German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

As many of you know we finally got our pup home and she is doing great.
I have few questions for you so bear with me, please.

Here is her "medical history" so far:
[*]Born 10/20/2007
[*]Dewormed on 11/17/09, 11/29/09 and 12/11/09 with Strongid
[*]Vaccinated on 11/21/09 with Schering-Plough Intra-Trac 3 (Canine Adenovirus Type 2, Parainfluenza, Bordetella)
[*]Vaccinated on 12/4/09 with Fort Dodge Duramune Max 5 puppy shot (Coronavirus, Distemper, Adenovirus type 2, Parainfluenza, Parvovirus)

We haven't taken her to the vet yet since the breeder gave me a certificate signed by her vet that puppies had a checkup on 12/12/09 (day we picked her up).
My plan is to wait with the next Distemper/Parvo booster shot until new year (4 weeks after last shot) and then another 4+ weeks after that.
We were thinking about rabies shot after she is 6 months old.
Does that sound right?
Should we take her to the vet just for a visit anyway?

We were told we need to get her started on heartworm preventive right away (vet's office assumed we would be there for a visit right after we picked her up). We are in CT and temperatures around here are pretty low this time of year so I dont think there are any mosquitos around. Or should I do it anyway? I figured taking my time and not put more chemicals in her may be beneficial.
Which one would be best for her? Interceptor is what the vet recommended.

Also flea/tick preventive is probably a good idea but not sure if that can/should wait till later as we get closer to spring.
Is it better to do that or just vaccinate against Lyme disease? Breeder told me that other than required boosters and rabies this is the only vaccine she would recommend.

Even though I read few posts addressing all those issues I am still very confused about all this stuff. I know its better to prevent than cure, but then there are many cons to all those chemicals on/in the pup so I want to make the best decision possible.

One thing I worry about is her socializing and being outside in general prior to having all the boosters done. sort of catch 22.

Please let me know what you think about all this. Help a newbie out. LOL

Sorry for another long post but I am afraid there will be more questions coming.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
I'm very excited for you and your family on your new addidition!!

Most breeder contracts require a vet visit within 72 hours of puppy arriving at their new home, I think it's a good idea no matter if it's in the contract or not.

I'll let someone that lives in your area speak to the heartworm/flea/ "stuff" I live in NW Oregon and do neither in the fall/winter months (if at all).

Dr. Jean Dodds' Recommended Vaccination Schedule
http://www.weim.net/emberweims/Vaccine.html

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you Barb, thats actually where I got my vaccine "schedule" from.

Breeder told me she didnt require us to go to the vet. its not in the contract.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
The problem with going to the vet, is that you will probably have an argument over vaccine schedule. I'm not telling you not to go to the vet, but assuming that your dog was healthy, well-taken care of, etc., then I understand why the breeder made that recommendation.

Dodd's vaccine schedule is by far better than most of the schedules that vets use.

PLEASE do not use the lyme vaccine, it's a terrible vaccine, and has the potential to ruin your dog for life. As for tick control, I'm still trying to find a way to do that without chemicals.

When my dog was a pup, I still took her everywhere and socialized her, but that was a risk that I took.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I usually do 3 sets of puppy shots and then rabies at 6 months.

You do not need hw preventative at this time of year. Here is a good article to help you understand the lifecycle: http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/heartworm/

You also don't need flea/tick meds at this time of year. I have never given them to any of my animals because they are pesticides and cause adverse reactions and I believe that may also be contributing to the high rates of cancer in dogs. Instead I use Bug Off Garlic during tick season and use NEEM oil spray and shampoo to get rid of fleas (although I've only ever found one on Rafi).

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ruth.

Puppy is actually scratching a bit but it could be the dry air. we tried to look in spots she goes after but hard to see anything in all that fuzz.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Dogs scratch for lots of reasons and one of them is nervousness! Rafi will often scratch when he gets into a situation where he's a little uncomfortable.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally Posted By: LisaTThe problem with going to the vet, is that you will probably have an argument over vaccine schedule. I'm not telling you not to go to the vet, but assuming that your dog was healthy, well-taken care of, etc., then I understand why the breeder made that recommendation.

Dodd's vaccine schedule is by far better than most of the schedules that vets use.

PLEASE do not use the lyme vaccine, it's a terrible vaccine, and has the potential to ruin your dog for life. As for tick control, I'm still trying to find a way to do that without chemicals.

When my dog was a pup, I still took her everywhere and socialized her, but that was a risk that I took.
I dont know how I missed this post previously. Thank you Lisa.

yeah, breeder is sure puppy is healthy so didnt want me to spend the money on the vet just for ha-ha's.
and yeah, I know there will be some battles with vets about vax schedule, raw feeding or spaying, but if they get really pushy I will find a new vet.

I read that Lyme vax is pretty rough on dogs and thats why I asked those questions. I will have to research Bug Off Garlic more but seems like many people on here use that stuff successfully.
is it also safe to use human-grade insect repellan on a dog?

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
I was lucky that my vet was ok w/ me wanting to go with Dr. Dodds protocol. She did however mark on Karlo's records that I denied the Lyme, lepto and I had to pay extra(office call) to have the rabies vax given on its own. My state law is rabies by 6 months, so at the end of Karlo's 6th month he was given the rabies vax.
One thing that is important, is doing a fecal every couple weeks when you first bring home a pup, as pups usually have worms. Even if they are clean one time, do it again to be sure.
Then it may be a series of treatments to be sure you've gotten those nasty things taken care of.

NO on the human grade insect repellent!!!
Make up an essential oil spray for when you are out in wooded areas and check your pup for ticks often during the tick season.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
My girl has battled with lyme vaccine damage for more than a decade....

I'm at a loss for a preventative. I used Frontline for years, effective only if I give a bath about a week before application. But Indy reacts to it, part of her disease process from the vaccine. The best product I ever used was one type of shampoo that they don't make anymore.

I would be afraid to use a human product, but frankly, I've never thought of it. I'm still practicing with essential oils.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
negative on the OFF! then.
good to know

now, I read somewhere on here that any vaccines given prior to 7 weeks old will be ineffective as mothers antibodies will fight it off. is that correct?
in that case I would have to assume that what my girl got so far is not working anyway?
are those vaccines I mentioned in my original post too much? there was quite a few different things injected all at once.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Do you think, Lisa that the Lyme vac is safer now? I know my vet has on every receipt a reminder of heartworm, lyme check and she is so pro lyme vax. What is your feeling, not worth the risk? Our area is supposedly one of the red zones...

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Originally Posted By: smykenow, I read somewhere on here that any vaccines given prior to 7 weeks old will be ineffective as mothers antibodies will fight it off. is that correct?
in that case I would have to assume that what my girl got so far is not working anyway?
are those vaccines I mentioned in my original post too much? there was quite a few different things injected all at once.
As far as I know, it's very individual on the pup and the mother, when the maternal antibodies wane. They just keep vaccinating hoping to fill any gap of protection. There is a period where there will be a gap though, from my understanding.

I wouldn't vax for Cornona. We just had a pup somewhere on this board that had a vax at a young age, and has protective titers for parvo and distemper.

yep, here it is, maybe bcannie can post some more info:
initial reactions to vax at a young age:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubb...rue#Post1273323

titer results:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1288008&page=1#Post1288008

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
onyx'girl, I think that the lyme vax is safer now, but not safe. All the problems that were associated with it when it first came out are still there from what I have observed and read. BUT, dogs are still dying from it, and being injured by it. The current dog vaccine is similar to the human one that was pulled from the market because of numerous problems. The ospA vaccine in humans was found to cause a debilitating arthritis in roughly 1/3 of humans with a certain genetic make-up. There is no reason to think that the same is not true for dogs, from what I've seen. And there are still dogs that are dying from kidney failure from it. Indy's problems can't be categorized, and who knows how many other dogs fall into the category of uncategorized illness from that stupid vaccine.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so should I get titers done before vaccinating? or should I just get distemper boosters at 12+ and 16+ weeks and do titers thereafter?

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Your choice.

Cheaper to revax, so that is what most people do. For those that really want to go the minimal vaccine route, they will vaccinate, and then titer later. If the titers register, then the vax took and the pup is good to go.

Some believe that after 4 months, the immune system is developed enough that that vaccine should be adequate to provide immunity. Sooner is more of an unknown.

I am incredibly and severely vaccine-shy, if I had a pup, I would vax once, titer, and then never again if protective levels were reached. If they weren't reached, I'm not sure what I would do, as further vaccines might not be effective. I would vaccinate for rabies after 6 months, as you plan too, and then boost a year later. If possible, I would get around licensing laws so that I wouldn't have to deal with the rabies requirement as my dog aged.

I hesitate to recommend any vaccines because I know how powerful they are, both positive and negative. But I try to be balanced about it on the forums.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hmm, I dont even know if my vet does titers or not. I may give boosters per Jean Dodd's schedule and then titer. what is the cost of titers, btw? and how often should one do them?

where do you guys buy Neem Oil? she keeps scratching and even though I cannot find anything on her skin I may just as well help her out. does that sound right?

Is Bug Off Garlic safe to use on puppies?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Quote:she keeps scratching
She could be allergic to her food or something in her environment.

Quote: I cannot find anything on her skin
I think some of the mites are not visable.

Was she scratching when you first brought her home or has it increased since then?

It seems our puppies got itchy when they started to change coats but your girl would be a little young for that still.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
hey mike how are those night time potty breaks going?? :)))

Here's what I do, and I'm on the shoreline in mosquito/tick infested lyme:))

With Masi, I did finish out her puppy boosters per the vet , I rabied just before the 6mth mark, because I had to register her with the town, and they require a rabies certificate. I do not do corona,(vet said no need for it here),,while I didn't want to do it, I did do the initial Lepto (vet says there IS that around here)

I did the rebooster at one year (and had to re-rabie per law at one year),,but will now titer.

Some dont, but I titer mine every year. My aussies who are 9 and 10, resepectively, haven't been vac'd in probably 4 years. (rabies yes, it's law, but when I do rabies I go with thimerisol free vac, it's a one dose vial of vac, vs the multiple dose vials which contain preservatives like mercury)

Titering costs me around 50$ per dog, a tad costly, but I don't want to put more into their systems than I have to.

I do HW from April 1 thru Dec 1. unless we are having a really mild winter, I may give them another one in Dec (not this year tho)

As for itching,,it very well may be dry air, or alot of puppies tend to be itchy, because their coat blows/changes frequently when they are really young. I like Salmon oil (grizzly salmon oil) which you can add to food.

As for tick/flea preventation..I use nothing. again, I don't like putting it on them, it's going to sink into the skin and if you get a bad reaction, well there's no getting it off:))) I haven't had fleas on my dogs in around 15 years,,ticks yes, and I do alot of woods walking, but I do nightly tick checks during tick season,

I used to do the Lyme Booster, but haven't in years. Masi had the initial start up one, but I most likely won't do another. I've never had a dog with Lyme Disease (knock on wood) Mine always tend to come up positive for anaplasmosis (equii erhlichia, another tick disease) which the booster wouldn't cover anyhow..

Hope that helps some..If you find a vet who is "up" on stuff, you shouldn't have a problem going the route you want when it comes to vac's and titers.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts