German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which of the two dog food brands is a better choice? Victor dog food or earthborn holistic?

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I have been very happy with Victor I feed the high energy but have not tried Earthborn.

·
Registered
32,132 Posts
Currently feeding 15 adult GSDs and 3 puppies Earthborn, and I am very pleased with the product. I have never fed Victor.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you very much for the responses

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I have never tried my dogs on Victor, but I have seen people on this forum speak highly of it. I have had my dogs on Earthborne for a number of years without issue. One thing I like about it is that, as far as I can tell, they have no history of recalls. None. If anyone knows information to the contrary, I would appreciate knowing about it.

It may be that the same is true for Victor, though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have been feeding Victor for 4-5 months now and it's been fantastic. You can also order 50 pound bags off Amazon which makes it much more affordable. I was paying $55 bucks for 27 pound bag of Natural Balance, switched to Victor and getting 50 pound bags for $83. Better food for less money, hard to beat!

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
You might want to carefully follow the big thread we have going on the FDA Warning about DCM -- there's a spreadsheet in that thread linked by Jax08 that has crowd-sourced reports of low taurine test results, cardiac problems, connected with specific foods. Earthborn was one of the brands that had dogs coming up with low taurine on it.

It may not mean anything. Or it might. No one really knows yet, but you should definitely keep an eye on it and perhaps consider supplementing, if you feed a food producing low taurine results. There's a lot of excellent in that thread.
https://www.germanshepherds.com/for...-dog-foods-canine-dilated-cardiomyopathy.html

·
Registered
858 Posts
What's the difference between the victor high pro and high energy?
The Hi-Pro Plus has higher protein level than the High Energy formula. It has slightly different ingredients with more meat meal at the top of the ingredient list than High Energy.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Never tried Earthborn. We feed Victor High-Pro plus, because it has a higher meat protein content, and less plant based protein. My dogs have really been loving it, even my gsd, who is a food snob. ?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Never tried Earthborn. So far, Victor's working out great. (Victor Hero Canine) If Victor loses its charms with my pup, I'll try Taste of the Wild which I used for my previous dog.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My pups are currently on Victor Hi-Pro Plus and they actually seem to like it a lot more than Earthborn.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I actually went from victor hi pro to victor high energy to drop the ash levels. There is plenty of protein and Beau has added muscle mass on the high energy. He is a working dog and the higher fat lower protein is better for working in the heat but the differences are relatively small.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts