German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today has been a stressful day. A little info.....

I have been wanting a GSD forever. I have been trying and trying to convience my wife to let me have one for about 3 years now. The deal was as soon as we got our house built since we had more space I could get one. I spent hours and hours / days and days searching for the right puppy for me, and finally found a "breeder" that had 1 left. A cute little boy. The coloring was right, I saw the mother and father and felt very confident.

That was 2 days ago....

Since the day I got the pup it has had runny poo. Today it started with blood in it. Of course I rushed out to the vet, the vet ran tests and came back that my pup not only has hook worm, but also some big long "C" word parasite in his intestine which both are apparently from very unclean conditions from the breeder. Ok no big deal, it comes with being a pet owner, yes i was mad a little at the breeder but whatever.

Then comes the kicker... the vet says my dog is not a full bloodied GSD. That his snout isn't right and his feet are too small. My puppy is 6 weeks old. His feet look large to me. Needless to say I am very upset. The breeder insists its purebred, the vet insists its not.

Now i want to ask your opinions of what you think. I am not a purebred snob, but I wanted what I wanted. I spent good money. I love the little pup he is cute and frisky. I'll keep him no matter what because I commited myself, but I am disheartened at this whole fiasco. Here is a photo of him.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
First of all... 6 weeks is WAY to young to be in your home... especially if the pup has been with you for awhile.

Secondly, I agree... doesn't look like a purebred German Shepherds. Doesn't mean that the dog won't be a great dog though.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
A reputable breeder would not home a six week old puppy. Did your pup come with AKC papers?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all... 6 weeks is WAY to young to be in your home... especially if the pup has been with you for awhile.

Secondly, I agree... doesn't look like a purebred German Shepherds. Doesn't mean that the dog won't be a great dog though.
The day I got the dog she told me he had just turned 6 weeks old. That was 2 days ago.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I'm sorry to say that is not a purebred GSD pup (I see boxer in there?) . And six weeks is too early to bring a pup home. :(

If you wanted to return the pup and get your money back, I don't think anyone would blame you, as you have been deceived by this breeder. I also completely understand how regardless you are bonded and committed now to this little boy and only wish to make him well.

In a way, this can be a great opportunity for you. You have found this forum, and can educate yourself on finding a reputable breeder, so that when you are ready for another dog, you will be sure to get pure-bred GSD from the best breeder you can find and not repeat this experience.

·
Registered
57 Posts
No, she said she would be mailing me papers from CKC i think is what she said. Sorry I am new to all this and my information may be incorrect.
IMO the little pup looks like it has some type of mastiff or bully breed in it. It reminds me of my cousins English mastiff when she was a puppy. Also as for the CKC I've heard from this forum that its kind of a scam for bad breeders to advertise their dogs as registered. They don't have the type of regulations like the AKC or UKC.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
It is an adorable pup! I agree that it does look like a boxer mix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I contacted her today about this, she sent me 3 photos to show the vet I am guessing as "proof"

This first one she says is from the litter before with the same parents.

This is the mother and father she says

Seeing as i am not experienced I cant tell if they are or not.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
I can almost say for certain that's not a purebred...the eye set is way too wide and the snout is wide and stubby rather than skinny and pointy.

If you can...get a picture of him standing...GSD is pretty easy to tell depending on what the back looks like. Very few dogs have a back end like a GSD.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I have to agree with everyone else and the vet and say it doesn't look like a PB GSD. You said you saw Mum and Dad, but it's possible the neighbors' dog got ahold of Mum. I'm sorry you got deceived like this.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
CKC? Canadian Kennel Club?

Are you in Canada?

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Ok...pictures don't prove anything. I can send in a picture of any random dog and tell you that its the father/mother. CKC is usually the first sign that its not a purebred. (Continental Kennel Club not Canadian Kennel Club).

The mom and dad in the pictures are definitely GSD, so is the other picture of the sibling. Depending on the conditions the dogs are kept in...another dog might've gotten in when the female was pregnant and also locked. Dual sires are possible when it comes to dogs and so you could have a litter that is half pure bred and half mixed.

I picked up my boy at 6 weeks and he looked WAY more like a puppy. The proportions on his head/face were so tiny and he just looked like a miniature GSD.

·
Registered
885 Posts
If the dog was not whelped in Canada it can't have CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) registration prior to having been registered in its country of origin (whelp). She may have meant the *other* CKC (Continental Kennel Club) which will register anything, no matter how little paperwork to back it up as a purebred dog.

I agree, I do not see a purebred dog, not even in the puppy from the previous litter. Do they have any other dogs on-site, maybe an akita or bully breed?

GSD's do have quite short fat faces as very young puppies, but not like this pup. Also, I agree that no reputable breeder would ever place a dog that young.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
From that picture, no he doesn't look purebred, but that doesn't mean anything. Now the vets opinion? Maybe...

But when I first posted a picture of my puppy here I was told he wasn't purebred, too. Your puppy sorta reminds me of mine...

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Are you located in Canada?

I still do not see purebred German Shepherd.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Hmmm, I've never seen a pure GSD looking like that. In the video the tail curls over the back. The ears, muzzle, and coat don't look right either. Could be a light sable GSD mix? The breeder needs to provide a pedigree.

The "c" thing could be coccidia, pretty common and not unheard of in dogs from ethical/clean breeders.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts