German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved to the Tampa Bay Area, I am near the airport. I am wondering if anyone knows of any vets that are we n the Clearwater and Tampa side of the bay that are some of the best. I would love to find one that is knowledgeable about German Shepherds. My last vet in Jacksonville was a lover of GSD and had three of their own. Hated having to leave them.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ya regan there are several, my S.T.A.R calls is thru a club in clearwater https://www.usdtc.org/. The best vets in the Clearwater area i would go to if i lived in Clearwater, i live in New port richey (the good section LOL) is Countryside Animal Hospital or Curlew Animal Hospital. Not sure there GSD knowledge level.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
One tip to find the GSD-knowledgeable vets in any city is to find out who the police K9 team uses. Sometimes a call to the K9 Commander (or even chatting with any K9 team out on patrol, when they're not busy) will yield the name of a phenomenal vet. Whoever they go to is not going to be afraid of serious dogs.

You can also email your local GSD rescues and ask if they mind sharing the name of their vet. They'll likely not only tell you who it is, but sing that person's praise effusively. That will be someone who knows all the breed-specific risks and problems inside and out because they see tons of GSDs. Breed rescues tend to know the good and the bad about most of the vets around any town because they're high-volume customers spending tens of thousands of dollars a year on vet care. They definitely know who to trust for great results at reasonable pricing, who you want in your corner when a life is on the line....and who they wouldn't even trust to put down a dog.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts