German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pricing structure set by my vet pretty much makes it financially challenging to titer test my dogs. Received the following email from my Vet:
"The cost for the rabies titer testing is $251+tx and the cost for the canine distemper/parvo titer testing is $212+tx and the examination is $81+tx. Alternatively, the vaccinations are $91.35+tx each and include a physical exam."
Shame on them.

·
Registered
32,344 Posts
Where they send the to get matters. Cornell and Michigan are high. Auburn is a little over $100 for parvo and distemper. There is no reason to titer for rabies. It's the law to be vaccinated.

It's not your vets fault what the labs charge to titer.

And....You only need to titer once. Read the AAHA guidelines and Dr. Dodds.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It is the law to get the rabies vax, but, in some places like where I live, you can get them titered, send in the results if satisfactory, and they will license.

I have a 3 year old Bernese/Pyrenees. He has only had his first rabies shot when he was 6 mo old. I titer him every year, and he has always been well above the minimum with antibodies.

Same with my Blue Heeler. We stopped vaccinating her at 5, and just started titering. She passed away at 12 from hemangiosarcoma. The titer paperwork showed, "extremely high levels".

·
Registered
297 Posts
It is the law to get the rabies vax, but, in some places like where I live, you can get them titered, send in the results if satisfactory, and they will license.

I have a 3 year old Bernese/Pyrenees. He has only had his first rabies shot when he was 6 mo old. I titer him every year, and he has always been well above the minimum with antibodies.

Same with my Blue Heeler. We stopped vaccinating her at 5, and just started titering. She passed away at 12 from hemangiosarcoma. The titer paperwork showed, "extremely high levels".
There can still be problems legally regarding the rabies shot, read the law to be sure you are ok with this. It has been quite a while since I read the law regarding rabies and titers, from what I remember in the case of a dog bite or other possible exposure to a human of rabies, they will not take the titer into account and will treat the case as an unvaccinated animal. Meaning they would take your dog, and treat as unvaccinated, quarantine, not in home, ect.

·
Registered
139 Posts
There can still be problems legally regarding the rabies shot, read the law to be sure you are ok with this. It has been quite a while since I read the law regarding rabies and titers, from what I remember in the case of a dog bite or other possible exposure to a human of rabies, they will not take the titer into account and will treat the case as an unvaccinated animal. Meaning they would take your dog, and treat as unvaccinated, quarantine, not in home, ect.
Interesting. I didn't think about that. I will check into it and see what it says.

Even if it is written that way, I'm not sure I would change my stance on it.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
K-state was $49 for rabies and I think parvo and distemper. Add next day air prices to get the blood there.

Reactions: Jax08

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
My pup and her siblings all had parvo/distemper titers young to make sure they were protected before taking them out. They titered again recently (well, not mine, she's here with me), to give us an idea of when best to vaccinate. Pretty useful info.

Prices must be lower in Europe, and cheaper than here. Wish it wasn't so difficult to titer.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My pup and her siblings all had parvo/distemper titers young to make sure they were protected before taking them out. They titered again recently (well, not mine, she's here with me), to give us an idea of when best to vaccinate. Pretty useful info.

Prices must be lower in Europe, and cheaper than here. Wish it wasn't so difficult to titer.
Did you only do the first shot, or all 3 boosters?

How old were they when you did the most recent titer?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
The first titer was at about 7 weeks, the most recent at just about 12 weeks.

I gave the DHLPP shot at 12 weeks, but it was probably negated by a high titer (if similar to her brother). The brother still had high parvo, but distemper had dropped.

I'll do another DHLPP at 16 weeks, and I plan to have her rabies done at 15 weeks. It's the law to have rabies done before 4 months in our state, and I do not take chances with rabies.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Wow your vaccine prices are kind of ridiculously high compared to my area. Are there any other vets you can look into? I think rabies for my dogs was around $18 and less for the cats.

I don't know about tittering though. If you can find a cheaper option and want to do that it may be beneficial. I wouldn't titer for rabies though, depending on your laws. In my county rabies are required end of story and you have to have it on a regular basis. It is legally required. But it'll probably only trip you up if you have an issue with your dog biting somebody.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
At Dr. Dodds HemoPet Lab:

https://labordatenbank.com/cake/hemopet/samples/hemopet_form

Distemper & Parvo Vaccine Titers – Summer Titer Special Effective 7/1/18-8/1/18 = $44.00

Rabies Titer RFFIT (Not for travel) – Summer Titer Special 7/1/18-8/1/18 = $83.30

Combo Vaccine Panel – Summer Titer Special 7/1/18 – 8/1/18 = $117.50

Moms
Thank you, thank you, thank you for this link! Any idea what all is included in the Combo Vaccine Panel? I looked, but couldn't find any detail on their website.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you for this link! Any idea what all is included in the Combo Vaccine Panel? I looked, but couldn't find any detail on their website.

Hi Tim!

I believe it is the Parvo, Dist., Rabies combo.

You use to be able to send samples in yourself but needed a vet tech to draw blood. This "Shipping" page does not list the titers but you can call them and ask. They are super helpful! Hemolife Serum Shipping Instructions

714-891-2022

Let us know what they say!
Moms :)

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Just got off the phone with HemoPet. The Combo Vaccine Panel includes Parvo/Distemper/Rabies as suspected, and that info is online, but only after you select that test on their online form! Thanks again for the info Moms!

Edit: Individuals can order their tests, but a vet tech would be needed to do the blood draw.

Reactions: Momto2GSDs

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know how the pricing compares, but Auburn will allow you to send the samples in yourself also. Very easy to deal with and rapid turnaround times; Cornell offers neither. :x

1 - 15 of 15 Posts