German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so angry/scared right now I'm shaking as I type... So I live in a row or 2 story town houses all with shared backyards that are not fenced and a private wooded dog park about a block behind the buildings. All of our neighbors have at least one dog (most have 2 to three) and because there are no breed restrictions there's just about one of every kind. Luckly most of the dogs (and owners) are very friendly and have welcomed brutus with open arms... MOST. Unfortunately we have some "trash" living next door to our house who are complete idiots... They have two dogs, an austrailian shepherd and a beagle, that are completely out of control. Up until tonight they've only been extremely annoying... Barking and growling everytime I walk in or out of my house... Lunging toward me or my bf whenever they are outside (on a leash thank god). The owner is a 40 aomething woman with 2 teenage boys. We hardly ever see the woman so that leaves the two kids to try and handle these completely untrained dogs. It had gotten to a point where I'd avoid them at all cost... Because I'm not one to stir the pot.

But tonight crossed a major line... I was taking Brutus outside so he could potty (on a leash) and as I was walking out my door I saw the 2 kids and the dogs walking up to their door... As soon as the dogs saw Brutus and I they lunged towards us dragging one of the boys along. I reacted by yanking brutus' leash towards me (poor little guy, I felt so bad) and scooping him up. As I did that the shepherd snapped at me nearly missing my face. Th older boy grabbed the shepherd by the back of the neck and dragged him (front feet off the ground) away from me (he was still barking and growling the whole time) while the younger boy pulled at the beagle. I immediately ran inside and almost started crying. Brutus had peed on me during the attack so I changed my clothes and took him out to the front yard quickly and came back inside.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So what do I do about these dogs and their owner??? I don't even want to walk out of my house cuz I'm scared they will be out there... And heaven forbid one of them gets a hold of Brutus... He won't stand a chance!!!

HELP!!!

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Can you contact the animal control folks in your town? Might be good to have lodged an official notice if (when?) something else happens.

BTW, how old is Brutus and is he a GSD? If so, then maybe you won't have the problem too very long (assuming that he is a GSD but still a puppy).

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
BTW2, I would definetly be carrying something if I took my puppy out. I.E. a club would be nice.

Is there a leash law in your town?

I might also try to talk to the family preferably the mother and express your concerns. Can't hurt and might work and will come in handy if the expected incident does happen.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I would talk with the kids and their mother. You are neighbors and that is where I would begin. If their attitude is rude, then AC would be my next step.
Don't let Brutus feel your emotions on this, he will feed off them. Act confident and he will feel that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brutus is a 9 week old GSD pup. And yes there is a leash law... These dogs were on a leash but were so he'll bent on getting to us they dragged the kids 10 feet to get to us.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I would talk to the mom I bet you can get her number by googling her address. Explain it wasn't her kids fault but that her dog almost bit you and your puppy while you were in your own yard. Tell her your afraid of the dogs honestly and that if her dog would have bitten you AC would have taken them. I'm sure she would like to avoid that and there is no reason you should have to fear walking in your own yard. Carry mace with you from now on and don't be afraid to use it:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My bf has talked to her once before and she "assured" us they are just "overly friendly" and would "never hurt a fly"... Yeah right!! I think we are both going to approach her the next time she's home... Which could be a while since she works constantly and we rarely see her. But if something isn't done soon I will be taking action with AC or the building manager. It is a requirement in our complex for all dogs to pass a behavior screening... Since we just moved here a couple months ago idk how those dogs passed (or how long ago) but I think a renewal test is in order.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i would definitely have a conversation with the woman and the kids. Thats not a good situation for anyone. had their dog bitten you or your pup there would have been a massive issue. I'm not saying there isnt already so please dont think thats what i'm saying. They may realize they have some issues with their dogs. I think its good the kid was at least able to drag the dog back but fact remains. I hope things get better.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Are you in a rental / lease type of community or do people on your street own their homes or rent from private landlords?

If this is a community, I would address it with the rental / leasing office if talking to the mom gets you nowhere. They should be made aware of these dogs being aggressive and not under proper control - ideally before they bite someone. The leasing office can then send those people a note and let them know that there has been a complaint, maybe that will help.

If everyone owns their homes, you won't have that option, unfortunately. Then your next step after talking to the parents would be calling Animal Control.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i would definitely have a conversation with the woman and the kids. Thats not a good situation for anyone. had their dog bitten you or your pup there would have been a massive issue. I'm not saying there isnt already so please dont think thats what i'm saying. They may realize they have some issues with their dogs. I think its good the kid was at least able to drag the dog back but fact remains. I hope things get better.
Exactly, like I said I'm not one to stir the pot so I avoid conflict but if the dog would have bit one of us there would have been conflict. But just the fact that he had to pull the dog off is rediculous... Idk how anyone can not recognize that as a problem?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
They probably have realized theres a problem and don't know how to fix it- maybe you could gift the kids the book Feisty Fido so they can teach their dog some leash manners?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you in a rental / lease type of community or do people on your street own their homes or rent from private landlords?

If this is a community, I would address it with the rental / leasing office if talking to the mom gets you nowhere. They should be made aware of these dogs being aggressive and not under proper control - ideally before they bite someone. The leasing office can then send those people a note and let them know that there has been a complaint, maybe that will help.

If everyone owns their homes, you won't have that option, unfortunately. Then your next step after talking to the parents would be calling Animal Control.
It is a rental community, and like I said all dogs have to pass a strict behavior test... Although I don't think these dogs had the test or maybe the test was given at a young age and the dogs later developed this aggression.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
They probably have realized theres a problem and don't know how to fix it- maybe you could gift the kids the book Feisty Fido so they can teach their dog some leash manners?

ooh thats a good idea. they have an aussie and a beagle right? get some breed specific books and some books on training and leave them in a box at their door one day. Maybe they'll get the message. and maybe they'd be grateful without being offended if they didnt know who gifted the books. You wouldnt be stiring the pot if they dont know who the info is from definitely.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ooh thats a good idea. they have an aussie and a beagle right? get some breed specific books and some books on training and leave them in a box at their door one day. Maybe they'll get the message. and maybe they'd be grateful without being offended if they didnt know who gifted the books. You wouldnt be stiring the pot if they dont know who the info is from definitely.
That is a good idea!!! Think dog training for dummies is too direct?? Lol

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
That is a good idea!!! Think dog training for dummies is too direct?? Lol
actually that might be a perfect one in this case. not to mention those books always have funny little tid bits that are also helpful too.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Dog training for dummies would be great,lol I'm sure the mom is a single mom, trying to support two kids, works long hours, is stressed, and just doesn't know what to do with these dogs. She could have dropped them and their issues at the shelter, but has kept them anyway so maybe she just needs an avenue to go down and doesn't know where it is?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i actually did the book drop thing for a neighbor when i was younger. they had NO idea what they had gotten themselves into when they brought home this monster mutt. He was the sweetest untrained thing. Mixed with Great Pyrnese, Mastiff,Shnauzer and a few others mixed into that furry beast. They read the books. It was obvious because they started taking the time to train this 120lb+ furball with legs and they had the book they were using at the time with them as a reference. That dog went on to be a therapy dog. So sometimes the book drop idea does work. let us know how things go!

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
If the kids get a book, it may jumpstart them to work with the dogs and help them. I would give them a list of good websites for training, etc too. Kids love to spend time on the computer!
This site is a good one to start the list:
Dog Star Daily

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
If the kids get a book, it may jumpstart them to work with the dogs and help them. I would give them a list of good websites for training, etc too. Kids love to spend time on the computer!
This site is a good one to start the list:
Dog Star Daily

thats a good point too. kids like learning and doing whats fun. dog training can be a blast. especially is those kids know the dogs are crazy and need some help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts