German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I live in NYC and this will be my first german shepherd. I am going to pick up a puppy this weekend and I have been searching for a vet in NYC that can validate my puppy is healthy and well ( I have no experience evaluating their gaits to identify if the puppy will develop issued in the future.) . At the end my search landed on google and yelp. Do anyone here know of a vet that he/she will recommend?

The parents are 4-6 years old and they do not have any hip or elbow test. The breeder is a male in his 55 that treats them like house pets. Apparently, it is a litter of 15.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
So many things. I would absolutely pass on this litter. A vet cannot look at the gait of a puppy and tell you that he/she won’t develop issues down the line. If the parents don’t have any tests, you have no idea that the dogs are healthy. A lot of dogs with dysplasia display no symptoms.

A litter of 15? That’s crazy. I’d be extremely worried about the pups not getting the appropriate attention and care needed with that many of them. This guy sounds irresponsible, and you want to stack the deck in your favor for a healthy, well-rounded pup. You will not be doing that with this litter. If you choose to go ahead anyway, I highly suggest you get health insurance.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
I have to agree with Pytheis here. First GSD ever, from a breeder who does no health testing or training? Good luck!

Secondly, don't live in your area or have a vet to recommend, but just an FYI, I've never seen a breed specific vet anywhere. Some are better than others when it comes to working with GSDs, but you're unlikely to find one that specializes on a single breed.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
You can find the vet who treats your local K9s. They may see a lot of German Shepherds, but they will be adult dogs, not puppies. Are you positive this is the dog you want?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Pytheis for your respond. I was getting worry too because when I asked who was the caretaker, he said he was. Then he said something like the puppy will be left alone for a 11 hours this weekend. He can’t recall the parents age worries me.

I found another breed with just one male left. His father just hit 2 without ofa test but the mother is 4 years old with good hip rating from ofa. However, he is the last one to be adopted. Should I worry?

Hey Tim, Thank you I was hoping that people from this forum will have a german shepherd and if they live in NYC and willing to recommend one. Thank you I had stop speaking to the breeder.

Hi LuvShepherd,
I feel like I am ready and I guess this is when one never sure unless they try. It has been 2 years of thinking. Actually I purchase the puppy toy, crate, food around 1 year ago but never commit to buying because I was thinking if it will be a right fit. However while the cov-19 is going on I will be working for home for a very long time seems like a great time.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I’ve never met a vet that was very knowledgeable on a specific breed. Most are kindve obtuse on things like specific behaviors tbh. Vets are more concerned about conditions And medications etc from my experiences. Dog nutrition, training, and behavior is totally over their heads. Not bashing vets. It’s just my experiences over the past 5 years

1 - 6 of 6 Posts