/News13/videos/904063653118965/

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Shouldn't the dog not have left the guy alone once apprehended? Seems that he bit too long. Trip to the hospital before jail? These bites must hurt like crazy.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Shouldn't the dog not have left the guy alone once apprehended? Seems that he bit too long. Trip to the hospital before jail? These bites must hurt like crazy.
I have never seen the dog removed prior to the suspect being cuffed and controlled. But really? Stop running from police dogs! They always warn prior to deploying the dog and generally that warning contains the phrase "you will get bit!", and I have yet to see anyone outrun a dog.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for anyone who was upset by this, I guess I should have posted a notice that some might find it upsetting. I take no pleasure in other people being hurt, but if you make poor choices (committing crimes, running from the police, etc), then you might end up facing the consequences.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Thanks for posting this Newlie! Life's lessons can be painful, especially with a police K9 attached to your backside.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have never seen the dog removed prior to the suspect being cuffed and controlled. But really? Stop running from police dogs! They always warn prior to deploying the dog and generally that warning contains the phrase "you will get bit!", and I have yet to see anyone outrun a dog.

For Police K9's .....Until a suspect is completely under control and in handcuffs the dog should never be removed from the bite. Pain is a great motivator for compliance and control, Safety for the K9 & Officer.

In the case of a Personal Protection Dog....until additional help or uniformed Police Officers are on the scene to protect you......do not remove the dog from the bite.

Kim

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
For Police K9's .....Until a suspect is completely under control and in handcuffs the dog should never be removed from the bite. Pain is a great motivator for compliance and control, Safety for the K9 & Officer.

In the case of a Personal Protection Dog....until additional help or uniformed Police Officers are on the scene to protect you......do not remove the dog from the bite.

Kim
PPD's are a grey area. Some jurisdictions basically prohibit them entirely and in many there are regulations about on/off and length of leash allowed. In Alberta, last I knew, off private property they could be on nothing longer then a six foot leash and off leash bites meant serious trouble. Any of the dogs I worked with would have released on their own if the attacker attempted to move away from me. They were trained to stay close no matter what. And yes I have seen guys move with dogs on them.

Several uncles in K9 and trained by former RCMP K9, never seen a police dog removed from the bite before cuffs.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I also found that video disturbing, and I am not squeamish. My problem is the use of force towards a guy who may have committed an entirely non-violent, minor crime. Or may NOT have... running from the police is never advised, of course, and is in itself a crime, but who knows if this man was mentally stable, or might have been experiencing another medical problem. And is running from the police punishable with this level of possible life-altering injury? Who gets to decide?

I've spent a good deal of time fixing people who are hurt, I guess seeing someone injured like this, opens up a different outlook (for me) on police K9s.... having said that, the dog did his job just like he's supposed to.

·
Super Moderator
1,589 Posts
I also found that video disturbing, and I am not squeamish. My problem is the use of force towards a guy who may have committed an entirely non-violent, minor crime. Or may NOT have... running from the police is never advised, of course, and is in itself a crime, but who knows if this man was mentally stable, or might have been experiencing another medical problem. And is running from the police punishable with this level of possible life-altering injury? Who gets to decide?

I've spent a good deal of time fixing people who are hurt, I guess seeing someone injured like this, opens up a different outlook (for me) on police K9s.... having said that, the dog did his job just like he's supposed to.
K-9's are not typically released to apprehend misdemeanor offenders or unstable individuals. Typically the K-9's are used to apprehend felons, warnings are almost always given and the offender has the choice to give up, comply or surrender. They dictate the actions and level of force necessary to safely take them into custody.

Who gets to decide? I generally offer options and let the suspect make their own decisions. When I make the decision based on their actions, charges or offenses I am going to make a decision that ends the situation quickly and safely for me and innocent citizens with as least force as possible. Sometimes, offenders feel they can out run or out fight the dog. It generally does not go as they think.

This was a good deployment by an excellent Officer with an outstanding K-9.

ETA: The suspect was charged with Grand Theft Auto, I'm sure there was a vehicle pursuit and according to the Supreme Court, felony eluding is a violent crime.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
And running from the Police jeopardizes the safety of the Police and the Community.

Law Enforcement is such a tough job and topic these days, glad I'm retired and should've known better than to respond to this thread.

Yeah Newlie, I guess a title disclaimer would've been prudent. It was interesting to me to see a GSD do actual work it's trained to do. Who knows what preceded that arrest other than the people there. It's also likely the dog's work minimized the potential harm to the Police Officer, which has been my experience. Again well done.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
The dog did an excellent job, he is a great working K9. But I have to admit (surprising to me, honestly) it was hard for me to watch someone get bitten like this.

Slam-thanks for responding. I am glad to hear the person is given options prior to the K9 being released.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I happened to notice on Facebook yesterday that a woman responded saying that it was her vehicle that was stolen and below is what she had to say:

"I love how everybody is saying that the situation with the dog was too excessive what you need to understand what was so excessive was this drug addict stealing my car putting over a thousand miles on it destroying my air conditioning unit taking my truck mudding destroyed my engine had dirty needles in it lots of stolen property shall I continue.."

I only saw two comments on Facebook from individuals who said they thought the force was excessive, everyone else thought the situation was handled well. That suspect could have easily been carrying a weapon of some kind and if the officer HAD handled things differently, we might now be commenting on the death of a K-9 and his handler.

Again, I take no pleasure in other people 's pain. It hurts me to watch the video, too, but the fact is that poor decisions will often come back to bite you in the butt and in his case, that's literally what happened. Such is the life of a criminal.

By the way, there is at least one more video of this same officer and his dog on You Tube if anyone is interested. It involves a chase of two suspects in a vehicle, they crash, one guy gets out and starts running. The officer deploys his dog, but then he has to deal with the other suspect on his own so his dog is actually out of sight for a few minutes.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
I have no issue with this video at all, I only see a job well done. A known criminal was captured and won’t be a problem for his community for a little while, “hopefully”. If he’s a drug addict this may save his life and possibly others.

·
Registered
158 Posts
getting bit on the backside with layers of cloth can't be as bad as being grabbed on the bare arm. I think
the dog did great. Not sure what the guy did, but I don't know why people don't think about the fact that they
are doing wrong and should not run. Even if you didn't do anything, don't run!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts