German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Annike has suffered from allergies since the day I rescued her. Previous caretaker fed BB and Purina mixed. I switched her to Fromm surf&turf then Fromm Gamebird. I would mix in fresh (cooked)chicken meat with her kibble.
I started wondering about chicken contributing to allergies so we switched to Natures Variety Rabbit Meal Formula and their Lamb meal formula. These were mixed with pork meat (cooked).

Once winter hit the allergies largely cleared up (just a little scratching). Now that spring is here she is back to scratching a lot, has a runny nose and the eye crust is back in the morning. We brought her to a dermatologist just to make sure there wasn't an external condition (yeast, mites etc.)

The dermatologist said allergies, probably environmental...possibly food (as though I couldn't figure that out):rolleyes:. Apparently it's too early to allergy test her and we are supposed to bring her back in June when the environmental allergies are in full swing. In the mean time I'm supposed to feed her Royal Canin SVD Rabbit. Aside from the fact that it's garbage food, Annike won't eat it. I tried Natural Balance potato and rabbit which was okay for a week, but now she won't eat that either. I've tried topping it with Evanger's rabbit (has a little pork liver mixed in) in a can and even that isn't enough to entice her to eat the dry food.

At this point, my dog needs to eat. I can't feed prepared raw, too expensive. I can't afford to feed regular old rabbit raw either, plus my dog eats in the house so bloody dead stuff can't be carried around. She's only supposed to eat rabbit per the vet so what options do I have. I can't find any other kibble that isn't full of duck or chicken or venison or beef protein. Doggie is hungry.:help:

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Annike has suffered from allergies since the day I rescued her. Previous caretaker fed BB and Purina mixed. I switched her to Fromm surf&turf then Fromm Gamebird. I would mix in fresh (cooked)chicken meat with her kibble.
I started wondering about chicken contributing to allergies so we switched to Natures Variety Rabbit Meal Formula and their Lamb meal formula. These were mixed with pork meat (cooked).

Once winter hit the allergies largely cleared up (just a little scratching). Now that spring is here she is back to scratching a lot, has a runny nose and the eye crust is back in the morning. We brought her to a dermatologist just to make sure there wasn't an external condition (yeast, mites etc.)

The dermatologist said allergies, probably environmental...possibly food (as though I couldn't figure that out):rolleyes:. Apparently it's too early to allergy test her and we are supposed to bring her back in June when the environmental allergies are in full swing. In the mean time I'm supposed to feed her Royal Canin SVD Rabbit. Aside from the fact that it's garbage food, Annike won't eat it. I tried Natural Balance potato and rabbit which was okay for a week, but now she won't eat that either. I've tried topping it with Evanger's rabbit (has a little pork liver mixed in) in a can and even that isn't enough to entice her to eat the dry food.

At this point, my dog needs to eat. I can't feed prepared raw, too expensive. I can't afford to feed regular old rabbit raw either, plus my dog eats in the house so bloody dead stuff can't be carried around. She's only supposed to eat rabbit per the vet so what options do I have. I can't find any other kibble that isn't full of duck or chicken or venison or beef protein. Doggie is hungry.:help:
Maybe try a different vet. :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
I was told that Allie was allergic to grass/plants - she had breakouts of lip fold pyoderma and she had a crusts on her nose and trouble breathing at times. The scratching resulted in severe infections around her mouth, including MRSA. I declined the allergy tests thinking the vet was unrealistic due to the fact we lived in Miami. I did notice that from the time we adopted Allie when she was 7 months old, she would only go on the grass to go to the bathroom and mostly stayed on the pool deck. As we were traveling across country in December, we stopped at a rest stop west of Las Cruces and took long walk. Allie took deep breaths and acted like a different dog. Her mouth and nose had started to get better in Texas. Now, we only have grass on one side of the house and so far Allie has had no problems but will not go on the grass. Therefore, changing foods would not have helped. I would have the tests done and see if you can change the environmental conditions - just a suggestion.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Maybe you should call the vet back to see if there is some other protein she can have instead of rabbit. There are other proteins which are unlikely to cause allergic reactions.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I just touched on this with my vet yesterday. Food allergies are very common and its the protein source along with some starches and dairy. To determine if the dog is allergic to one source versus another, you have to get a food with that protein source and keep them on it for 12-14 weeks before a difference might be seen. I mentioned bison and she thought that was good or something like herring and sweet potato, etc. It was a very interesting conversation and I wish I had more time to talk to her.

·
Registered
120 Posts
There's a few different foods that you could look into. Merrick Grain Free Real Pork and Sweet Potato, Blue Basics Turkey and Potato Recipe, Canidae Grain Free pureSea, Evo Herring and Salmon Formula are all foods that look like they'd be alright to feed your dog.

Have you tried adding coconut oil, fish oil, flax oil, echinacea, nettle and licorice root to his daily diet?

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
I am not heating good allergy. Yes, adding fatty acids and feeding Grain free may help her. But good allergies don't wax and wane with the season. Unless you only feed your dog in the spring a summer.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
31,706 Posts
Those sound like pollen related allergies to me, at least for the most part. Try 1 tsp of local unpasteurized honey per day and see if that helps. It worked wonders for Jax and for other dogs I know if.
The honey needs to come from within 50 miles of you to have the local pollens in it.

·
Premium Member
4,794 Posts
Here are two suggestions that might help you.
1. Even if you think it may be environmental, you can find out if it might be food intolerance here: NutriScan (saliva swab tests created by Dr. Jean Dodds that you order and do at home then send in) is novel and patented and is not testing for food allergies, but rather tests for food sensitivities and intolerance. These are different body immune responses. Food allergy is a more immediate reaction mediated by production of IgE and IgG antibodies. Food sensitivity and intolerance, by contrast, measures a more delayed body response to offending foods by measuring production of IgA and IgM antibodies primarily in mucosal secretions from the bowel.” NutriScan is conveniently split into two test panels, so you can order one or both. I’d order both if you decide on this.
Panel 1:Wheat, Soy, Cows Milk, Lamb, Venison/Deer, Beef, Turkey, White Fish.
Panel 2: Chicken/Eggs, Barley, Millet, Oatmeal, Salmon, Rice, Oatmeal, Quinoa, Potatoes, Peanuts/Peanut Butter.
$130 for one panel (10 antigens), $250 for two panels (20 antigens). Vet Allergy test cost about $500 for 20 antigens. Check this page for test differences: http://nutriscan.org/the-nutriscan-difference/nutriscan-vs-skin-patchskin-prick-testing.html

2. Fish & No Grains = ZEAL: Zeal - Grain Free Dog Food For Sensitive Dogs | The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated food. 10 pound box makes approx. 40 pounds of re-hydrated food. Found on line or at Doggie Boutiques, not in pet stores.
Hope this helps! :)

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
What I meant is. Food allergies would not wax and wane. It sounds environmental to me. I would do an allergy panel.

Getting her on a good food is best for her, but I don't thnk food is your problem.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
102 Posts
Agreed this sounds more like seasonal allergies.

My guy was super itchy a few months ago, and he also developed a nasty yeast infection in his ear. Took him to the vet and she started him on pred. and antibiotics. Then we discussed food. Vet recommended that we try Royal Canin Skin Support SS. She agreed that the prescription diets aren't necessarily the best thing out there, but also told me she's seen remarkable improvements in skin conditions in dogs that switched to the RC. I figured we'd give it a shot (vet's office would take back the 1st bag if Heinz wouldn't eat it).

In short, AMAZING results. Within 2 weeks the irritation and itching stopped. Within 4 weeks his coat started to thicken up and get shiny. Even the black skin patches on his belly that I thought he'd be stuck with forever have cleared up.

I also give an anti-fungal bath once every 2-3 weeks, just to keep on top of the yeast. Knock on wood, we haven't had a serious skin flare up in months and we're back in allergy season again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts