German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my pup Sadie had a vet appt. to get her second set of shots... or so I thought. She had already gotten her first set of shots when we got her. I made the appt. with the vet and told them this... they said they were just going to pretend that she didn't get the first set of shots for now. and to bring in any paper work that I had for the shots. well when we get there everything is going fine. and before she got her shots we asked the vet, "you know she already got her first set of shot's right?" and he said yes. Well then when they gave her, her shots they went ahead and gave her the first set of shots again... Why is this? They also didn't ask for the paperwork for the shots that she had already gotten. This is very disappointing, and frustrating! :mad:

·
Registered
24,301 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They need to get three series of shots.

I would go in to talk to them without the puppy, and work through it.

Depending on WHEN she got her first set of shots - they may be referring to that and immunity - but you need to have them explain it to you.

Read up on it and it will be easier to discuss with them.
Dr-Dodds-ChangingVaccProtocol
Vaccination Recommendations for Puppies (Puppy Shots)
The first time she got her first set of shots was Dec 8, 10. And today when they gave her, her first set of shots again It's the exact same vaccines so I don't understand why they did it again knowing that she already did recently. I've never heard of a vet doing this unless they didn't have proof of the shots they had before.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Was the first set of shots given by a vet or the people you got the pup from? My vet gave Kain a second set of 'first' shots because he didn't have faith in the vaccines my friends 'breeder' used. They bought theirs from Tractor Supply and the vet stated that the vaccines could have sat out on the loading docks and got too warm, causing them to lose effectiveness. So, to be safe, he gave the shots again. Sounded like a good precaution to me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was the first set of shots given by a vet or the people you got the pup from? My vet gave Kain a second set of 'first' shots because he didn't have faith in the vaccines my friends 'breeder' used. They bought theirs from Tractor Supply and the vet stated that the vaccines could have sat out on the loading docks and got too warm, causing them to lose effectiveness. So, to be safe, he gave the shots again. Sounded like a good precaution to me.
Yes they were but I didn't tell the vet that.. I've just never heard of a vet doing this before.

Also I've heard that the first 3 shots are all the same shots??

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yes they were but I didn't tell the vet that.. I've just never heard of a vet doing this before.

Also I've heard that the first 3 shots are all the same shots??
Not exactly sure, but I do know they include 'boosters' to ensure the vaccines in the previous shots took hold.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
They are all the same DAPP (or combination with L & H) shots that are given. They are given three times as a puppy, and then the dog gets them as a booster once a year. They are the exact same shots though, so your dog has gotten 2 in the series now and needs one more in 3 weeks, then it will need rabies when it is required by law, and then a booster a year from the date of the 3rd shot, or titer testing if you go that route.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Some vets don't trust vaccines given by a breeder or another vet. So they want to start fresh with vaccines from a supplier they know and trust.

I don't agree with it, but it is common practice.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are all the same DAPP (or combination with L & H) shots that are given. They are given three times as a puppy, and then the dog gets them as a booster once a year. They are the exact same shots though, so your dog has gotten 2 in the series now and needs one more in 3 weeks, then it will need rabies when it is required by law, and then a booster a year from the date of the 3rd shot, or titer testing if you go that route.
oh ok, the vet did say she needs 3 more still tho. I guess I'll just have to talk to them about it on her next appt.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I would show them the paperwork you have. If there is a label on it or package numbers, etc. then they don't have a choice but to accept it. They may try to give an extra, but as the payer and scheduler, you have the right to opt out of a 4th shot. The 4th would be completely uneccessary and possibly unhealthy.

She definitely shouldn't need 3 MORE. 3 total, yes. I would talk to the vet. Let them know you only want her getting the 3 total as that is all that is required/needed, and schedule accordingly.

·
Registered
940 Posts
My vet did that to just to be safe - at first I didn't understand but when he explained it I was fine...I'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
^ Over-vaccinating is not playing it safe.

·
Registered
686 Posts
If more than 4 weeks lapsed before the second distemper vaccination then yes, the series would need to be started again. It is common vaccine protocol to start the series over again if more than 4 weeks have passed between the primary and second vaccination or the second and third vaccination.
Did the vet actually see the proof of vaccination?

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
The vet doesn't need to see "proof" of vaccination. If you state you dog was previously vaccinated, it's your right as the puppy owner to believe the person you got the puppy from or not. They can not force you to re-vaccinate and "just start fresh" and they sure can't demand proof.

We give our pups a TOTAL of 3 sets, so if this were my puppy and I believed he was vaccinated by the person I purchased/adopted him from, then I would only get him one more set, and then a rabies which he shouldn't have had yet. I would then not revaccinate him until his 1 yr shots and after that you can decide whether you want to do them yearly or every three (which is what we do).

I'd also use that time to talk to the vet and ensure everything is explained. They should have explained to you that the puppy series is booster shots and thus are the same shot every 3 - 4 weeks. But you need to explain that you're new to this so they can talk to you. They may assume you know this, because people that've raised puppies previously understand that the shot is the same and is intended to booster their immunity.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Definitely discuss your concerns with your vet ... communicate with them. This is the doctor, or facility, that is hypothetically going to be in charge of your pup's health for the next dozen years ... you need to open up the lines of communication and get your questions and concerns answered right from the start. Don't "just trust" anything .... ask questions, get answers ... from them.

If they wont answer, or blow you off, or treat you unfairly ... go to another vet.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The vet doesn't need to see "proof" of vaccination. If you state you dog was previously vaccinated, it's your right as the puppy owner to believe the person you got the puppy from or not. They can not force you to re-vaccinate and "just start fresh" and they sure can't demand proof.
Actually a vet that ownes a private practice can demand whatever vaccines they want, especially if the animal will be staying there (hospitalized, boarding, surgery). If you disagree you are welcome to find another clinic. And, yes for the safety of their employees they CERTAINLY have the right to ask to see the proof of rabies vaccination. If groomers and training facilities have this right, why not a vet clinic?:rolleyes:
I.e. The clinic I go to requireds up to date rabies, distemper and kennel cough. And you bet if you can't show proof, then your dog will be updated.
I am willing to bet that if the OP said, "I am sorry, no vaccines." Nobody would have chased her/him screaming out of the building! :wild:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Actually a vet that ownes a private practice can demand whatever vaccines they want, especially if the animal will be staying there (hospitalized, boarding, surgery). If you disagree you are welcome to find another clinic. And, yes for the safety of their employees they CERTAINLY have the right to ask to see the proof of rabies vaccination. If groomers and training facilities have this right, why not a vet clinic?:rolleyes:
I.e. The clinic I go to requireds up to date rabies, distemper and kennel cough. And you bet if you can't show proof, then your dog will be updated.
I am willing to bet that if the OP said, "I am sorry, no vaccines." Nobody would have chased her/him screaming out of the building! :wild:
No vet can do anything to your dog without consent, actually. You don't want the shots, you don't get them. You're paying for a service, they have to give you THAT service, unless it would be unhealthy for the dog. (in the case of surgeries) No vet can say that your dog has to have a bordatella vaccine, that is up to you to decide as it is not required by law.

We aren't talking rabies vaccines here, we are talking distemper.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I think I am being misunderstood . . .
By law (in my state anyway) the vet can require whatever he/she wants, or refuse services. The owner has every right to decline any vaccination, also to walk out and choose another clinic. If the owner communicates clearly that the vaccine is not wanted, then the doctor should not give it. The doctor has the right to protect his other patients from what he/she deems to be an unvaccinated dog.
If by chance the dog was sick and spread disease throughout the clinic and another persons dog became ill, guess who is at fault? The vet!

A statement was made regarding vaccines in GENERAL! I was responding to that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts